Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126631 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #1845 on: June 11, 2010, 08:23:01 pm »

I forgot that you can't cast an anvil at the smelter in vanilla. (I added that reaction for practice, and got used to it being there.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: June 12, 2010, 12:33:21 am »

Things were going pretty well on my new ocean fort. Then my Forgemaster suddenly died. Not sure how, though I think a Kobold thief knifed him and I didn't notice. He died of thirst since I didn't have a stable water source established.

No big deal though. After all, it's just one dwarf......oh, my mason just went berserk. I guess I'll have to kill him to......WTF WHY IS THE GRAVEYARD FILLED WITH TWELVE CORPSES!?!?

Yeah. That's how things went for me in my last fortress. In the span of about 5 minutes, a dozen dwarves died without me noticing. I have no idea how this happened, so I'm save scumming. I don't mind losing my fort so long as I actually know what the hell happened. Right now it looks like those dwarves dropped dead for no reason, since I only got the announcement for the Forgemasters death.

EDIT: Just checked my game. Apparently, I ran out of booze without noticing, so all of my dwarves simultaneously died from thirst. I feel really stupid.

EDIT 2: Even when putting up a well as quickly as possible, I still lose 6 dwarves. Tantrum spiral, here I come.

EDIT 3: Make that 7. Dwarven intelligence; placing construction ahead of basic survival.

EDIT 4: 8. I lost 8 dwarves to this one mistake.

EDIT 5: 10. ::)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:42:57 am by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: June 12, 2010, 09:11:33 am »

Hi!

Things were going pretty well on my new ocean fort. Then my Forgemaster suddenly died. Not sure how, though I think a Kobold thief knifed him and I didn't notice. He died of thirst since I didn't have a stable water source established.
EDIT 2: Even when putting up a well as quickly as possible, I still lose 6 dwarves. Tantrum spiral, here I come.

Just to make sure, your well is not salt water, is it? I would expect it, given that you are at the ocean...

Deathworks

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: June 12, 2010, 11:26:19 am »

Hi!

Just to make sure, your well is not salt water, is it? I would expect it, given that you are at the ocean...

Deathworks

Last time i read the wiki, it said wells automatically purified any water pumped through it. I thought that hadn't changed. If it did, then my fortress has no chance.

EDIT: Just checked the wiki, and it appears you are right. I'm surprised this hasn't caused any problems yet.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:41:27 am by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: June 12, 2010, 02:51:17 pm »

Hi!

Deathworks

Last time i read the wiki, it said wells automatically purified any water pumped through it. I thought that hadn't changed. If it did, then my fortress has no chance.

EDIT: Just checked the wiki, and it appears you are right. I'm surprised this hasn't caused any problems yet.
I suppose some of them still got a little amout of alcohol in their rooms hidden. I recently found one of my dwarfs (a noble of course) who had stuck some 20 units in his own room it wasn't a stockpile just in containers.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: June 12, 2010, 03:19:52 pm »

Hi!

So, salt water in the well? I hadn't checked the wiki and I always stayed clear of salt water, but I remember that people mentioned that desalination require smoothed/artificial walls and I think there was a grave danger of even a single natural tile would contaminate the water - but these are just things I remember from the top of my head, so they may be off.

So, I guess we should never underestimate the dangerous features :) :) :)

Deathworks

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: June 12, 2010, 03:50:40 pm »

Realizing that Art defacement is a serious problem.

need to make it so legendaries aren't making my to-be-melted cages.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: June 13, 2010, 01:15:54 pm »

I had a huge food industry going in the early game, I had so much food I made millions through trade and still had enough to feed my fort (Only about 20 dwarves) thrice. I traded off tons of food one season, and those hungry bastards back at the capital started to catch on to what was going on around them. "These guys at Bakedbread have tons of food huh" "Yeah lets bring some friends over and eat like kings" "I hear they have an awesome dining hall too!". Next year I get about 40 migrants in two-ish waves. Those morons ate my fort away and starved to death, and I had no idea that more migrants would come, nor did I plan for them. My legendary kitchen ended up as a (final) resting place for angry, starving, bedroom-less dwarves.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:17:50 pm by ILikePie »

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: June 13, 2010, 02:26:48 pm »

My prison, in the fortress in the Land of Sorrows. Its a combination prison. Microcline, Granite, Mica. Dug out that way, its a very rich area. The prison is nearly complete. I just need to finish the last 3 rooms in terms of chains and doors. 11 rooms need beds and stocked personal stockpiles of food. And some statues and engravings.

But otherwise, should someone break the law. My prison is up and running...

So, I'm trying to get things finished with Microcline doors, and all that nice anti-tantrum stuff, when I find all these Dwarves hanging out in my prison. I'm like "Whut?". Then I read some of their thoughts. They're admiring the chain's. Which are silver. Okay, cool. I had a skilled Dwarf make them, so, bound to happen. Back to work. Suddenly "The Glassmaker Mosus Cerolfikod has organized a party at Silver Chain".

They are throwing a party, in my prison. They're throwing a PARTY in the place that will be their holding pen when they BREAK THE LAW.  :o
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: June 13, 2010, 02:53:40 pm »

My prison, in the fortress in the Land of Sorrows. Its a combination prison. Microcline, Granite, Mica. Dug out that way, its a very rich area. The prison is nearly complete. I just need to finish the last 3 rooms in terms of chains and doors. 11 rooms need beds and stocked personal stockpiles of food. And some statues and engravings.

But otherwise, should someone break the law. My prison is up and running...

So, I'm trying to get things finished with Microcline doors, and all that nice anti-tantrum stuff, when I find all these Dwarves hanging out in my prison. I'm like "Whut?". Then I read some of their thoughts. They're admiring the chain's. Which are silver. Okay, cool. I had a skilled Dwarf make them, so, bound to happen. Back to work. Suddenly "The Glassmaker Mosus Cerolfikod has organized a party at Silver Chain".

They are throwing a party, in my prison. They're throwing a PARTY in the place that will be their holding pen when they BREAK THE LAW.  :o
I now present to you: The Dwarven Prison Song, by Urist McConvict

~"I stole a roast.
And now I'm toast,
But it don't matter
'Cause I'm the most-
Pimpin'-Convict ever-to-share-a-chain
With a goat."
*Hormonica solo*
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: June 13, 2010, 03:08:44 pm »

Not even the Sheriff of Rottenham could bring em down in this case I suppose.
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: June 13, 2010, 06:04:34 pm »

~"I stole a roast.
And now I'm toast,
But it don't matter
'Cause I'm the most-
Pimpin'-Convict ever-to-share-a-chain
With a goat."
*Hormonica solo*
Do I have your permission to use this elsewhere? It's quite awesome. I'll credit you, if you so wish.

In my current fort, a miner went berserk because we had no spare body parts lying around. Fortuitously, an elven caravan was just leaving so he chased/slaughtered them instead, but not before killing at least four of my citizens. As he is rampaging through my fort, the closest thing to a warrior in the place and one of only 4 or 5 dwarves with a weapon, I see one of my stoneworkers asleep in his room. I decide to forbid the door so he doesn't awake and come out to have a meal and find his liver at the wrong end of a pickaxe. I could rest safe in the knowledge that if the berserker killed every other dwarf in the fort, one would survive.
Flash forward a month or two. I'm constructing a chimney to deal with the miasma from my refuse stockpile when up flashes a message saying some dude died of thirst. My farming business was booming and I was fairly certain booze stocks were adequate, but I ordered a few more barrels anyway to be on the safe side. I set up another coffin for burial and went back to my chimney building. After giving the graveyard another look and decided my fortress needed a statue garden. I gave the fortress a sweep for locations to put it and, to my dismay, found my stoneworker against the door of his room, dead from thirst. I un-forbade his door and a metalsmith promptly carried him to his coffin, which I am thinking of encircling with riches as a monument to my stupidity and a reminder that every dwarf must be taken care of.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: June 13, 2010, 11:41:40 pm »

Yeah, sure! That's not up to my usual par, but whatever. Go ahead. What are you going to use it for?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

style

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: June 14, 2010, 05:50:22 am »

Just found out that stone fall traps are not what they used to be in 40d. 11 boulders right on his head, a broken skull and several broken limbs, and this goblin swordsman is still killing my dworfs. When the rest of his ambush stops chasing cats and enters the fortress, I am doomed.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: June 14, 2010, 10:15:24 am »

Yeah, sure! That's not up to my usual par, but whatever. Go ahead. What are you going to use it for?
Various things. I'll definitely sig it on Deviantart.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 729