Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126723 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7500 on: March 11, 2013, 02:17:28 pm »

What's inorganic-organic matter?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7501 on: March 11, 2013, 04:28:49 pm »

What's inorganic-organic matter?

I'm guessing what Bronze Collosi and water titans are made of.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7502 on: March 11, 2013, 05:35:37 pm »

So, just plain inorganic matter then?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7503 on: March 11, 2013, 05:48:15 pm »

Except alive.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Durmatagno

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep Canceled: Playing Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #7504 on: March 12, 2013, 03:01:21 pm »

First one in a little while, I'm pretty lucky and don't get sieged often. My current Masterwork fort, scratch that, last Orc died, anyway, despite having my pop cap at 250, I only got the first two migration waves, and ended at 25 Orcs, counting children born since then. Due to my low pop, I knew know Titans or whatnot would attack, and I never breached the caverns. I get a message, make that SEVEN of them, all within a few seconds of each other, about vile forces of darkness, and then, my project to unleash the clowns and then smash them bridges finished, and they came pouring out. All my Orcs but my legendary weaponsmith were in the dining hall/kitchen so I sealed them in to wait it out. Turns out, I had forgotten that part of my arena fall went through the kitchen. All the sieges, including a warlock one with necromancers, had flying mounts. Long story short, all the mounted siegers and the demons entered at the same time, one Orc, my only military orc, who was wearing full steel plate, had a mithirl bow I stole from elves, and steel jagged arrows, managed to kill ALL the mounts and siegers, and about half the demons before his head ended up inside the torture chamber, 35 tiles away, and the rest of him was a smear against the wall........long story short, be more careful with burrow and defense setup.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7505 on: March 12, 2013, 09:39:31 pm »

That is one epic orc.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7506 on: March 15, 2013, 05:50:16 pm »

During a goblin ambush, my military squad of two dwarves takes on nine bowgoblins. Mid-level skills, a mix of copper and iron armour. One of them takes an arrow to the right lung and is rushed to the hospital. They healed him up all good, even cleaning his wounds with soap, and yet he was still blinking as if severely wounded. Check his health screen, nothing wrong. Check his inventory...

They left the arrow in his lung. As far as I know it's still there.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7507 on: March 15, 2013, 10:38:26 pm »

During a goblin ambush, my military squad of two dwarves takes on nine bowgoblins. Mid-level skills, a mix of copper and iron armour. One of them takes an arrow to the right lung and is rushed to the hospital. They healed him up all good, even cleaning his wounds with soap, and yet he was still blinking as if severely wounded. Check his health screen, nothing wrong. Check his inventory...

They left the arrow in his lung. As far as I know it's still there.
Is the arrow forbidden?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7508 on: March 15, 2013, 11:09:09 pm »

Is the arrow forbidden?

It wasn't, strangely enough. I checked that. But now I can't figure out which dwarf it was, so I assume it got torn out at some point, since none of my military dwarves have arrows in their lungs.

Tamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FurryHelix
« Reply #7509 on: March 16, 2013, 07:13:23 pm »

Only a mild one, today...

Set up an arena/training circle in a great big hole that I dug out; surrounding the central staircase by a room with 4 drawbridges, so that it can be sealed off once the military are in there, and before the cages are opened.

...you can already tell what's coming now, can't you?

Yup. Left one of the drawbridges set to retract.  D'oh.

The trainees were too slow to catch the goblin before he made it up the staircase; but the main army puréed him in short order when he blundered right into the militia commander and his war lion; so it wasn't entirely a loss, but the recruits could have done with the training. Now I have to wait for another goblin thief to be caught in the cages.
I see !!elves!! of green, and red !!magma!! too; I see them burn for me and you; and I think to myself, what a wonderful world...

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7510 on: March 16, 2013, 08:23:14 pm »

Noticed that one of the doors in the room where we take water from the aquifer was a bit offset from the others.
Figured "Eh, I'll order it evened out with the others, this shouldn't be too different from piercing an aquifer"
Made it so. Dug further into the aquifer than was wise.

So I've got a semi-flooded chamber and the dwarves can't reach the walls they need to in order to close it off even with the pumps running. I then compounded the mess by having them channel out a wall and nearly drowning the resident welfare mom and her progeny when the water pushed them into the channel.

Now digging out a water battery a couple levels below that will be powered by the runoff from this mess.
Realized that if I'm taking from the chamber to power the battery, there won't be enough water to go to the pumps for use topside.
So I'm going to have to drop a divider into the chamber via cave-in and channel into the aquifer and place doors so that I get significant flow to the battery.
And the mess in the primary chamber will still not be fixed. But I'll be able to do away with the topside windfarm and maybe increase bandwidth on the pumpstack. So maybe that will help with the flooding. Or maybe I'll just muck it all up some more. DWARF FORTRESS!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7511 on: March 17, 2013, 03:00:39 am »

One of the classics:
i assigned some working dwarfs to the military, primarily to cut down on their downtime by giving them waterskins. But while i was at it, i decided it'd be nice to have them capable of actually doing some harm in times of need, so added shields, helmets and crossbows to their 'no uniform' base.
A while later, crow men harassed the mechanics cleaning out bits of other crow men from the traps, so i sent in the militia to shoot them down. The militia arrived... and proceeded to stand around like a bunch of chumps until the crow men flew off by themselves. Slightly baffled, i checked the squad's equipment and indeed, all their quivers were empty.

Only archer squads get assigned bolts at squad creation, all others don't, among them 'no uniform'. I had simply forgotten to add bolts. They've shaped up into a decent archer reserve now, with just over a year of training and shooting flying wildlife.

Manze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7512 on: March 17, 2013, 03:50:43 pm »

Working on getting some more candy for my fort, it didn't occur to me that the spire might go above the level I found it on. Digging into it fro the side, I was suddenly interrupted by horrifying screams. And my military was on the surface. There goes a fort. =/

Brenticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7513 on: March 17, 2013, 09:40:22 pm »

My Titan battle was stolen by merchants :(.  While they were busy slaughtering MY turtle god I was accidentally drowning th fortress with an aquifer leak...

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7514 on: March 18, 2013, 02:29:15 am »

first year above ground Depot in an Terrifying Biome side of the map. I didn't even wall it in on one side yet... The side that suddenly produced Huskfying cursed clouds just after the merchants were settled in to trade. As soon as the first one became a husk- I abandoned...

Actually I think that's more of a headesk one.

and a LOL- WHAT on reclaim as the Outpost liaison and the Merchants were still there and friendly... I haven't hit resume yet as I wanted to Draft my five warriors to handle any berserking. Ended up on the Taiga side of the ocean.

Edit: Turns out the merchants were indeed husks but the liaison is still around friendly...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 02:45:53 am by Necrisha »
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 729