Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126589 times)

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2025 on: July 10, 2010, 11:11:39 pm »

"Pile of molten steel"

Yeah, and here I thought my mile-long repeating spikes of death was a great solution to the demon problem.

And flaming, hairy demon blobs in 31.09 are killable, but they're still melting my soldiers.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: July 10, 2010, 11:34:47 pm »

My dwarves just used adamantine strands for sutures.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: July 11, 2010, 01:33:55 am »

a common ailment indeed.

I suggest putting them all behind an airlock type system.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: July 11, 2010, 06:46:25 pm »

Anyone with adamantine sutures should have the toughness of adamantine on the sutured area.

My first facepalm moment was a very Fun fort in which I wanted some flat land and decided to do a little strip-mining, and no I don't mean the kind where you forget to build a clothier or a leatherworks for several years. Sure, I'll just mine out this Z-level here, what do you mean there's still a floor above it?

At least something got flattened!

That's exactly why I keep a Stonesense window open when I play these days. An effort to avoid playing 2-dimensionally. I still tend to put stuff "down the hall" rather than "directly beneath".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: July 11, 2010, 09:13:37 pm »

a common ailment indeed.

The blue metal, or the dorfs?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: July 11, 2010, 11:12:49 pm »

31.09 Embarked on a hevilly forested area, 7 dwarfs, no skills, no meat, no plants, brought lots of booze, and milk, training axe 1 pick and... snow and ice nearly everywhere, brook frozen solid, no shrubbery, no trees, hmm started digging into the mountain, going slow, built the obglitary beds and set up the starting workshops, everybody hungry, slaughtered the mule, did not have space to place a food stockpile, (vultures were waiting outside, so outside food stockpile would have just fed them) dwarves ate one meat each and the rest rotted.  ok! the brook defrosted set everyone to fishing, but they were all busy hunting vermin to eat, then I realized that I had 60 milk and had not built the farmer's workshop to change it into cheese *facepalm* one dwarf finally caught and ate a vermin then went fishing, and another caught a vermin, started making more bronze, removed him from the job, and anter repeating a wew times on the other jobs finally got him to start the building of the farmer's workshop. got the workshop built and first cheese made nobody starved to death, and, "Some migrants have arrived!". <groan>

Ok built some bronze picks and assigned some more dwarves to mine and dug out a tunnel to the brook, 3 spaces away from completion and the brook freezes. It's going to be a rather dry winter if I do not do something so I search the entire map and find some suguaro cati and a few scattered shrubbery at top and bottom left side of this 6x6 embark. I order up all the plants to be picked, despite the giant eagle flying about. Off go all the dwarves and shortly I have a few megre prickle berrys and blade weeds. set the seeds to be cooked and brew the berrys and make dye with the blade weed. Dwarven traders show up but I have not built the trade depot yet and with the scramble to gather plants and make booze no dwarf manages to find the time to build the trade depot, and the dwarven traders depart, taking their 60 plump helmut, and the many barrels of booze they had brought. 5 of my 17 dwarves manage to die of thirst as I make the first barrels of prickle berry wine and longland beer while the traders lounge about watching my dwarves drop dead of thirst.
  In the dead of winter more migrants arrive, now have 35 mouths to feed and booze. Got a hunter to finally activate, and She brings in a Giant Juguar. Then the elves show up the depot is open but one of my puppies that a migrant brought is killed my the elves as they make their way in. Thinking that all the elves were in I set the outer door to be kept tightly closed, and proceed to move what few trade goods I had available (some GCS clothing from the 5 deceased dwarves, 10 coke, and a few other cheap items) get the message that they are going to depart soon, notice no broker assigned yet, checked all the dwarves, yup no appraisers in the lot, ok picked one that can judge intent... and set it to anybody can trade, and went away.
Chexked it and *facepalm* had not requested a broker, set that and came back to it in a few min, and trade was lit up, cool, " We're sorry we have not quite finished setting up yet"!!!!!!!  ok it's the pet impassible doors... set the doors to let the pets in , and watch one last elf come through the front door and slowly make his way to the depot leading his M(ule) he gets there and  they are still unloading, !! wait 30 seconds and try again GOT in!  traded my 5 GCS cloathing 10 coke and 2 rock mechanisms for a dromadary camel Dam and some booze and about 60 plants, not too bad for using a random dwarf. 5 seconds after I leave the trading window, the elves pack up and depart! Phew that was SO close! Manage to survive the winter with the hunting, seeds and booze from the elves, no thanks to the dwarves.
  Perhaps this fortress will buy out the elven caravans and drown/imprison the dwarven ones.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: July 12, 2010, 12:51:55 pm »

a common ailment indeed.

The blue metal, or the dorfs?

The only reference we had was keeping them apart from one another, so it's six of one, half a dozen of the other, really...
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: July 13, 2010, 06:49:44 am »

Built a reservoir under the river that fed it.

Built a well under the reservoir that fed it.

Large amounts of pressure + accidentally leaving both floodgates of the reservoir open = much flooding!
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: July 14, 2010, 02:39:01 am »

i often miss one obscure tile on a hillside when i'm building my epic walls.

everyone dies.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: July 14, 2010, 04:34:17 am »

Digging an awesome project near and under constantly turning river, accidentally digging one tile that diagonally connects to river. Death :(

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: July 14, 2010, 08:13:17 am »

Facepalm moments: Every damn time that I forget to open the drawbridges BEFORE the traders arrive. I swear I'll build an open-plan trapped entrance eventually.

And EVERY DAMN TIME that I get the traders inside safely and then get distracted, and by the time I check the depot, see them, send the trader to the depot, and remember to check back again, the traders have already left.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: July 14, 2010, 09:21:17 am »

I just now found out that the mouse is interactive with DF. That's gonna save my keyboard so much wear and tear from designating...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

darkwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: July 14, 2010, 02:59:20 pm »

Ooh, do you know about mass designation then, MZero?  :D

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: July 14, 2010, 06:29:28 pm »

Er, no. I sense another facepalm moment coming on. I know that you can designate in blocks, but as far as specifying a vein to mine, I was doing it by hand until I found the utilities in DFHack.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: July 14, 2010, 06:39:40 pm »

That would be the mass dumping/melting/hiding/forbidding through the d->b menu.

I just carved out a record hall, and removed all the walls I intended to engrave. Hrmph.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 729