Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130784 times)

Temp_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4680 on: July 01, 2011, 08:57:28 pm »

Finished my puppy/kitty dispensing pit.  It wasn't deep enough.  I now have piles of cute animals crawling about on their bellies and retching everywhere.  I genuinely feel like a terrible person.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: July 01, 2011, 10:08:25 pm »

Firebreathing worm forgotten beast. I missed the part that said it had wings, and it flew over my walls and set everything on fire.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Laughing Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: July 02, 2011, 11:01:10 am »

Firebreathing worm forgotten beast. I missed the part that said it had wings, and it flew over my walls and set everything on fire.
Trogdoooooooor!

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: July 02, 2011, 03:44:22 pm »

Locking Urist McMoody in his room, only to discover a few months later "Urist McChild cancels sleep, interrupted by dwarf." shortly after Urist McMoody went breserk.  It turns out that I had accidently mined out a wall to the next bedroom.  I lost 3 dwarves before my military showed up. 

FUN.

After reading the first sentence, I halfway expected you had accidentally locked him in a room with a sleeping child.
Borderline nightmare fuel there.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: July 03, 2011, 01:49:53 am »

Note: Use / and * to navigate menu by pages at a time. *facepalm*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TapeNoot

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE: AMPHIBIAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: July 03, 2011, 02:53:59 pm »

Reading through this thread and discovering stone pots can be used to hold booze *thwap*

On the upside, my suicidal rushes for logs on my current fort can stop :P
BY ARMOK'S FLAMING TESTICLES, JUST WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?

A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol fuelled beard with the IQ of a parsnip, and that's insulting to the parsnips.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: July 03, 2011, 06:56:19 pm »

Oddly enough, I have got fortress mode to run. All of my dwarfs are towering feathered bristleworms with wings. They have barrels made of turkey tallow and chests made out of human hair.

Also, the wagon appears to have been hauled by turkeys.

Yup, duplicate raws. The gift that keeps on giving (you insane amounts of insanity)!

It's like HP Lovecraft took some particularly good (or bad) drugs...
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: July 03, 2011, 09:32:53 pm »

This one time a Forgotten Beast made of Flames got to the stockpile where I keep my alcohol. I have over 10,000 drinks in storage. My game crashed! The face palm came when I found out that Forgotten Beasts made of fire were actually pretty easy to kill and I could have just sent my military after it instead of fumbling with my unreliable cave-in trap.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4688 on: July 04, 2011, 04:27:21 am »

This one time a Forgotten Beast made of Flames got to the stockpile where I keep my alcohol. I have over 10,000 drinks in storage. My game crashed! The face palm came when I found out that Forgotten Beasts made of fire were actually pretty easy to kill and I could have just sent my military after it instead of fumbling with my unreliable cave-in trap.
Booze is more precious than dwarves. Always save the booze first.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Rurik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: July 04, 2011, 12:18:15 pm »

Booze is more precious than dwarves. Always save the booze first.
I have had it in my mind to build a nasty trap in front - or below - of my fortress entrance: a large hall containing a forbidden stockpile of alcohol connected to a magma chute that is sealed by a floodgate. I guess you already picture what I mean.

Goblins/humans/silly elves arrive and BOOM goes the ground under their feet.
It is Fun until someone gets hurt. Then it's Hilarious.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: July 04, 2011, 07:08:04 pm »

But... The booze... Why would you waste the booze? Although, I suppose it's worth it if it kills elves in the process.

Rurik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: July 05, 2011, 07:29:25 am »

Booze can be made. Elves can be unmade with booze. It's the perfect cycle.
It is Fun until someone gets hurt. Then it's Hilarious.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: July 05, 2011, 11:32:34 am »

Booze doesn't explode.

It boils. The red gas is booze vapor.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:34:35 am by crekit »
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: July 05, 2011, 06:18:03 pm »

True, but the common term for boiling booze is exploding, it looks like it, and it's often just as lethal.   Hell I think it can even throw creatures around, though I wasn't as certain about that bit.  It just can't modify terrain.

I consider folks calling them booze explosions to be technically wrong, but it gets the mental image across.   It actually seems pretty darn close to one of those movie style firebombs really, assuming you are using normal boiling points.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: July 06, 2011, 02:40:22 am »

Hmmm. Does the 'explosion' go upward through grates?

Channel out a hall, lay grates, assign a lever or pressure plates to fill the booze stockpile below with magma. Dwarven landmines!
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 729