Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126469 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #3315 on: December 14, 2010, 07:57:12 am »

A Forgotten Beast, an eyeless serpent with a shell and venomous blood, instead of going right for the fortress, stalks its victims deeper in the caverns before biting their limbs off. It kills 4 dwarfs, among which a talented surgeon and a baby. All my military is after it, even though I know venomous blood = FunŽ.
It climbs up some carved stairs and decides to attack a planter. It rips his left hand off, then the guy decides to counter-attack and punch it.
Bikda Usaneslul, monster from oblivion, slithering stalker, hater of all that is good, short and hairy, dodges, falls 4 z-levels down, and cracks its skull open.
... well, the fort was overpopulated anyway.
*off to rewards the dwarf in some way while facepalmiiiing*

EDIT: THERE ARE MORE MIGRANTS COMING
WTF GUYS WHAT DID I JUST SAY
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:14:50 am by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: December 14, 2010, 08:12:50 am »

I just got my first mayor in this fort. They instantly mandate a ban on exported goods "Well that can't be too bad I hope. Ahhh, it's adamantine, so I'm safe. I doubt I will ever mine it, let alone trade it"

I carry on smiling at my near miss of having to make adamantine items for a few more seconds untill it hits me. They like adamantine.

Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: December 14, 2010, 08:18:16 am »

I never found that to be a big deal. You don't really export it much anyway, and it's trivial to keep a few wafers around for madates once you get the stuff.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: December 14, 2010, 08:24:16 am »

Well I'm not a very experience player, and this fort isn't very old. I'm only just getting a military.

I don't have a captain of the guard though, so the only person who will get hurt is the mayor. That is IF he wants any...
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3319 on: December 14, 2010, 08:36:52 am »

Well I'm not a very experience player, and this fort isn't very old. I'm only just getting a military.

I don't have a captain of the guard though, so the only person who will get hurt is the mayor. That is IF he wants any...

Consider fact that creating strands and then waffers should fullfill mandate (same way as creating steel bar fullfills mandate for steel item).

So, for earch raw mined rock, you should get at least three mandate fullfills (strand, waffer, item). That is not too bad.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: December 14, 2010, 09:05:31 am »

Ohhh, I had no idea... well when the time comes, I'll do that. Thank you!

I also "learned" yesterday that elves no longer react to chopping down lots of trees. I was now told today they do. I've already chopped down an entire forest, and I'm thorougly confused.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3321 on: December 14, 2010, 09:09:02 am »

I also "learned" yesterday that elves no longer react to chopping down lots of trees. I was now told today they do. I've already chopped down an entire forest, and I'm thorougly confused.
The elves don't like it if you cut down trees, but in the current unmodded version there is no diplomat position in the elven civilization.  Without a diplomat position defined in the entity raws they can't send someone by to ask you to agree to not cut down trees.  If they can't get you to agree to not cut down trees, they can't declare war on you for breaking your agreement.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: December 14, 2010, 09:12:33 am »

The elves don't like it if you cut down trees, but in the current unmodded version there is no diplomat position in the elven civilization.  Without a diplomat position defined in the entity raws they can't send someone by to ask you to agree to not cut down trees.  If they can't get you to agree to not cut down trees, they can't declare war on you for breaking your agreement.

Cheers. I was told that but now that's more evidence to support it. Anyway, on topic!

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #3323 on: December 14, 2010, 10:35:06 am »

I've created a good fortress... magma(volcano = easy life), happy dwarves, a crossbow artifact...
then i switched to ASCII graphics(was using Phoebus pack), don't liked it, and closed the game for switching back, and clicked the F***ING ABANDON FORTRESS!!!

EPIC FACEPALM

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: December 14, 2010, 10:56:41 am »

My Legendary Ambusher/Archer/Marksdorf had a wife and three kids.
I always worried about him when he went on hunts (i'm playing on an evil biome), so I assigned 7 war dogs to him, in case he got abushed.

Meanwhile, I had a danger room of single wooden spears (masterfully crafted) with some peasantry having fun on there raking up their skills.
The danger room was based not only on pressure plates on the outside, but also with a lever inside the room itself, with the "Pull the lever" on the Repeat mode.

My UristMcLegendaryArcher went there to pull the lever while I was checking my magma forges 100 floors below, and when I went to the danger room again, there were several war dogs corpses lying around. Apparently, wooden spears are extremely dangerous to pets, so UristMcLegendaryArcher is now known as UristMcMiserableLost7PetsToTragedy or, as he is known by other dorfs in the fort UristMcTantrummer...

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: December 14, 2010, 12:08:19 pm »

I just released a bronze colossus from it's cage with only wrestlers in my military...

Edit:

Double facepalm! Colossus is now residing in the dining room trapping 40 out of 100 of my dwarves there. Only a couple of military deaths so far, but they are getting dehydrated and hungry. Unhappiness is beginning to settle now.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:19:29 pm by Aner-Dyfan »

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #3326 on: December 14, 2010, 02:50:06 pm »

this isn't exaclty a facepalm, more a "OMGWTF" moment...

Reclaimed the fortress i abandoned two posts ago, all OK... about an hour after the first migrant wave I looked to the unit list and saw:

Urist McLeatherworker: Deceased

how the hell he died, it's a mystery.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:56:09 pm by Iados »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: December 14, 2010, 03:14:53 pm »

Started my computer, opened DF, hit ">" and cried out in the pain my recently bowled-out and currently swollen finger applied to me.
I can't use my hand at all without feeling extreme pain.

Facepalm... OUCH... Facepalm x2 Combo!

Harbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: December 15, 2010, 12:07:52 am »

Reclaimed the fortress i abandoned two posts ago, all OK... about an hour after the first migrant wave I looked to the unit list and saw:

Had that happen to a dorf that went insane when he didn't get amy silk for a mood. After a while, I got the message "Urist McMoody has died in the heat".

near as I can tell, he ran out the open front door and swan dived into the magma pipe.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: December 15, 2010, 01:34:10 am »

Possible that he died at the start of the embark by standing on a frozen lake as it thawed?
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 729