Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 774

Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: World's #1 War-Based Hat Simulator  (Read 781342 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortress 2: WAR! update! "Heads..."
« Reply #2025 on: January 09, 2010, 07:55:07 am »

Ahh, it was related to your post...

I'm a pyro. Accuracy is not an issue.  ;D

Yeah, but as previously mentioned, the pyro is an incredibly underpowered class, and shouldn't be played by anyone.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: January 09, 2010, 08:07:51 am »

Thanks for that advice.
Regarding connecting to the "main" servers, It hangs on getting server info, and I have to end process etc. Is that my internet connection or what?
It's not a firewall.
try waiting for at least 10 minutes once, or else you should redownload.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: January 09, 2010, 08:14:32 am »

So far I've only waited around 5 minutes before my patience expires and I alt-tab etc, but I'll just join a server later (read: in an hour or so) and wait for it to either a) tell me I've timed out or b) join
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2028 on: January 09, 2010, 09:05:27 am »

Yeah, but as previously mentioned, the pyro is an incredibly underpowered class, and shouldn't be played by anyone.

Nah, it takes skill + good knowledge of the maps to actually use a pyro effectively.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: January 09, 2010, 09:49:20 am »

No. Pyros are bad and should never be used. I mean what's the use of a class that does nothing but run around burning their own team randomly?! Also, as an engineer, always stay as far as possible from your sentry.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: January 09, 2010, 10:19:46 am »

Yay!
I managed to connect and have 4 or 5 rounds as a demoman.
However, It's apparent I'm gonna have to invest in a new GFX card before I play heavily.

PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: January 09, 2010, 01:39:00 pm »

Nah, it takes skill + good knowledge of the maps to actually use a pyro effectively.

I've always thought Heavy could do everything Pyro can.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: January 09, 2010, 02:15:05 pm »

Apart from being lame, toon.

Apart from being lame...

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: January 09, 2010, 02:16:18 pm »

Apart from being lame, toon.

Apart from being lame...
*mows jakkarra down with natasha*

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: January 09, 2010, 02:17:20 pm »

You appear to have misunderstood, The heavy is incapable of being lame.

Speaking of which, he does more damage when crouched and firing. CROUCH AND FIRE. DO IT. DO IT NOW.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: January 09, 2010, 02:18:56 pm »

Yeah, there's just some things.
That.
Cannot.
Be.
Disliked.

I don't know how you can dislike the Heavy.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: January 09, 2010, 02:33:27 pm »

This is quite false. A pyro who's in the right position at the right time can cause extreme damage and confusion. Not only does his flame (especially if 'twirled') draw attention, the airblast can be used to buy enough time for an escape. If you live, which most decent pyros do, you've not only taken half or more of everyone's HP but you've also broken the line.

Think of pyros as molten war dogs. You unleash them at the correct time in the correct place and you've got a screaming, flaming, confused group of enemies who are desperately trying to find water, a med-pack, or the pyro. That's all it takes sometimes. This is only one of the uses of the pyro. Granted he's not good for EVERY situation, but that's why knowing multiple classes is a good thing!

And as far as the "no aim required" argumenet goes, I've found that using the flamethrower effectively DOES require a bit of aiming focus. Example:

You run into an enemy crowd consisting of 1 resting demoman, 1 medic, 1 engineer, 1 soldier, and 1 dispenser.
The wrong way-   You wildly spurt fire everywhere in hopes that you'll get a kill or two before exploding. The soldier blows you up immediately.

The right way- You quickly mark each player in your mind with a kill priority. Soldier first, demo at the same time if possible, then the medic and engineer. Lastly the dispenser.
Now that you have an actual game plan, you'll need to execute it smoothly. Taking out the soldier and demo quickly is a must and therefore you'll need to focus ALL of your damage on them before the confusion wears off. Getting a feel for the thrower will allow you to arc your flame while you strafe, causing every bit of the fire to hit the enemy. Strafe, jump, duck, all while pouring napalm on your targets. When the two are down, do a quick twirl to ignite everyone else and begin working on your next targets.

You could also simply set them on fire and hide while your heavy/medic friends jump from behind a corner. Flaming fish in a barrel! As a bonus you can sneak back up and roast them while they attempt to take out your pals.

Damage output from the flamethrower all depends on where it's aimed, how long it's aimed, and if the flame even hits. You'll notice that with 1 on 1 pyro battles your flame will often 'derail'. These moments are wonderful fire arcing practice. If you can keep your flame on the enemy pyro the ENTIRE time he's strafing and carrying on then you know you're ready for a large scale surprise attack. It does take skill to pull one of those off.. and a bit of luck, of course.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: January 09, 2010, 02:54:02 pm »

tl;dr: wm1

;D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: January 09, 2010, 04:54:17 pm »

Yeah, there's just some things.
That.
Cannot.
Be.
Disliked.

I don't know how you can dislike the Heavy.
Yes. And it isn't even like there's a giant target on his back at all...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: January 09, 2010, 05:07:41 pm »

You can't really hate the Heavy as any class.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 774