Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 735 736 [737] 738 739 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781206 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: The Gun Mettle Update! "G'day, Mr. Hale."
« Reply #11040 on: July 20, 2015, 01:13:55 pm »

Mmmh.

Actual serious heavy advice: bring the sandvich, bring the stock minigun (highest damage that isn't impractical and doesn't needlessly light you on fire), and fight at close range.  Most people don't realize this, but heavy isn't supposed to spam people at long range.  It "works" in the sense that if they stick around they'll die eventually, but it accomplishes very little and leaves you needlessly vulnerable to snipers.  Where heavy really shines is at close range where not only does the normal damage ramp-up apply, but almost all of your "cone" of fire is hitting the enemy.  Heavy is by far the most damaging class in the game in this situation, bar edge cases like backstabbing spies.  In most cases if you're spun up and next to an enemy, its not a fight, because you've already won and its all over but the screaming.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11041 on: July 20, 2015, 01:23:29 pm »

* Descan uses only stock heavy, consistently tops the leaderboard.

Pheasants.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11042 on: July 20, 2015, 01:28:27 pm »

heavy fighting at close range

I thought that was common sense not worth bringing up. Heavy has insane DPS at close range. All the fighter classes are better fighting up close than far away, except sniper. You get the most damage per shot, projectiles have shorter travel and therefore are easier to land direct hits, etc. Only downside is the enemy is more likely to hit you too.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11043 on: July 20, 2015, 01:37:13 pm »

Technically, pyro has the highest DPS at point-blank range, IIRC. But even then, from my experience trying to circle-strafe heavies to death only works half of the time.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11044 on: July 20, 2015, 01:53:47 pm »

Actually Heavy has the highest point blank damage by far, around 500-540 Damage/second once fully revved up and at point blank range. There's been more than one occasion where I've been shooting at a revved up heavy's back, and he flicks around and kills me in a split second.

Pyro actually has the least damaging weapon for a primary of any power class at around 150 dps point blank. Phlog juice crits triples that to around 415 dps (since it has a damage penalty attached as well) but it still doesn't stack up to the ordinary damage a heavy is puttin out normally. The pyro's shotgun secondary actually has higher point blank dps if you land all your shots dead on, dealing 180 in two shots in about 1 second.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11045 on: July 20, 2015, 02:22:46 pm »

Problem is, the minigun's damage is reduced by half for the first second of firing.  So I could get the jump on somebody, but now they have a good bit more time to either focus me dead or get behind cover.  Its been around since the love and war update, but they since changed it so the accuracy nerf that went with it is mostly gone.

Scouts and Medics can escape easier. Pyros will just airblast and leave.  Soldiers and Demos will try to outdamage you and probably succeed.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #11046 on: July 20, 2015, 03:15:22 pm »

I think it's noteworthy that 'the combo' in the Highlander meta isn't heavy+medic, it's heavy+medic+pyro+demoman. The heavy's main job is to discourage opponents from rushing the demo down, not actually dealing much damage at medium range. That's the demo's job.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11047 on: July 20, 2015, 03:24:11 pm »

Heavy's job is shield of bullets, demo is DPS and pyro is projectile shield (also spychecking and putting people out)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11048 on: July 20, 2015, 04:47:03 pm »

burning things is fun
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11049 on: July 20, 2015, 05:57:54 pm »

That's what spies are for!
At least, most of the spies I fight...
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #11050 on: July 20, 2015, 07:46:04 pm »

Pyro, in my experience, excels in psychological combat. When you torch someone, you damage them initially and give them 10 seconds to panic and hope that afterburn doesn't kill them as they look for medkits. This has amazing potential to minimize the effect of a push, though still not as much on an effect as outrightly killing the opponents.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #11051 on: July 20, 2015, 08:00:00 pm »

Pyro, in my experience, excels in psychological combat. When you torch someone, you damage them initially and give them 10 seconds to panic and hope that afterburn doesn't kill them as they look for medkits. This has amazing potential to minimize the effect of a push, though still not as much on an effect as outrightly killing the opponents.
A single medic on the team would put a stop to the whole panicking medkit thing in seconds.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #11052 on: July 20, 2015, 08:05:26 pm »

A single medic on the team would put a stop to the whole panicking medkit thing in seconds.

That Medic is still trying to heal every player while the team in general struggles, so, while the pyro may not be effective, his role is vaguely understandable.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11053 on: July 20, 2015, 08:23:28 pm »

That Medic is still trying to heal every player while the team in general struggles, so, while the pyro may not be effective, his role is vaguely understandable.

I see afterburn as a way to burn resources.  Available health packs are one, but also possibly jar weapons and maybe even a sandvich.

That being said, it is still rarely lethal, albeit easy to apply.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #11054 on: July 20, 2015, 08:35:34 pm »

I see afterburn as a way to burn resources.  Available health packs are one, but also possibly jar weapons and maybe even a sandvich.

That being said, it is still rarely lethal, albeit easy to apply.

Right. I don't see afterburn as being a direct punishment.

Pages: 1 ... 735 736 [737] 738 739 ... 774