Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126606 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #7740 on: June 03, 2013, 11:27:45 pm »

I got a door artifact that I planepacked and left alone for a while.
Eighty seven images of itself in raw adamantine.
Two hundred and three images of itself in adamantine.
And that's not counting other fancy things, like the alpaca wool spikes

Can you tell us the price? Candy decorations should be worth 300K(raw) and 360K(processed) each. This item is a serious contender for the Most Valuable Item Ever record.
I don't remember the price, and that world is long gone ;_; But it was upwards of... millions. Millions of millions.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7741 on: June 04, 2013, 05:08:20 pm »

Wondered why I hadn't gotten an ambush in a while, then I checked the merchant road I'd set up at the end of the entrance crater. Dozens of pureed goblins on the traps.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: June 04, 2013, 11:39:18 pm »

A cave crocodile once managed to kill SIX of my underground plant gatherers. I only figured it out because I saw a named crocodile in the Units menu.
FEAR THE CROCODILE!

Talikmon

• Bay Watcher
  • Surprise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: June 05, 2013, 02:55:53 am »

Oh god.... last night.  Built a cat genocide machine (technically just one passage in my fort all spike trapped for keeping the pop down). 

Anyway my 4th hammerer arrived and, like before, I activated the main entrance spike traps to take care of him.  Unfortunately I put the wrong lever on repeat - the cat genocide machine.  Since I hadn't actually intended on using it I hadn't locked the doors at either end. 

To add insult to injury, I went off to make myself a cuppa while this was happening.  When I got back and discovered what I had done, it was after about 20 dorfs were already in bed due to a rare case of 'basketball sized perforations'.   Dammit...

Till

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7744 on: June 05, 2013, 06:20:36 am »

I just build an ingenious track system, which gets stones from the mining area and throws them into a chute above my central stone stockpile. From there they were carried to the workshops, where they are needed. It was not until a great amount of stones were used until I realised, that frequently dropping stones on your workers is not a good idea.
Now I need more stones for coffins.

Chuggz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: June 05, 2013, 11:42:26 am »

I just build an ingenious track system, which gets stones from the mining area and throws them into a chute above my central stone stockpile. From there they were carried to the workshops, where they are needed. It was not until a great amount of stones were used until I realised, that frequently dropping stones on your workers is not a good idea.
Now I need more stones for coffins.
I had something very similar, except what I did was have a large stockpile area above the workshops, then used mini minecart dumping tracks to drop stones and materials into various workshops, so if I wanted, say, a set of marble furniture, I'd just have to queue up the orders at the workshop that was getting marble dropped in it. It actually worked fine, until I spontaneously dropped three loads onto my three best masons. Had to rework the tracks to actually travel down and dump horizontally instead of just through a shaft...

henkalv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: June 05, 2013, 01:45:55 pm »

A kid in my fort just got a mood and made a bracelet out of raw adamantine

words cannot express the rage I felt

Lawlcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: June 06, 2013, 07:34:45 am »

Apparently if I'm going to use a bridge as a door to defend against hostiles coming up from my mines...

... I should probably make sure it's hooked up to the lever. 

MattStriker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:19 am »

Built a drop-shaft to get surface ores (and goblinite) down to the magmaforge level. Simple idea: Lock the landing area, dump stuff onto trapdoor (retracting bridge), drop it, unlock landing area and have dorfs pick the stuff up down there.

Yeah, I'm sure most of you already know what happened.

Azerax

• Bay Watcher
  • Azerax stops posting, seeking child.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7749 on: June 06, 2013, 11:59:25 am »

Digging down to the magma sea, finding adamantite.  SWEET

Odd, why does it look like there's an elavator shaft.. oh well, must gets the adamantites...

Dorfs discover a glowing purple cavern.  RETRO SWEET!

Horrifying screams come from the depths.  Hmmm

118 flying fireball throwing/poison spitting/ice pooping demons swarm from the bowels of hell.

Fun ensued.  Did not have any way to cut off access from below.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: June 06, 2013, 02:43:24 pm »

Digging down to the magma sea, finding adamantite.  SWEET

Odd, why does it look like there's an elavator shaft.. oh well, must gets the adamantites...

Dorfs discover a glowing purple cavern.  RETRO SWEET!

Horrifying screams come from the depths.  Hmmm

118 flying fireball throwing/poison spitting/ice pooping demons swarm from the bowels of hell.

Fun ensued.  Did not have any way to cut off access from below.

Heh. I still remember my first time popping the circus open. FUN indeed. We've all been there, haha
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

anzelm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: June 06, 2013, 03:39:17 pm »

ice pooping demons
Ouch.

Just built a multi-level air farm, only to discovered that windmills don't work when covered by a floor from above.
And they raise their wooden pints
And they yoik and sing
And they fight and dance till the morning!

orodoth

• Bay Watcher
  • A fat and drunken dwarf is a happy dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7752 on: June 06, 2013, 07:27:59 pm »

after 5 or 6 forts lost to the fun of being a noob, realizing there was an option to smooth stone, instead of digging out rooms and hallways larger than they were meant to be, just so my grumbling mason-dwarves could come build walls...under ground...in 100% stone.

The other was digging a super sweet granite base about 5 z-levels down, and having a series of channels built for multiple wells, and even an underground fishing area made with stone piers carved out. The design was simple, dig all my paths, tunnels, and ramps that would enable the flow of water, double check my layout, channel out the last 2 blocks of loamy sand next to the creek...yeah, the thing about water and dwarven physics, is the air pressure of a room 7 z-levels below a stream, wont equalize how much water can enter said room.. the water instead flows up an infinite number of z-levels, and comes to stop once it reaches the height of its starting z-level, or runs out..it wasn't gonna run out... I flooded 7 layers worth of fort, on a world map with ZERO aquifers.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:41:45 pm by orodoth »

filipmolnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: June 07, 2013, 06:50:14 am »

after 5 or 6 forts lost to the fun of being a noob, realizing there was an option to smooth stone, instead of digging out rooms and hallways larger than they were meant to be, just so my grumbling mason-dwarves could come build walls...under ground...in 100% stone.

The other was digging a super sweet granite base about 5 z-levels down, and having a series of channels built for multiple wells, and even an underground fishing area made with stone piers carved out. The design was simple, dig all my paths, tunnels, and ramps that would enable the flow of water, double check my layout, channel out the last 2 blocks of loamy sand next to the creek...yeah, the thing about water and dwarven physics, is the air pressure of a room 7 z-levels below a stream, wont equalize how much water can enter said room.. the water instead flows up an infinite number of z-levels, and comes to stop once it reaches the height of its starting z-level, or runs out..it wasn't gonna run out... I flooded 7 layers worth of fort, on a world map with ZERO aquifers.

You could still make rescue this. If water freezes on your map you could stop water from flowing in when winter comes, then pump the water out. If there is no freeze, then depending on layout you can cave in a part of the fort to seal the water, then pump.

Or you could divert the stream, by building a few pumps that pump water into channels, that divert the water off screen, draining the stream temporarily, wall in the secion of the inflow and once again, pump water out of the fort.
D_E is a true saint.

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: June 07, 2013, 08:40:45 am »

Opened up the circus and murdered some clowns.
Military was fine.
They got topside and started training.
Miasma started eminating from everyone in the military. Everyone. EVERYONE.
The entire fort went crazy because the clowns made my soldiers SHIT THEIR PANTS AND THEY WOULDNT WIPE.
Tantrum spirals abounded and dwarf doo was smeared on the walls.

The facepalm part of this story was that the save was deleted. I hate everything.
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 729