Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130696 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2490 on: September 05, 2010, 09:47:44 am »

Freaking mummies stopped me from completing the second story of walls in the caverns. Cue flying FB...

<later> It took all of my militia to kill the darn thing, and no corpse! Boo. All I have is this arm that got lopped off early.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: September 05, 2010, 04:29:58 pm »

So... yeah. Marble can apparently be aquifier. Blub. Blub.

mr_seeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: September 05, 2010, 10:28:47 pm »

Well, this is one of the biggest facepalms I had:

Made a pretty decent fortress, around 60-80 dwarves working around the clock. Found a nice cave, so went cavefishing. After a couple of weeks, a crocodile appears, kills 2 farmers, wounds a 3rd one pretty badly, and starts to enter my fortress. Lucky for me I have the nasty habit of putting cage traps in the entrances. Result: One angry caged crocodile.

Croco (as I named him) went on a nice trip in the cage to the resource room. Everything went well there, no problems at all.

Merchants appeared, and wanted to get rid of Croco. So, I put Croco on the trading list. 5 min later, Croco was loose and had begun a pure rampage inside my fortress. Because I didnt had a good military system in that fortress, everyone was killed on the spot.

Result: 10 killed by Croco, 7 berserk, 24 killed by dwarves, 45 heavely wounded and no doctor left...

When i embarked again to the same spot, i met an angry Croco again, killed another 7 of my dwarves, and then i though about finding another spot. Since then i always make sure captured animals stay in their cage.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: September 05, 2010, 11:03:47 pm »

I only recently started playing but I made a huge blunder, I minded a bit to prodigiously near a river, and then forgot about the shaft, several hours later I had the great idea to build a moat around my fortress.

All of my dwarfs dead but two, and all of my stock piles gone.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
"
« Reply #2494 on: September 05, 2010, 11:59:15 pm »

Merchants appeared, and wanted to get rid of Croco. So, I put Croco on the trading list. 5 min later, Croco was loose and had begun a pure rampage inside my fortress.

"Uh, boss?  This cage you wanted brought to the depot isn't empty.  What should I do about it?"

"Empty it out!  We can't sell a dirty cage you know!"

"Oh, ok.  Out you go, little fella--- ARGGGHHHH!!!"
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

mr_seeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: September 06, 2010, 10:29:27 am »

Another one, happening as I speak:

Got a siege by goblins. Stupid creatures tend to siege my fort (which is holding 50 angry axe dwarves) with 13 lashers. No attacks, just waiting for me to strike.

The only reason why they havent attacked yet is unknown, what I do know is that the fortress still has a caged goblin lying around.

EDIT: After waiting long enough, I decided to attack them with my full force. 26 dead dwarves later, they ran off...

Never trust the wiki when under siege...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:46:19 am by mr_seeker »

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: September 06, 2010, 03:09:00 pm »

Remembered that when throwing goblins into the arena, theres a chance they can get loose when taken out of the cage. This was after I had designated 15 goblins for dumping and the cancelled: interupted by goblin spam started

Checked said goblins and found out I had been less than thorough with dumping their weapons...

luckily the military was lazy and was upstairs for a snack, so they where close by. When there was one goblin left they decided they needed their buty sleep, all three of them, at the same time...

on the positive side the loose goblin is a thief and so just runs from my dwarfs, so almost no one gets hurt. It's fun seeing random dwarfs taking pot shots at the goblin while passing.

EDIT: of course, since they where interupted when getting some snack, they are now completely ignoring the knife wielding goblin running past them to get in favor of getting that food they wanted.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 03:23:42 pm by bremarv »
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Xerillum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: September 06, 2010, 03:11:09 pm »

I had a fortress next to a volcano going down 40 z-levels, so I decided that I should add another magma forge closer to my stockpiles.

I had a screw pump going that pulled magma to a z-level higher than the top of the fortress for the purposes of goblin killing, but I didn't ever use it anymore, so I thought that I would dig a shaft to where I wanted the new forge, and connect it to the pump.

Everything went well until I channeled a hole to put the forge over. The magma, being pressurized by the screw pump, flooded the entire fortress, killing all but one of the dwarves.

Urist McFarmer, the survivor, was planting a new farm, and some of the leftover water from irrigating turned into obsidian, sealing him into the room.

Now it's winter, I have 39 levels completely flooded with magma and one stockpile level at the very bottom of the fortress that had magma-safe doors on it, filled with food and booze. My farmer probably has enough food and water to last until migrants hopefully show up.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: September 06, 2010, 03:20:43 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:19:18 pm by Bronimin »

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: September 07, 2010, 05:37:52 am »

I had a fortress next to a volcano going down 40 z-levels, so I decided that I should add another magma forge closer to my stockpiles.

I had a screw pump going that pulled magma to a z-level higher than the top of the fortress for the purposes of goblin killing, but I didn't ever use it anymore, so I thought that I would dig a shaft to where I wanted the new forge, and connect it to the pump.

Everything went well until I channeled a hole to put the forge over. The magma, being pressurized by the screw pump, flooded the entire fortress, killing all but one of the dwarves.

Urist McFarmer, the survivor, was planting a new farm, and some of the leftover water from irrigating turned into obsidian, sealing him into the room.

Now it's winter, I have 39 levels completely flooded with magma and one stockpile level at the very bottom of the fortress that had magma-safe doors on it, filled with food and booze. My farmer probably has enough food and water to last until migrants hopefully show up.
That sure sounds awesome.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: September 07, 2010, 05:55:05 am »

Reply 2501. Tried to drag thieves down stairs to my pit, they ofcourse ran off.

redrick_schu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: September 07, 2010, 09:46:36 am »

Embark on a Terrifying glacier with no military dwarves(I was asking for it I think). Blizzard Man shows up, I send a random dwarf off with an axe to take care of it. 45 seconds into this fortress the Blizzard Man takes the axe from the dwarf, decapitates him, and proceeds to annihilate the rest of the fortress. Rude.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: September 07, 2010, 07:17:17 pm »

Made a super awesome death pit (baddies dropped onto a retractable bridge over a 10z-level pit) complete with ramp down to loot the corpses (and help my miners get out). My test run goes swimmingly, with a goblin plummeting to a horrific bone-snapping death. So I begin the fullscale run. 8 goblins and an elf. 4 gobbos and the elf are killed instantly, but some of the goblins' comerades cushioned their fall. I didn't strip them of their weapons or armour (didn't know I could at the time) and didn't bother to put a locked door at the ramp-entrance. My well-armoured military (full sets of steel armour and steel shields) couldn't hurt the gobbos effectively, as I had yet to make steel bolts for their crossbows (wooden still, and wooden crossbows). The gobbos, with shattered legs and arms proceeded to kill several wardogs and a greedy-ass jeweler that was going to steal the pants or something off of one of the dead gobbos. They took over half an hour to kill--my dozen or so dwarves bludgeoned them into unconsciousness and then gangbeat them for an inordinate amount of time. The unconscious, wounded goblins proceeded to cause so much chaos that nothing could be done until they were killed.

Lesson learned. The pit is now 15 z-levels deep with spikes at the bottom and locked off; I have 20 dudes with full steel armour AND steel crossbow bolts; there are cage traps around the prisoner area to help re-catch escapees; and I am sure to strip the prisoners of their belongings before releasing them xD

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: September 08, 2010, 03:46:50 am »

Incidentally, just like the above poster, I too made a pit-trap 10 levels deep, combined with a watertrap. Enemies step into the corridor, floodgates open, water flushes them down the pit.

Like him, I also noticed 10 levels weren't enough, but those that didn't die of the drop soon drowned so it was all good.

A minor facepalm occurred later on though, as war animals from a siege were hanging onto the ground, where the siegers got whisked over the edge. So, I kept the gates open. The whole of the trap would work as a drowning trap even on the waterfall level.

Time passes, finally enough water is in to drown the enemies. Much celebration, lever is pulled to release all that water.

Cue hilarity/facepalm when I realize that yes, that is a big trap and yes, that is a LOT of water I have there and it has a lot of pressure.

Of course, the building with the bridge there leads to my magma workshops. Would have been unfortunate if i hadn't noticed the effect of the flood-release in time.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2504 on: September 08, 2010, 05:14:43 am »

Wow, does everyone try (and then fail) at the 10z kill tower trap?  Yeah, I was dropping them onto my quantum stone stockpile for a while, with predictable results once I got some goblins tough enough to survive.

Since then, I've given up and I drop them just 1z, into a room full of green glass spikes made by my handy magma glass furnace that's sealed by both a door and a floodgate (not sure that it matters, but it makes it obvious when the room is *locked*).
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 729