Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2135803 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8760 on: August 19, 2014, 11:33:58 pm »

I was playing adventure mode. Ran into a night creature, and started fighting.

Then second night creature joined the fray and started attacking the first.

I started celebrating a little, thinking him to be a friend.

But after the first one died, the second slaughtered me. :(

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: August 20, 2014, 01:41:58 pm »

I was playing adventure mode. Ran into a night creature, and started fighting.

Then second night creature joined the fray and started attacking the first.

I started celebrating a little, thinking him to be a friend.

But after the first one died, the second slaughtered me. :(
Quote from: Maxim 29
The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less.

Spoiler: Troll story (click to show/hide)
You got off lucky. A troll once killed almost my entire fort with a coat. There was only one survivor, my doctor, who was saved because he was gathering webs in the caverns. The troll then left via the surface, presumably to wreak coat-havoc on the world.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: August 20, 2014, 01:54:30 pm »

I actually had 2 more friendly trolls show up. One destroyed a door in my cavern wall (I need the door for access to water until I can improve things), but decided to stay where he was in front of the door. Fortunately for me I was planning on putting a bridge there anyways, so I did that with the Troll still there. Now's he's stuck in a pit under my bridge until I decide to raise the bridge for something. He's a cute little fort mascot now. If a FB shows up in that same cavern layer I can make him fight the troll :D.

Meanwhile more trogs showed up on the surface for some reason (or ran through my fort when I wasn't looking), but some bugged out undead Stork's decided they were tired of standing idle and devoured them all.

The 3rd troll wandered inside and hung around until he too got a dwarven greeting by a passing by miner and his pick.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:56:15 pm by Slogo »

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: August 20, 2014, 09:09:18 pm »

Two of my legendary miners just managed to encase themselves in ice while digging a channel.

Derp.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: August 20, 2014, 10:34:25 pm »

So, for the curious, if you forbid the crap around your trade depot, and manage to forbid the depot itself, it is considered missing by the traders.

D'oh.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: August 21, 2014, 10:54:37 am »

Two of my legendary miners just managed to encase themselves in ice while digging a channel.

Derp.

One way to help that is to dig a down stairs then an upstairs (or up+down stairs) on the tile below. Let the tile fill with water, which won't freeze because the downstair tile keeps the tile below "inside". Your dwarf might temporarily drown, but he should be smart enough to get himself upstairs. You may need to dig the downstairs twice if there's ice on the tile above, the first downstairs only removes the ice.

Once you've done that channel out the downstairs. Instead of there being a delay in the water flowing into the tile it should just immediately freeze. Even more so it leaves no 'down stair' behind so your dwarves can't move down into the stairs. I've still had dwarves freeze with this method, I think usually if you do a row of them all at once they do some weird things, but it's much more rare and has to do with one dwarf digging the ground out from another dwarf or something.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:44:02 pm by Slogo »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: August 21, 2014, 05:39:47 pm »

Wanna hear a joke?

So dwarf walks into a crypt to stockpile its mummy . . .
This
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: August 21, 2014, 06:06:46 pm »

It seems appropriate that my first ever Bay12 forum post should be a face palm moment, knowing the reputation of this game.

My last fort, Cryptyouth, was attacked by a marsh titan which mauled many livestock animals grazing outside before heading for the fortress entrance. Some military dwarves were gathered inside, and the hallway was lined with cage traps. I didn't expect to cage the titan - the cages were to catch keas and the goblins which never came - but I didn't expect what happened, either.

The marsh titan was a webslinger, and coated many of my dwarves in web, stunning them. As it charged through the fortress entrance, it triggered the cage traps, which had no effect. 4 dead dwarves later, a swordmaster struck it in the lower body and the severed part sailed off in an arc, slaying it. (That steel short sword must not have been so short after all). As the mess cleared and some tantrumming marksdwarves were dragged off to jail, I noticed a large number of "dwarf (♂) cages" in my animal stockpile, and more lying in the entrance hall. Sure enough, much of my military and an unfortunate baby had been caged by the falling traps. I was unable to pasture the dwarves, so I tried building the cages and unassigning them, but not all would construct properly, or so it seemed at least. I should have tried to sell some to traders for !!science!!, but eventually I got them all out after several months of confinement and occasional water brought by dwarves with nothing better to do, like storing an item in a stockpile, attending a party or going On Break from a party. The dwarves seemed to see no difference between their own caged friends and the gorlaks we had trapped in the caverns below.

This is a tie with the time an unfortunate web collector was mauled by a molemarian in a cavern and was left to suffer infection and injury while 1 doctor partied, another went On Break and a third insisted on storing items in stockpiles until I conscripted a farmer to do the job. The web collector, unsurprisingly, died.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: August 21, 2014, 06:45:27 pm »

Note to self, don't use the military to kill the former Fortress Guard (Lawdwarf) that had been isolated in a mining tunnel after being bitten and infected by a Werelizard before going berserk.

Or at the very least double check that he isn't "Friends" with nearly the entire population before doing so...

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: August 22, 2014, 12:49:49 am »

Accidentally mined upwards into a cavern filled with water.

Now I won't see double-digit FPS until it finishes flooding the lower parts of my fortress ;_;

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: August 22, 2014, 10:04:29 pm »

I just got this message: "Lorsham has created a masterpiece *gabbro figurine of Eshtin Cobaltsculpture*

Really? out of ALL the names, his family has that one? You know, in this age, people had their last names based off of the job the family was known for. Such as "Baker" or "Cooper." What, did one of his ancestors make a REALLY awesome sculpture out of cobalt?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: August 23, 2014, 12:44:23 pm »

I just got this message: "Lorsham has created a masterpiece *gabbro figurine of Eshtin Cobaltsculpture*

Really? out of ALL the names, his family has that one? You know, in this age, people had their last names based off of the job the family was known for. Such as "Baker" or "Cooper." What, did one of his ancestors make a REALLY awesome sculpture out of cobalt?

Last names are not family names.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: August 24, 2014, 02:42:44 am »

Note to self, don't use the military to kill the former Fortress Guard (Lawdwarf) that had been isolated in a mining tunnel after being bitten and infected by a Werelizard before going berserk.

Or at the very least double check that he isn't "Friends" with nearly the entire population before doing so...
thank you for reminding me my master military general will probably go were rabbit (don't really remember what he will turn into)on me. he got bitten before the creatures head was killed

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: August 24, 2014, 05:29:35 am »

Dear Merchants:

While I appreciate you bringing a large volume of goods to trade, if you NEVER finish your unloading before you decide to leave, why the hell did you show up?!  I've had someone standing on that platform constantly checking to see if you're done yet since you got here.  Now you've decided to pack up.

ARGH.  Dammit, take my lousy clothing with you at least?  It's right there!

*mutter*

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
  • Not as cool as your glasses, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: August 25, 2014, 02:19:05 pm »

Tried to demolish the trade depot so I can have all the wonderful dwarven goods.
Unfortunately I dun goof'd, so to speak. Now my dwarves won't touch most of the goods and the merchants have decided to stay put, long after they were supposed to leave.
Half tempted to wall them in and drown them. Hmm...
You can lead a horse to water, you can leave your horse behind.
'Cause your horse don't dance and if he don't dance, then he's no horse of mine.
ASK ME ABOUT MY OBSCURELY LARGE MEKHQ ARMY
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 729