Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130607 times)

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3060 on: November 14, 2010, 04:46:58 pm »

Better yet, do they gain skill as a child? At least basic stats? If so, Spartans anyone? Give him simple fights in a arena setup and level the sucker up. You could pick out a handful that show promise and train them together as an elite squad.

And if treading water still builds strength, then you could include that too.

I might have to try this...  :)
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: November 14, 2010, 05:22:29 pm »

I've just seen a ninja dwarven liaison dodge several bolts, cross in front of a dumbfounded goblin squad that somehow ignored him as he moved through the dense forest a few tiles from them, run away from the only axeman that chased him and plunge literally through a squad of goblin spearmen to reach the border receiving only one hit. :o
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 05:42:30 pm by Wastedlabor »
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: November 14, 2010, 05:31:14 pm »

I've just seen a ninja dwarven liaison dodge several bolts, cross in front of a dumbfounded goblin squad that somehow ignored him as he moved through the dense forest a few tiles from them, run away from the only axeman that chased him and plunge literally through a squad of goblin spearmen to reach the border without receiving one hit. :o

One of mine met a brown bear on top of the outdoor housing and ripped it to bits. Blood everywhere.  :o
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: November 14, 2010, 05:52:48 pm »

I've just seen a ninja dwarven liaison dodge several bolts, cross in front of a dumbfounded goblin squad that somehow ignored him as he moved through the dense forest a few tiles from them, run away from the only axeman that chased him and plunge literally through a squad of goblin spearmen to reach the border receiving only one hit. :o
How exactly does this make you facepalm?
This is awesome.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: November 14, 2010, 06:13:22 pm »

This is awesome.

Seconded. Could make you facepalm on the goblins' part, but why would you do that?
Liaisons can be pretty awesome at times.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: November 14, 2010, 07:42:21 pm »

This is awesome.

Seconded. Could make you facepalm on the goblins' part, but why would you do that?
Liaisons can be pretty awesome at times.

I think I've got it. He didn't say where the liason was hit, or with what.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3066 on: November 15, 2010, 05:13:22 am »

Yesterday:

First fort ever to reach 200 dwarves (usually having popa cap of 100). Legendary dining room, masterpiece meals, etc ...

Panda twisted to humanoid form came. Beware its poisonous vapors!

Whole military was sent to dispatch this beast. 8 squards of 10 dwarves. They swarmed it and slaughtered it easily.

But within few months, participants of battle started to suffocate. Pet cats, Pet dogs too. Cue in unstoppable tantrum spiral.

Apparently, Killing fogotten beast is just NOT enough to "solve fb problem". /facepalm.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: November 15, 2010, 06:18:20 am »

Yesterday:

First fort ever to reach 200 dwarves (usually having popa cap of 100). Legendary dining room, masterpiece meals, etc ...

Panda twisted to humanoid form came. Beware its poisonous vapors!

Whole military was sent to dispatch this beast. 8 squards of 10 dwarves. They swarmed it and slaughtered it easily.

But within few months, participants of battle started to suffocate. Pet cats, Pet dogs too. Cue in unstoppable tantrum spiral.

Apparently, Killing fogotten beast is just NOT enough to "solve fb problem". /facepalm.

You got a syndrome.  It starts in the initial infected then moves to smaller creatures like pet dogs and cats before moving to further dwarves.  If not for the tantrum spiral it's likely your whole fortress would have died due to the FB's vapors and resultant syndrome.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: November 15, 2010, 08:43:53 am »

I just had a similar event with a pair of 'beware its poisonous gas' fb's.

The first was a shrimp that I handled with marksdwarves, it gassed a few through the fortifications and I thought nothing of it.

Two of that squad turned up in the hospital a few months later and proceeded to burst into huge miasma clouds, no-one liked em much and this plague died out without too many tears.

The second was a chamelion that butchered a few melee types and goo'd all over everything, half my fort showed up to fetch the dead dwarves and waded through lakes of crap, it spread ridiculously around the fort while i installed decontamination showers at major intersections, contamination levels were too great so i ordered all dwarves out into the rain with a burrow while i diverted the river through my fort into the caverns to flush the place out, the sick were left to drown in the hospital.

Cue seige....

Thats all she wrote
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:46:01 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: November 15, 2010, 02:37:45 pm »

"Aquifer" is actually another word for "huge drowning trap that spans an entire Z-Level".

Right now I'm being haunted by three miners who either drowned or died from cave-ins.
On the plus side, I get to see ghosties.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: November 15, 2010, 03:30:13 pm »

So I decided to try out the adventure mode in my brand new .17 install (it's just some file merges, no big deal).

I get sent to kill Random Goblin McDouchenugget, and his merry band of iron-ore-in-waiting. I brought a random wrestler with me. I'm a human mauler. We get ambushed by our target, so we charge down the hillside to him and his swordsman buddy. I get them mixed up, because I forget about the shiny, and I beat the swordsman to death, and I notice the wrestler is battling the main guy who has fallen into a pit. I decided to see if I can take him out. My adventurer decides to do simultaneously the most awesome and moronic thing ever, she does a flying leap into the pit and bashes his head into a pulp on impact. But now she's trapped in the pit. No big deal, right? Wrong, there's one goblin in reserve, who comes up with a crossbow, shoots the wrassler to death, and then stands a few paces from the pit and expends his quiver in an attempt to kill me. He succeeds in tearing my ear. Instead of doing what I was expect, which is then charge me with his crossbow, he just stands there and does nothing. I can't sleep, can't travel, he's not drowsy and I am. . . I give in to starvation.
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: November 15, 2010, 03:38:14 pm »

I just figured out my new awesome .17 fortress is placed is such a steep cliff that the wagons will not be able to reach my depot. I just have to build a ramp from the ground up to the fortress entrance, but when I found it was already time for the first caravan to arrive, and I'm going to lose it.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: November 15, 2010, 04:09:42 pm »

Ah!

Tried the tactic of sending a team of seven miners to dig out a shell of a fortress, until starving to death, then sending in a reclaim team afterwards.  This used to work quite well.

Now, there are ghosts everywhere!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: November 15, 2010, 05:44:20 pm »

Ghosts! Interesting.
Can't wait for 31.18. Unfortunately, I can't use .17 because weapon traps crash the game :/
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: November 15, 2010, 09:10:15 pm »

Finally got around to removing all the EXOTIC tags from the critter raws and taming all the weird wild things I'd caught, to make handling and butchering them easier.

Then I got a Stray Giant Cave Spider (Tame) and now I have nothing hostile/wild to feed it for a silk farm.

*facepalm*
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 729