Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2131141 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4905 on: August 14, 2011, 08:41:30 pm »

At any rate, pastures beat pits in that cats don't feel compelled to escape them en masse at the first opportunity.

However, pits quite nicely hold magma without it filling your entire fortress with fire.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: August 14, 2011, 10:37:47 pm »

My most recent facepalm moment was not realizing after two years of playing Dwarf Fortress and reading the trap design article a couple dozen times that stone-fall, weapon, and cage traps do not need to be hooked up to levers or pressure plates. While writing this post I made sure to double-check the same line of text five times.

I think it's because I'm blonde.

Also.

At any rate, pastures beat pits in that cats don't feel compelled to escape them en masse at the first opportunity.

However, pits quite nicely hold magma without it filling your entire fortress with fire.

1.Dig pit.
2.Designate pasture in pit.
3. ?­?­?­?
4. PROFIT!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:40:52 pm by dei »

TomTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: August 15, 2011, 12:19:21 am »

when i found out that without water and/or beer, dwarves die. en mass. (this happened on my first fortress)

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: August 15, 2011, 04:52:05 am »

Took me a while to realize that my first mayor was not demanding that the fortress produce a billion items.

"WTF? How in the hell...? This game is insane. (Time passes...) Wait, is that a typo?" *Googles it* ... *FACEPALM*

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: August 15, 2011, 07:02:27 am »

God DAMN Giant Capybaras are bitches. They lob off limbs as if it's no trouble. Hunters have no problem with them but a squad of marksdwarfs loses hands, feet and even entire arms. Even the very first military engagement in this fortress cost my Militia Commander her foot. (And she is now legendary crutchwalker.) Absolutely ridiculous. Oddly enough however, I've yet to lose a single Dwarf. Even to bleeding. But I imagine losing an entire arm causes more bleeding then losing the hand. :(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

BornInATrailer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: August 15, 2011, 08:51:17 am »

The years that my unconscious mechanic languished in bed (in his bedroom) being fed and watered but never with a diagnosis and never taken to the nicely appointed hospital.. before I looked up how to fix that and simply deconstructed the bed.  Duh.

And then how, "armed" with this new knowledge, I did the same thing to an injured hammerdorf twice in a row.  Only after he succumbed to his wounds did I realize that one of the draw bridges linking the trap hall/barracks/emergency food & drink with the rest of the fortress was up.  That was probably a confusing and awful way to go.  Time to put away my pig tail cloth jump to conclusions mat.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: August 16, 2011, 05:40:12 am »

Built a cave-in trap near the entrance to my fort consisting of 10-15 single tiles that could fall independantly of eachother. When the time came I sent Urist McRecentlyImmigratedWithNoSkills to one of the many pressure plates. The single tile then fell 8 z-levels through my fort and landed on my "Dungeon Master" who was sleeping in his bed. I laughed so hard I had to order the kill everything lever pulled and the fortress was promptly encased in obsidian.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: August 17, 2011, 01:21:57 am »

As a dwarven caravan arrives, a Giantess also arrives. First I thought it the notify was for a titan... but sighed a relief when I saw it was only a giantess, but it did happen to spawn right next to the caravan. I thought it would make quick work of the caravan and then proceed into my fort, which at this point does not have any armored military (manager's queue has sets of iron weapons down the line a bit), so I started to gear up the best army I could.

I went up to the surface again to see how badly the caravan was doing... but the giant was DEAD! It got killed in a 1on1 against a elite wrestler with the caravan...
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: August 17, 2011, 05:48:36 am »

Spring, so my river thawed. The Dwarfs walking on it fell in. Two adults. One of them was a mother and she was so thirsty from her wild-water adventure that she went for some booze instead of, you know, grabbing her baby. The baby drowned, the two adults got out because I had dug an extra staircase (and opened up some floodgates but they didn't swim there.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: August 17, 2011, 02:54:44 pm »

I just accidentally mined the wrong tile in a vein of a certain awesome metal we all know...  tapping through the side into the magma sea.

Oops.

It didn't go well with three legendary miners in there.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: August 18, 2011, 04:21:45 am »

I hit damp stone while starting a fortress and had my miners dig a channel to dig the ponds into a chasm.
After a hour they finally did it and I notice all of my dwarfs are suddenly dying.
After some investigation I realized they are all trying to drink water and are falling in the channel some how and landing five hundred feet in my carp filled river.
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: August 19, 2011, 12:03:49 am »

So, I'm merrily starting a fort, and I get to the point where my first caravan shows up. Early autumn, all of the water on the map froze. All of the sudden, 12 dwarves die of thirst.

I forgot to set up a still. *facepalm*

The spiral didn't even get a chance to start before everyone died. Caravan brought barrels of blood, but no booze. *facepalm again*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: August 19, 2011, 11:56:02 am »

Tiny facepalm.
Brought a woodcutter dwarf to an embark with no trees.

WhiteSpear

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: August 19, 2011, 06:23:57 pm »

First time poster, here!
Just spent a long time setting up a new embark, carefully deciding every minute detail, and lovingly naming my dwarves. I had the perfect place lined up. Once I was satisfied, I hit "embark!"

Within 12 seconds, 2 of my dwarves were dead, and a 3rd was running for his little bearded life. A friendly alligator had popped out of the river to say hello.
I facepalmed, then told the rest of my dwarves to haul the bloody limbs away from the wagon.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: August 19, 2011, 06:27:04 pm »

First time poster, here!
Just spent a long time setting up a new embark, carefully deciding every minute detail, and lovingly naming my dwarves. I had the perfect place lined up. Once I was satisfied, I hit "embark!"

Within 12 seconds, 2 of my dwarves were dead, and a 3rd was running for his little bearded life. A friendly alligator had popped out of the river to say hello.
I facepalmed, then told the rest of my dwarves to haul the bloody limbs away from the wagon.

Welcome! Sounds like you're already getting some !!FUN!!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 729