Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guesstimate on 31.26?  (Read 4035 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Guesstimate on 31.26?
« on: May 08, 2011, 08:48:41 pm »

A weird bug remived adventurer mode and migrants' names from new worlds, and so I only have one "normal" fortress. I'm making it huge, but I would appreciate it if I had a guess on when DF 31.26 comes out.

Is there, by some chance, a sort of pattern to how long between updates, or is it random to all but Toady One and (maybe) Threetoe?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guesstimate on 31.26?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:56:06 pm »

31.25 was the last bugfix version, and if you've been following the development long it ought be obvious that they've moved on to adding features. While bug-fixes are sometimes included in feature release versions, expect major bugfixes to continue after the feature release.
!!&!!

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 10:31:25 pm »

31.26 will probably never exist. I'd imagine this next development cycle will bump us up to 32 or 33, maybe higher. And like Ampersand said, the next release will, more than likely, introduce bugs instead of fixing them. As for a release date? No one, including Toady himself, really knows. If I had to guess, I'd imagine before July 16, just so he has something out for the meetup, but I have no idea.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:41:09 pm »

It sounds like it's coming along pretty quickly, although I'm not certain how much will be included in this release.  The more, the longer it will take. However, as others have said and as previously mentioned a couple of months ago in the Dev Log the version number needs to be updated from 0.31 to reflect the substantial new elements added. 

Nonetheless, there seems to be potential for some amusing new bugs that'll have to be squashed...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:57:09 pm »

I would optimistically put it in at a month or so.. Toady seems to be going along at a steady pace, and once he finishes the undead I feel sure he'll release it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 11:35:02 pm »

I would optimistically put it in at a month or so.. Toady seems to be going along at a steady pace, and once he finishes the undead I feel sure he'll release it.
Nope. He still has to integrate workshops, markets, and shops into the cities. And he'll likely want to take a moment to add adventure potential relating to new additions as well.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 11:41:06 pm »

Basically, it'll be done around the time that you give up and just settle on building a new fort, and invest just enough time into it that you don't really want to switch versions quite yet.

So hurry up and get that fortress going, or Toady's never going to release a new version!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 02:46:34 am »

New feature release will probably be in a month or two. Then add on another month or two of bugfixing, and you'll get the next stable version.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 03:03:50 am »

I think one or two weeks is enough for Toady to fix the new bugs introduced with the new features, so the chances are you can get a version as stable as 31.25 by then. After this Toady will fix the old bugs though, and this may take a month.

And about this feature release, not even Toady knows. He often gets sidetracked with features thar weren't planned for a specific release as even he admits.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 06:32:54 am »

31.25 was the last bugfix version, and if you've been following the development long it ought be obvious that they've moved on to adding features. While bug-fixes are sometimes included in feature release versions, expect major bugfixes to continue after the feature release.
I know. It seems like unless there are some major bugs he hasn't mentioned, Toady's newest DF has enough stuff in it to make it extremely interesting. New city design, catacombs, sewers, and revamped undead--what more could you want?
Other than a way to dispose of goblin corpses.

Basically, it'll be done around the time that you give up and just settle on building a new fort, and invest just enough time into it that you don't really want to switch versions quite yet.

So hurry up and get that fortress going, or Toady's never going to release a new version!
Chak. I've even posted a few saves of it on DFFD.
Sad thing is...it's kobolds. I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.
I'll deal with it, though. Maybe break out one of my 31.18 forts.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 10:04:24 am »

I'm going to keep playing this one until the release...up to 24 years now.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.