Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126598 times)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7650 on: April 30, 2013, 08:27:24 pm »

i had an accomplished sworddwarf in a danger room with his squadmates. he's the only one that not an elite. instead of training his sword up to great, i got his shield skills up to legendary.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7651 on: April 30, 2013, 10:27:10 pm »

i had an accomplished sworddwarf in a danger room with his squadmates. he's the only one that not an elite. instead of training his sword up to great, i got his shield skills up to legendary.

Not sure why that's a facepalm. When I (rarely) use danger rooms, I always start my soldiers off empty-handed so that they train Armor User up to legendary, then give them a shield until they're legendary with that, then their weapons. They pick up a fair amount of Dodger during that time as well.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7652 on: May 01, 2013, 12:23:12 am »

I had a great fortress going. Accidentally unleashed the circus and was completely prepared for it. If only I remembered that upright bridges were constructions still... I even had time to build a wall before they tore it down.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7653 on: May 01, 2013, 12:41:55 am »

What? Nothing at present can tear down upright bridges! Or any constructions for that matter.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7654 on: May 01, 2013, 12:52:57 am »

What? Nothing at present can tear down upright bridges! Or any constructions for that matter.

He means that they tore down the bridge while it was still in the "down" position, which happens a lot to me.  More often when my dwarves are tantrumming rather than by enemies, but still...

My current facepalm:  I just realized I can check the (c)ivilizations screen, go to my dwarf's civ, and check out the trade agreements I made with them.  All this time I've been writing it down manually... *weeps gently*
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7655 on: May 01, 2013, 06:23:20 am »

Wait... you can do that? Who'd've thought?
Still writing it down I guess, I really like to have the list in eyeshot. But I never knew it was actually possible to view it in-game.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7656 on: May 01, 2013, 07:54:46 am »

And there I was ignoring their desires entirely and selling them all the junk I made from animal bones.

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7657 on: May 01, 2013, 08:55:41 am »

No, the bridge was up, and they deconstructed it. Or it deconstructed from the heat of them, whichever.

usgreth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7658 on: May 01, 2013, 11:53:19 am »

Hrm they shouldn't be able to deconstruct it when it was up, unless possibly if the bridge closes towards them instead of away, that might leave the mechanism exposed?
If it was a bridge made out of lignite/soap/butter however...

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7659 on: May 01, 2013, 08:07:05 pm »

My current facepalm:  I just realized I can check the (c)ivilizations screen, go to my dwarf's civ, and check out the trade agreements I made with them.  All this time I've been writing it down manually... *weeps gently*

Wait... you can do that? Who'd've thought?
Still writing it down I guess, I really like to have the list in eyeshot. But I never knew it was actually possible to view it in-game.

The agreement disappears from the screen when the liaison shows up again. And since that happens pretty much at the same time as the caravan arrives, waiting until they show up and deciding "let's check and see what they wanted this time" doesn't work.

But yes, in the in-between months, it is very handy.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7660 on: May 02, 2013, 10:42:03 am »

I ordered my rangers to take out a pack of giant dingos before they could pose a threat to the fort. They charged with empty quivers. All of them. Dwarves:1 legendary dead, 1 lost a foot and lots of blood, 1 broke a leg and lost lots of blood.
Dingos: 2 dead, the rest scattered
Civilian casualties: 0
I should have just restricted to burrows and raised the bridge once everyone was inside. We have a moat.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7661 on: May 02, 2013, 11:11:15 am »

And there I was ignoring their desires entirely and selling them all the junk I made from animal bones.
Glad I'm not the only one.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7662 on: May 03, 2013, 01:21:44 am »

This is more of a "Why the fuck does it work that way" moment as opposed to a self facepalm moment, but WHY oh WHY is it that if wheelbarrows exist, then dwarves refuse to haul without them?

I seriously had to forbid every single wheelbarrow because in addition to the above, stockpiles can only use three wheelbarrows at once, even if you have a max-size stockpile. -.-

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7663 on: May 03, 2013, 02:39:26 am »

This is more of a "Why the fuck does it work that way" moment as opposed to a self facepalm moment, but WHY oh WHY is it that if wheelbarrows exist, then dwarves refuse to haul without them?

I seriously had to forbid every single wheelbarrow because in addition to the above, stockpiles can only use three wheelbarrows at once, even if you have a max-size stockpile. -.-
Dwarves won't use wheelbarrows for a stockpile if you set the stockpile to use 0 wheelbarrows.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7664 on: May 03, 2013, 12:36:15 pm »

I embarked on a rather nice map, plenty of wood and a river nearby. Started digging then saw the message: Urist mcMiner has drowned. I'm confused since i bridged the river so i check where the bridge is. Theres 3 crocodiles there. I check the combat logs, they bit the miners legs off and then he dodged into the river *facepalm*... i then get my hunter, woodcutter, and other miner over there to kill the crocs with my other 3 dwarves just punching them. 2 of the crocs leave the map while the third is beat unconcious. My hunter then decides to take a shot at it and hits my farmer in the heart. (he gets lucky with friendly fire... *facepalm*) He then fires one more shot that both my last Miner and my Mason dodge... into the river again *facepalm*... I'm left with a team killing hunter, an oblivious carpenter (he was sleeping the entire time), and a tramitized woodcutter who i think is about to go beserk. I also have no picks left. *FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM*

Edit: Just checked the hunters mind. He was inconvienienced today, had no friends on embark, and likes crocodiles... *FACEPALM*
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:42:46 pm by RangerCado »
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 509 510 [511] 512 513 ... 729