Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126562 times)

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1770 on: May 30, 2010, 01:27:26 pm »

Isn't that floodgate going to be lever operated anyway?  Just build one and get him out.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: May 30, 2010, 01:59:58 pm »

So much facepalming in my new fort, and it all has to do with the new military.

1) I embarked expecting to augment my food stores with hunting--and promptly discovered that crossbows basically don't work.

2) After playing with squad settings and getting familiar with them, decided to issue a kill order on a giant desert scorpion. A) The marksdwarf (who was cross-trained in hammers and therefore not completely useless) decided she was scared to leave the barracks, and kept running back every time she got more than ten squares away. B) My woodcutter/axedwarf, despite having successfully swapped between civilian and military status several times, decides that this time he needs to drop his axe before charging into battle. Hilarity ensued.

3) Marksdwarf gets over her phobia and catches the scorpion right at the edge of the map. She swings, she hits! --and the crossbow gets stuck in the wound. Oops.

4) One month later, I am informed that "Berlar, Giant Desert Scorpion has become attached to a pair of (pig tail trousers)!" Upon investigation I discover that yes, Berlar is wielding the unfortunate axedwarf's trousers and

5) beating the poor marksdwarf to a pulp with them. Literally. (Missing teeth, damaged organs, broken spine, massive bleeding...) Also, when the trousers get stuck in a wound, Berlar twists them.

6) Three months later, they're still at it. The poor marksdwarf is in even worse condition, but will not die. Or get hungry or thirsty, come to think of it. (I'm periodically taking screenshots of her [z] screen. The wounds section is running over 40 lines now.) I've had to disable the "Recover wounded" labor on all my dwarves due to job-cancellation spam.

7) In the middle of all of this, I noticed a new combat report. Apparently one of my war dogs killed a vulture, making it the best hunter AND fighter in my fort. And to think that I normally just tie them up to spot thieves...
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: May 30, 2010, 02:09:45 pm »

So much facepalming in my new fort, and it all has to do with the new military.

1) I embarked expecting to augment my food stores with hunting--and promptly discovered that crossbows basically don't work.

2) After playing with squad settings and getting familiar with them, decided to issue a kill order on a giant desert scorpion. A) The marksdwarf (who was cross-trained in hammers and therefore not completely useless) decided she was scared to leave the barracks, and kept running back every time she got more than ten squares away. B) My woodcutter/axedwarf, despite having successfully swapped between civilian and military status several times, decides that this time he needs to drop his axe before charging into battle. Hilarity ensued.

3) Marksdwarf gets over her phobia and catches the scorpion right at the edge of the map. She swings, she hits! --and the crossbow gets stuck in the wound. Oops.

4) One month later, I am informed that "Berlar, Giant Desert Scorpion has become attached to a pair of (pig tail trousers)!" Upon investigation I discover that yes, Berlar is wielding the unfortunate axedwarf's trousers and

5) beating the poor marksdwarf to a pulp with them. Literally. (Missing teeth, damaged organs, broken spine, massive bleeding...) Also, when the trousers get stuck in a wound, Berlar twists them.

6) Three months later, they're still at it. The poor marksdwarf is in even worse condition, but will not die. Or get hungry or thirsty, come to think of it. (I'm periodically taking screenshots of her [z] screen. The wounds section is running over 40 lines now.) I've had to disable the "Recover wounded" labor on all my dwarves due to job-cancellation spam.

7) In the middle of all of this, I noticed a new combat report. Apparently one of my war dogs killed a vulture, making it the best hunter AND fighter in my fort. And to think that I normally just tie them up to spot thieves...

Kill orders are bugged. Issue move orders, either directly at the creature (if you're pretty sure you can take it with your fastest dwarf) or a few squares away, then once the dwarfs arrive, at the creature (if you need the ability to group up).

Yelloq

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAVE_ADAPT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: May 30, 2010, 07:11:04 pm »

A while back, in 40d, I was digging out sleeping quarters for my entire fortress (one room per dwarf. One facepalm right there, because the rooms ended up being meager anyways.) when I found some 'damp' stone. So I said "WTF, damp? Maybe 1 water level?" Boy was I fucking wrong. It was an aquifier. There went most of my rooms. Next, I decide to stop the huge surge of water from getting to my other rooms. I build half a wall, get job cancellation. Dig downward stair way INTO MY MINES. Water floods down, but continues into my fort. I finally build a full wall, and I am finally safe from the flood.
I count 3 facepalms.
as complicated as dressing up in a clown suit and abducting every male child in the fort, cutting off their penises, peeling the foreskins off and wearing them like finger puppets and secluding oneself in a workshop where one just sits there making little plays with the finger puppets.
i am now completely worried

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: May 31, 2010, 05:07:52 am »

Isn't that floodgate going to be lever operated anyway?  Just build one and get him out.
It's not one I ever intend to open so why waste the time and resources on building mechanisms and linking them for the sake of a dumb farmer? :P I did dig him out so I'm not a complete bastard.  :)
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: May 31, 2010, 05:16:29 am »

It's not one I ever intend to open so why waste the time and resources on building mechanisms and linking them for the sake of a dumb farmer? :P I did dig him out so I'm not a complete bastard.  :)

Admit it, he just had too many friends and you didn't feel like dealing with a tantrum spiral. :P

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: May 31, 2010, 07:30:43 am »

Admit it, he just had too many friends and you didn't feel like dealing with a tantrum spiral. :P
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

RumblingNoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: May 31, 2010, 09:47:30 am »

So.. I had this brilliant idea about piercing the aquifer during winter but the results were less than satisfactory...

Ambushed by the cursed spring  >:(
This is a forum post (text). All Craftsdwarfship is of the lowest quality. It is encrusted with typos, decorated with personal insults and (funny) pictures and encircled with flaming. It is made from text. This post menaces with dry humor and poor writing. On the post is an image of smellbad the sweaty sock in color.
On the post is a personal opinion of RumblingNoise the dwarf in black text. The dwarf is cursing. The artwork relates to the crafting of a post in 20XX.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: May 31, 2010, 02:38:45 pm »

Still newish, so I don't have all that many stories.

1. Miner channeling himself off a cliff. Twice. Same miner.

2. As with many others, "offer" at trading.

3. From reading this thread: I assigned my arsenal dwarf to the military. The bookkeeping involved with that is a civilian job, and a bug can prevent military dwarves from ever returning to civvie life.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: May 31, 2010, 04:22:24 pm »

Assign another arsenal dwarf?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: May 31, 2010, 09:41:58 pm »

Hindsight's a pain, isn't it?
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Asellus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: May 31, 2010, 11:54:42 pm »

I have a tendency to zone out when playing games, often times playing for several hours only to find out I have no idea what I've done.
After doing that while playing, I noticed I had a lever, which, for reasons beyond my understanding, I decided to pull. I have no idea why I made a lever to destroy a mountain.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: June 01, 2010, 01:34:02 am »

I have a tendency to zone out when playing games, often times playing for several hours only to find out I have no idea what I've done.
After doing that while playing, I noticed I had a lever, which, for reasons beyond my understanding, I decided to pull. I have no idea why I made a lever to destroy a mountain.
Asellus has been posessed!
Asellus has claimed a mountain!
Asellus has begun a mysterious construction!
Asellus has crafted Stonefall, a granite doomsday device!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

docawesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: June 01, 2010, 01:56:54 am »

I started out with one miner thinking that would be enough and the first message I got was that a raccoon stole my one pick axe, never before have I felt so defeated.

Obibun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: June 01, 2010, 03:35:30 am »

I started out with one miner thinking that would be enough and the first message I got was that a raccoon stole my one pick axe, never before have I felt so defeated.

Okay, I laughed.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 729