Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126706 times)

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2940 on: October 31, 2010, 01:47:41 pm »

It's been 7 years and I've still got no magma. :D
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: October 31, 2010, 03:52:12 pm »

It's been 7 years and I've still got no magma. :D

Just dig straight down. 100 z-levels after, you have magma all set up for the forges and smelters and furnaces. Just make sure to build the impassable tiles over access halls, there're some very !!Fun!! creatures down there.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: October 31, 2010, 08:47:31 pm »

I just crushed one of my starter dwarves into a drawbridge, he was a mechanic and legendary miner.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2943 on: October 31, 2010, 11:27:12 pm »

I had my weapon smith decide to wander out of the fortress to grab, I dunno, a sock or something lying outside.  He met a kobold who was slinking around right outside the entrance.  It hit him once, hurting his finger, then ran off, chased by some war dogs.

The weapon smith starts fainting from the dire pain, but hobbles back to the fortress.  No big deal, right?

The idiot faints on a weapon trap and is shredded to bits by the serrated discs he made for us.

Hopefully that will teach the rest of them not to be such babies over a cut finger.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: November 01, 2010, 03:47:36 am »

I set a dumb site on one of my magma smelters thinking "Hey, this sure will safe me sometime!"

After around 10 minutes I checked and all the stone was gone, it took me another 5 minutes to find them all siting in a pool of lava, melted into nothingness D:
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: November 01, 2010, 07:05:38 pm »

so, anyone who passes out over a trap gets shredded... *Facepalm*
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: November 01, 2010, 09:43:25 pm »

No joke, I was reading this very thread, then went back to check how my dwarves were doing. The game had paused to warn me about goblin snatchers. I couldn't for the life of me find them, until I checked the units menu. They'd both walked right into the cage traps I'd put there for camels.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: November 01, 2010, 10:11:15 pm »

All my barrels are full of food and plants and meat and other bullcrap that isn't booze. So I start making more barrels right? not with Urist McStrangeMood hogging the carpenter's workshop. So I build a second one... but McStrangeMood is my only carpenter. I have to provide booze for 44 dwarves with barrels being made one by one by a complete ameteur. Okay, as soon as Urist McStrangeMood finishes his little trinket, he'll be a legendary carpenter. We'll only have a little bit of booze for a little while, but then we're gonna be swimming in it. Oh look, the first barrel is done! And a helpful dwarf has already picked it up and taken it to the still... and past the still... and to the food stockpile...

*Headdesk*

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: November 02, 2010, 12:03:17 am »

Pop IQ Quiz:
You have been tasked with removing a hatch cover, situated directly over a 10 z-level drop. Where do you stand to complete this task?

A- To the left of the hatch cover
B- To the right of the hatch cover
C- Directly on top of the hatch cover
D- Directly on top of the hatch cover with two of your buddies there to keep you company while you work

If you answered D, congratulations! You are a dwarf!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: November 02, 2010, 03:27:32 am »

so, anyone who passes out over a trap gets shredded... *Facepalm*
Or trapped.
"You have caught: Bone Doctor! Would you like to give Bone Doctor a nickname?"
"Yes, Dr. Pussy McCrackedSkull."
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: November 02, 2010, 05:26:09 am »

Okay, I really don't know what just happened. Here is the story of my butcher-dwarfs of Rareabbeys:

I recently hit the 100-dwarf mark, which is a first for me, and because my outside is so well-defended I've been getting a little bored with this fort. With a Goblinite-armed military of thirty strong (or weak, because they take so f**king long to train now,) So I decided to try my luck at colonizing the demonic fortress located in the third cavern on my map. Using DFreveal revealed page upon page of rotting and skeletal undead of almost every cavernous race imaginable. Snakemen, amphibian men, ant men, etc... for no less than ten pages when I first checked. But I had seen miasma constantly and the rotten carcasses of the ant people in the fort, so I assumed that the zombies were just rotting and dying over time. Also, I had read stories of un-trained dwarves easily punching the heads off of the rotting zombies' necks in the past, so I was fully confident my army, trained on captured prisoners, would be able to handle them. My biggest worry was that the miasma would give my dwarven soldiers some unhappy thoughts, but keep in mind that these are all happy, happy dwarves; Rareabbeys is the bees-knees, the place to be for dwarf, elephant, and war-hound alike! There was no way they would ever do something like revolt in the middle of a siege on their slade-clad target. I prepared my fortress for battle by placing two [2] successive weapon traps, each fully loaded with giant iron axe blades, in a one-wide corridor....

This is where things became...strange...

Being the idiot commander that I am [queue facepalm moment,] I had neglected to order all of my civilians inside the fortress (my burrow, that is, which is as large as the expanse of my entire fortress,) but I had not expected it would be such an important order to give. Because of this lack of specification, for whatever reason, although presumably to dress the rotting flesh of the zombies, my chief medical dwarf decides to trek into the fortress. Alone. With no animals. [I had caged all of my war animals, as they were causing a slowed frame rate and were unnecessary at the time.]

I snap into action. Although it had caught me by surprise, I viewed this as an excuse to finally put my military to good use. They charge the fortress through narrow corridors, in a hope to save their chief doctor, of which the survival of was an absolute necessity to the function of the fortress. This was now not a siege for the glory of Armok, but a high-priority rescue mission.

They arrive at the fortress, with the commander and captains at the fore-front of the army, and the whole force charges in, slaughtering the first floor of snake and amphibian men with unparalleled ease. They choke and gag on the miasma, but the doctor is located and flees back to the fortress with no more than a few bites and handful of bruises. More zombies erupt from beneath the floors. There is no turning back now...

Axes are swung and daggers lashed but the dwaves prevail to the second floor, a small, one-wide labyrinth of undead. The commander and captains go on, but this is when I notice something strange: multiple dwarven soldiers are carrying barrels of dwarven ale into the labyrinth. "...Why?" I thought. "Well... perhaps they expect a long siege, and so they thought ahead for the fortnights they shall spend in here. Good initiative, dwarves!" But then I noticed some other things:

First: A random blacksmith had made his way into the labyrinth and died. A shame.

Second: Only the commander and captains had advanced to the second part of the labyrinth. The others were not following.

Third: The ground around the other soldiers is spattered with dwarf blood.

Fourth: The dwarves are all killing each other.

...What? They're not unhappy dwarves, not even the injured lot! No dwarves are throwing tantrums...why are they killing each other!? Slowly my military is crumbling to the savagery of its own components, and my commander and captains will fall to the next floor of the undead...

I believe it has something to do with my mass-designating the entire labyrinth as kill orders, but of this I am unsure. Perhaps the narrowness of the corridors caused one dwarf to collide in combat with another? Or perhaps the miasma obscured their vision until one dwarf attacked another, causing the victim to erupt into rage? Perhaps the evil spirits of the demonic fortress incited the dwarves to brutality? The mystery prevails. Thus ends the story of the butcher dwarves of Rareabbeys

[Seriously, idk what the f**k happened, but they were all killing each other and killing snakes and there were dwarf parts all over the floor oh god. I had to force-close the program once a goblin siege showed up on top. I probably could've handled them with my traps, but I had lost so much it was game-killingly bad. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?]

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: November 02, 2010, 06:57:58 am »

It can't have been you commanding them to do it, well, as far as I know you can't command soldiers to kill other citizens. I could go on about crazy demon-mind-control-magics, but I'm a newb and have no idea what I'm on about. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: November 02, 2010, 03:40:33 pm »

Sounds like a on-the-spot loyalty cascade to me.
For example, soldier 1 'accidently' knocks soldier 2 with his axe and becomes an enemy to the fort but not the civ. Sodlier 1 dies horribly from AxeDwarf gang-rape. Anyone who assisted in his death becomes a enemy of the civ but not the fort. They do battle with all the other soldiers around them and spread the Fun around.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: November 02, 2010, 04:45:14 pm »

Butcher Dwarves of Rareabbeys

Years later dwarves would tell the tale over and over, stressing the importance of humility and the dangers of hubris.  The dwarves of Rareabbeys thought they could defeat that which lurks below, but instead turned on each other in the moment of their victory.  Such is the fate of any who would dig too deep.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: November 02, 2010, 07:24:17 pm »

Butcher Dwarves of Rareabbeys

Years later dwarves would tell the tale over and over, stressing the importance of humility and the dangers of hubris.  The dwarves of Rareabbeys thought they could defeat that which lurks below, but instead turned on each other in the moment of their victory.  Such is the fate of any who would dig too deep.

He probably got some cool engravings out of it, though.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 729