Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126697 times)

Hinasas

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Playing roguelikes while watching animes....
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3030 on: November 11, 2010, 09:50:59 am »

I am hereby humbly joining the chorus of FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--

sigged!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:54:58 am by Hinasas »
I am hereby humbly joining the chorus of FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: November 11, 2010, 09:56:47 am »

It's handy for large migrant waves, but it isn't THAT important.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Milk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: November 11, 2010, 10:07:42 am »

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: November 11, 2010, 10:19:07 am »

I just avoided a major facepalm by a hair's breadth.

Following my little act of Euthanasia, Giant Cave Spider style, I had to get the thing out of there without it causing harm to any of my healthy, non-paralyzed dwarves. Obviously the answer was constructing cage traps before removing the wall trapping it.

Tearing down the wall was most likely mere seconds from completion when I realized the traps weren't loaded with cages yet. I managed to remove the designation just in time, which is good, because that Spider has been trapped in a 3x3 room constantly filling up with Miasma, and he is probably pretty pissed at generally everybody at the moment.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: November 11, 2010, 11:25:53 am »

I'm processing adamantine for the very first time. I've finally learned what strand extraction is for. So I get a bunch of raw adamantine to my quantum stockpile, give my glassmaker the strand extraction task because my mayor, whom requested a crystal glass window in an entirely subterranian dining room can go screw himself, and watched as it all started happening...

Theeeeeeen my broker gets a fey mood.

Okay, he wasn't always a broker, I'm sure he has other skills that-

Yup, he claimed the Craftsdwarf's shop.

Why couldn't it happen to a more expendable dwarf? Why not one of the idiot migrants who've only ever accomplioshed anything as haulers? somebody I can punish for their brazen stupidity without having to appoint a new broker? Somebody I could introduce to my new, named Euthinasia Spider?

Update: Aaaaaaaaand he's using my raw adamantine. Okay, that's strike two. If I get a freaking earring out of this, I'm just appointing a new broker, and Savotzakgol will be eating well tonight.

Update #2: A bracelet. His ass is grass.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:32:18 am by Samuel »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: November 11, 2010, 11:51:03 am »

Hate to break it to you, but you probably could have simply forbidden the raw addy.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: November 11, 2010, 11:55:01 am »

be that as it may, I'm having a lot more fun with this than I'm implying.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: November 11, 2010, 03:25:56 pm »

Is this dwarf child's name Helm Hammerhand by any chance?
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: November 11, 2010, 03:45:55 pm »

Facepalm - not on account of my own actions or even the dwarves'. This time, it's for the humans.

They just sent a seige because their idiot guild representative decided to sit on a !!seed barrel!! during trade negotiations. Exactly how that barrel managed to get set on fire, the world may never know...
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: November 12, 2010, 05:25:16 pm »

So I had my first encounter with a forgotten beast today, a "body" and "tail" affair made of snow.

Those of you used to this probably already know where this is going. Anyway, I'd built an express route down to the magma sea so I could, y'know, use magma gear.

Anyway, this forgotten beast comes streaking out the cavern at a faster speed than I've ever seen /anything/ move, shoots up my express route and carves through six dwarves like ball lightning, while my military are still trading out their weapons.

They finally get ready to come and face it. . .and the monster evaporated.

So I got no reward, except a culling of peons, but now half my fortress is feeling upset because my founding miner (legendary for happening to spot adamantine) was killed in the attack.

Edit: On further examination, it would appear that it was in fact evaporated by being kicked by a horse.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 05:33:56 pm by Tinker Thinker »
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: November 12, 2010, 07:17:44 pm »

When a large portion of the fort's population died of thirst during winter because I had forgotten to brew beer while I still had brewable items. The river was frozen, the moat was frozen, even the flood chamber storage was frozen and all my beer was gone! This was after a spring fores fire and during a tantrum spiral. Just before the downfall of the fortress.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: November 13, 2010, 01:30:24 am »

In a final update to the above, he and everybody in that fortress is now dead. The circus was in town.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: November 13, 2010, 09:47:14 am »

To tell the truth, I'm starting to enjoy this fortress. Why? Because I have opened up routes to at least three underground cavern systems and exactly none of them have any security whatsoever. It's quite a challenge.

The Snow Beast was the first time it came back to bite me, the second time was a Cave Crocodile, which has so far been the only one to actually injure a soldier, who is currently laid up in the hospital with a massive jagged scar on their left upper thigh, and is already fast on the road to recovery. Mainly, I forgot to make metal pants for my soldiers to wear.

Actually, the crocodile was !!!Fun!!! because none of my soldiers decided to go and get their real weapons on the way to fighting it, so it took forever to beat it to death, and of course the croc went up the only route to my well, so that my thirsty injured soldier could not receive water. The croc suffocated on its own injuries shortly after my soldiers finally decided to abandon their task (I'd told them to stop in the hopes they'd go arm themselves properly).
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: November 13, 2010, 07:07:24 pm »

Where can I find this graphics set?

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: November 13, 2010, 08:00:27 pm »

Where can I find this graphics set?

I think that's just with TrueType turned on.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 729