Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126564 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1710 on: May 17, 2010, 08:42:01 am »

Playing 40D.

Soldier dies from bruised arm.

Okay.

Edit:

Another soldier was fighting in the middle of a hallway, with a veritable rain of arrows pouring at him. Some hit the walls, some hit other soldiers, and some hit cats further down. One struck him and he flashed yellow. He had a broken wrist, I breathe out in relief.

Another arrow strikes. I check. It took his face off.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:54:00 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: May 17, 2010, 03:19:43 pm »

Another soldier was fighting in the middle of a hallway, with a veritable rain of arrows pouring at him. Some hit the walls, some hit other soldiers, and some hit cats further down. One struck him and he flashed yellow. He had a broken wrist, I breathe out in relief.

Another arrow strikes. I check. It took his face off.
Maybe he facepalmed because he didn't dodge the arrow to the wrist?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: May 19, 2010, 08:49:19 am »

Now I know the game really hates me.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: May 19, 2010, 09:14:31 am »

Now I know the game really hates me.

The game doesn't hate you, it's just sharing the love!

Share some magma love with the noble who made it too =D
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: May 19, 2010, 09:54:35 am »

The game doesn't hate you, it's just sharing the love!

Share some magma love with the noble who made it too =D

Wonderful idea! He's just friends with half the fortress. What's the worst that could happen?
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Delphinus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: May 19, 2010, 01:28:16 pm »

Placing a wooden floodgate on my magma control system.

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: May 19, 2010, 04:18:24 pm »

in 31.03 my best fortress so far is suffering from the multiple mayors bug.  This means i am having a hard time keeping up with demands, and my dwarves are being punished from disobeying lots of things.  So i decided to build a jail, the first time i have actually done so.  Well, turns out that my dwarves are very un-apathetic or too busy to give my prisoners water, so they keep dying of dehydration.  Then i read the wiki and yes, you can and should put a food stockpile in each prison cell.  nice.
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

Talmanaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: May 19, 2010, 04:54:41 pm »

So I find a very very nice location, at least for a newbie like me, with a nice river right next to a volcano!

so I start, begin to carve out my home, bam, run smack dab into Damp ground.
so I look for some way to drain it thinking it to be simply a pocket of trapped water, I dig into the "bubble" next to the side with my
volcano etrance.

Turns out, It wan an aquafier.

At least I've got mud If I can build a floor over the obsidian... no wait, it'll be flooded... well I got the volcano to stop flooding, At least it's a minor victory :-\

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:12:46 pm by Talmanaze »

Egregius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: May 19, 2010, 06:47:06 pm »

Maybe he facepalmed because he didn't dodge the arrow to the wrist?
I LOL'd.
Every time I see the letter c I think of cats, then genocide, then delicious stew.

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: May 19, 2010, 11:56:26 pm »

I find a nice site with some volcanic rock, stock search finds a decent cavern (unexplored as of yet, thank you forbidden clothing!) about 116 levels down. I'm by an ocean, on land with trees, temperate climate, somehow there is a bit of fish and I can eek out a decent living. By dealing with elves I picked up war elephants and leopards (both in breeding pairs!). They should hold off until enemies arrive (baby snatchers have been spotted). I'm doing well, and decide it would be nice to add in a second stairwell as the main entrance was getting crowded. I get a "damp stone" warning, ignore it since it's raining. And then, post-fact, realize I'd originally dug into a rock vein to pierce the lower levels--this allowed me to sidestep the aquifers on the way down. Well, now I have an aquifer flooding into my base. I arduously close down all mining routes and try to dig a channel with a wall behind it (if the dwarves are caught they'll just dig a stairway to safety).The builders say the water is too deep! (2/7) and my two legendary miners immediately go on break upon hearing of a massive wall of water coming their way. The third miner, a newbie, somehow suffers a bout of narcolepsy--which was NOT mentioned in his [z]. Since he was on the lowest level (the quarry), and now has 4/7 water blocking the exit, he just yawns and takes a nap in the face of a fountain of gushing water. Fun is currently in progress. I think, if he wakes up, he should dig down to find that cavern..

Facepalm knowledge: Maybe a little travel inefficiency is a good thing. It beats work inefficiency, which is arguably just as disastrous. Wish I had some magma, I'd sort this right out.
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: May 20, 2010, 12:13:27 am »

Eh. Rain doesnt produce water. It only turns on murky pool water regeneration, and cleans stuff

SheepishOne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: May 20, 2010, 12:28:23 am »

Eh. Rain doesnt produce water. It only turns on murky pool water regeneration, and cleans stuff
It's good to know it works more like a prime than a depositing force, and hopefully my "cave and forget" project succeeds--or at least gives my dwarves some time to relocate. I've breached the cavern and the miner is consigned to his fate, so we'll see how it goes. On a positive note, my carpenter was struck by a strange mood and produced a nice wooden casket. At least the miner will ceremonially float after his death! 

This was my first foray in about a year, so I'm in the process of updating my archaic dwarf brain. Irrigating crops again, the new military system, and basic things like knowing not to make soap in this version, were really taking up my cerebral processing power. Who knew digging in a straight line would be my undoing? :D
You're flocked if you do and flocked if ya don't.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: May 20, 2010, 08:21:50 am »

A goblin getting "pitted" broke free and in his rampage fell off my main drawbridge into my water filled bridge-pit ( at 5/7 ).
He sat there (coincidentally along with a lost and forgotten puppy that had also fallen off the bridge) in the water scaring everyone trying to do anything near my main entrance, which is pretty much everyone.

So i decide to open up the floodgate to get teh pit to 7/7 water and drown the bugger.

It slowly fills up, im hoping its over soon cos everyone is panicking rather than doing anything useful.

Water hits (7/7) success! He starts drowning....

...Then he just climbs out of the full-to-the-brim pit pool and walks off.

*facepalm*

Thankfully my millitary nab him before he can hurt anyone properly.

Im now digging a drainage ditch/cystern to drain my bridge pool pit.

Ivar360

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: May 20, 2010, 03:25:11 pm »

Had a great spot for a fort, started on the farm and some stockpiles when I noticed the stockpile was not getting filled.
My starting caravan/cart thing had been placed right next to a river and all the dorfs were too scared of what was inside to get near my supplies. So, I had a look expecting some real nasty evil carps or something and found "Harmless Minnow". My fort was killed by 3 fish called Harmless minnow!  >:(

bloodtoes

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: May 20, 2010, 05:06:54 pm »

Goblins rushing my fort through the open draw bridge, I order the bridge raised by the civ dwarf sent to do it doesn't get there in time and runs off scared instead. I send my army in to fight the goblins.. and were victorious. At that moment, with my entire army standing on the draw bridge and surrounded by moat, that civ dwarf runs in and pulls the lever...
Tekkud Udosdakost, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: interrupted by Carp.
Tekkud Udosdakost has bled to death.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 729