Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130812 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1140 on: February 18, 2010, 08:06:25 pm »

Isn't there a hotkey to zoom to an announcement?
Is there? I glanced through the help and the wiki and I couldn't find one. If you know of one, please share!

No.

Next version, however, yes:
Quote from: Devlog 2-21-2009
Those that have associated locations are zoomable from the announcement/report screens.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: February 19, 2010, 09:00:40 am »

Playing in a haunted area, I see that there is no living thing in my chasm. It's FULL of zombies, but no skreatures either. My Liason showed up on the far side of the chasm. I'll take a moment to explain what happened next:

[CREATURE:SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:300:300]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:100:100]

He revealed eight of them before dying. This is not the facepalm. The facepalm is when two seperate migrant waves showed up in the same spot. It turns out, there are TWO groups of ZGCS on the far side of the chasm. The first migrants (in autumn) died tragic, hilarious deaths. The second wave had two survivors, who were smart/fast enough to outrun the zombies.

Both were peasants.

On a side note, when 80 GCS form their "hunting webs" in the same place... (Spoilered for neatness)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There was a peasant standing on the area when the uberweb was formed, so I got 80 cycles of "erith Ostarrigoth, Peasant has become entangled in a hidden web!" followed by "An ambush! Drive them out!"

EDIT: Also shown in the image is a zombie rhesus macaque (one of about 80) and a zombie batman (one of about 45).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:58:42 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: February 19, 2010, 10:18:20 am »

picked an embark site with a cave for the lulz, embarked as usual. checked unit list for any reason to dig in and never come out. cue face palm, seeing 5 giant cave spiders already revealed in said cave.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: February 19, 2010, 06:18:28 pm »

On a side note, when 80 GCS form their "hunting webs" in the same place... (Spoilered for neatness)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My gods, it's full of stars!
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: February 19, 2010, 07:46:08 pm »

My biggest was the death of my very first fortress, which I foolishly tried to do without looking at any sort of guide or anything. I dug into an underground river, expecting it to sit there and give my dwarves water. Uh, bad idea.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: February 20, 2010, 03:30:39 am »

i totally just forgot about the merchants that were in my depot.

they left when i realized it.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: February 20, 2010, 07:45:08 am »

yes this, I do this ALOT
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: February 20, 2010, 03:31:26 pm »

I just realised that I gave my Warsmith (Proficient Weapon / Armoursmithing) armoursmithing and blacksmithing instead. On the considerable upside, I only realised this when his mood produced a steel coffin.

(By the way, I thought that in the event of a tie, whichever skill was first on the list got chosen for a mood?)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: February 20, 2010, 03:57:42 pm »

yes this, I do this ALOT
Done that a few times myself, usually because I get bored waiting for them to unpack.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: February 20, 2010, 07:24:01 pm »

I just realised that I gave my Warsmith (Proficient Weapon / Armoursmithing) armoursmithing and blacksmithing instead. On the considerable upside, I only realised this when his mood produced a steel coffin.

(By the way, I thought that in the event of a tie, whichever skill was first on the list got chosen for a mood?)
In a tie I'm not exactly sure (it would take ages to find out), but ties are quite rare: if you have even 1 xp more in blacksmithing it will choose that one every time [citation needed].

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: February 20, 2010, 07:31:29 pm »

Went to make a well stream, and forgot that water pressure applied to the channel next to my stairway. One honorable sacrifice later, problem solved.... (I hope it stays that way....)
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

teloft

• Bay Watcher
  • We found the zirilid stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: February 20, 2010, 07:44:41 pm »

discovering the d->b menu.

oh god, the finger-destroying ages spent with the k tool manually dumping individual stones

Oh man same here for me.

I remember digging out a large room, and then sighing as I would press 'k' then I'd press right, D, right, D, right, D etc etc until i marked like 200 stones for dumping.

Then someone showed me mass dumping...  I love that man.

I totaly missed the howl "k" thing until just a few weeks ago. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:50:10 pm by teloft »
We found the zirilid stream

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: February 20, 2010, 08:54:16 pm »

In a tie I'm not exactly sure (it would take ages to find out), but ties are quite rare: if you have even 1 xp more in blacksmithing it will choose that one every time [citation needed].
Quite rare in an established fortress, but I hadn't set up any metalworking at that point and it was one of the founders who got the mood.

DT is currently reporting 3,500XP for Armoursmithing and 13,501XP for Blacksmithing (I have the dwarves as slow learners to cut down on easy Legendaries. It affects everything XP-related, apparently). I don't know where the heck that single solitary XP came from, but that seems to be the trouble. The only thing I can think of is the time I built a forge solely to stop thieves from strolling off with my anvil, but I don't know. Currently I'm trying to stop the fort from starving, so testing is out for the moment.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: February 21, 2010, 07:57:06 am »

Tryied to block a dead of winter freezing brook, lost three miners because the work window only lasts for about 100turns...and now I am highly confused because my floodgates I build on the brook floor dont seem to do anything...they might start open...so now I have mechanics that have to brave the winter work...

/facepalm now, /facepalm later.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: February 21, 2010, 01:18:28 pm »

I just did this one late last night...

I'm preparing to tap the underground river I have... it's actually located 8 floors up above "ground" level compared to the rest of the fort, and I have a bottomless pit, so my first order of business was to make a giant "water tower", a 6x6 vertical tube 23 z tiles tall to store (and pressurize, it's halfway across the map from everything I want to connect water to) the water, and a channel along the lowest floor leading to the bottomless chasm as a "drain" I can link to in case of emergencies.  Except, instead of just being 6x6, I took off the corner tiles, so that it looks somewhat "rounded".  So, I dig out three of the "walls" off the start, digging channels back towards the staircase, where I will wall the place off.

I start digging, but then forget that support/cave-ins don't include diagonal support while designating channeling. 

CAVE IN!  It flings my worker backward, and she's dazed because she was standing near the cave in, but she isn't crushed... except it flings her into the channel I already dug... about 19 z levels straight down to the bottom, where only 23 stones are there to break her fall.

Incidentally, her head actually bounced an entire floor up, while her arms and legs stayed in the same tile.

You'd think I would have figured out how not to cause cave-ins by now...  and she was really close to hitting legendary, too, so it's going to be a pain to train replacements, especially since I've been uncovering all these ore veins, but holding off on digging them out until more of my workers were at "master" level or higher.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 729