Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126726 times)

BirdofPrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #6150 on: April 17, 2012, 04:26:08 pm »

I offered goods to a few merchants (I assumed it meant offer items for trade to see if they accepted the deal) and wondered where the goods I asked for in trade were after they left a few times.  Then I realized I was supposed to hit the trade key.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: April 17, 2012, 06:53:55 pm »

I offered goods to a few merchants (I assumed it meant offer items for trade to see if they accepted the deal) and wondered where the goods I asked for in trade were after they left a few times.  Then I realized I was supposed to hit the trade key.
. ...but think of all the FRIENDS you made!:)

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: April 17, 2012, 11:04:25 pm »

Please note this is my first time playing. I thought I was doing pretty good for being 8 hours in. I dug down, found magma, and looked up how to use magma forges. Now that I had that done, I found adamantine. I dug it out immediately, but I kept getting warm stone notifications, so it took forever. To make things worse, a megabeast had interrupted my adamantine mine. Then another, then another. Then a siege. I was about to lose, but barely made it through it all with a bit of population left. I was 9 hours in at this point. I built my population up, and was in the one-fifties. I mined more adamantine. I get the message, "you have discovered an eerie cavern..." I checked the wiki. I lost all will to live.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: April 18, 2012, 12:06:56 am »

wonderful. It's so rare that someone digs that far down without knowing what to expect
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: April 18, 2012, 12:13:52 am »

Please note this is my first time playing. I thought I was doing pretty good for being 8 hours in. I dug down, found magma, and looked up how to use magma forges. Now that I had that done, I found adamantine. I dug it out immediately, but I kept getting warm stone notifications, so it took forever. To make things worse, a megabeast had interrupted my adamantine mine. Then another, then another. Then a siege. I was about to lose, but barely made it through it all with a bit of population left. I was 9 hours in at this point. I built my population up, and was in the one-fifties. I mined more adamantine. I get the message, "you have discovered an eerie cavern..." I checked the wiki. I lost all will to live.

I lost my very first fort to the Surprise when I was only about 5 hours in, 80+ population, 2 deaths, no sign of goblins.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: April 18, 2012, 12:54:42 am »

Trained up legendary armor and weapons smiths, working on military, take a quick peek with reveal to see that fastest route for my steel clad army to breach hfs...

Solid semi-molten rock. No path through.

Dangit!
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: April 18, 2012, 01:47:06 am »

no candy spires?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: April 18, 2012, 03:07:04 am »

no candy spires?

There's some candy, then iirc 10 solid layers of semi-molten rock, then hfs... Which looked... Weird. Looked like 3 separate caverns. Shame, too. Webber down there. I'll stick a screen in this post when I get up tomorrow :p

This is the embark I posted the seed for, the one with 30,000 bars of steel worth of ores in the first 10z. I did a 2x2, volcano lower left, in case anyone wants to look at it :p

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6158 on: April 18, 2012, 12:21:02 pm »

It's funny how cave-ins make you realize, seemingly for the the first time, exactly what is above what. Magma ducts should NEVER go over the booze stockpile.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: April 18, 2012, 12:54:45 pm »

It's funny how cave-ins make you realize, seemingly for the the first time, exactly what is above what. Magma ducts should NEVER go over the booze stockpile.

*mad laughter*!!!!
I voted for BANANA!

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: April 18, 2012, 02:39:30 pm »

*mad laughter*!!!!
Ditto :D

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6161 on: April 18, 2012, 08:18:05 pm »

Quickly try playing again. Of course, as expected, I'm mass murdered by a weregiraffe. Thank the gods I didn't lose one person. That one person happened to be a vampire. Crap.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6162 on: April 18, 2012, 11:12:51 pm »

*mad laughter*!!!!
Ditto :D
OH NO!!!! LOL!!!! *facepalm* indeed...my hat is off to you sir...and my condolences!!!

CarpeDiem

• Bay Watcher
  • I just love Dwarves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: April 18, 2012, 11:17:24 pm »

Was going okay for a new fortress and had an okay migration wave of 8 with 3 kids, then 10 with 6 kids >.< ... and after all that disappointment I got a 2400 dwarfbuck wooden hatch as my first artifact

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: April 18, 2012, 11:22:44 pm »

Put it in the dining room or dormitory! Suddenly, the room is epic!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 729