Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126466 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8085 on: October 27, 2013, 04:22:13 pm »

Urist McChef cancels prepare Easy Meal: Hunting vermin for food

The palm enters the skull, tearing the muscle, fracturing the skull and bruising the brain!
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: October 27, 2013, 04:31:17 pm »

Urist McChef cancels prepare Easy Meal: Hunting vermin for food

The palm enters the skull, tearing the muscle, fracturing the skull and bruising the brain!

For a moment I thought an undead hand had leaped at his face and killed him.
HugoLuman: What got in?
MrSparky: The river.

lockbreaker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8087 on: October 27, 2013, 04:50:01 pm »

My latest failed fortress had lost six dwarves in the first year to drowning.  There was this incredible waterfall on the map, so i built my fortress entrance next to it, but unfortunately my little idiots liked to run under it and get swept off into the river.  The first spring migration wave had 39 dwarves.  Not a single one made it through the door.  All of them drowned on the way in.  Every.  Single.  One. 

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: October 27, 2013, 04:50:46 pm »

I just lost my second fortress.
Got a goblin ambush (or siege, don't know what it was), so I activated my drawbridge and accidentally locked half my fortress outside. I thought this was the best plan of attack, as my military was very weak (I didn't have a sedenmentary layer or tin, so they had copper gear). Turns out the goblins didn't arrive till much later, when like 80 of my dwarfs had died because of the tantrum spiral that happened after half my fortress had to spend multiple nights outside in a snowstorm without water.
And when they arived, the remaining ~20 dwarfs where all to busy tantruming to pull the bridge back up, turning my entranceway red.

Needless to say, I facepalmed pretty hard.

So I presume the goblins arrived to an open fortress with 80 frozen dwarfs, and went inside to find 20 dwarfs beating each other up, shaking in the corner or smashing their own head open on a wall?

Actually I read some more things on the wiki, and apperantly, when the goblins came it was an actual siege.

So what happened was, I got a message about a goblin ambush. All my dwarfs ran out of my fortress for whatever reason, so I quickly pulled up my drawbridge, moved my military there and waited for the goblins to show up...
But no goblins came! (I think that my civilian dwarfs took care of them) So basically I ended up panicking and leaving half my fortress outside, in a snowstorm, without anything to drink. Needless to say, the combination of snow, having to sleep on the ground, the sun, thirst and dwarfs dying of thirst caused a tantrum spiral. The thirst problem only got worse because I had ran out of booze, and my dwarfs died of thirst before they could drink the newly brewed booze.

And to top it all off, a goblin siege arrived when I had just about 20 miserable dwarfs left (half of which also where insane)

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: October 27, 2013, 05:12:26 pm »

Weaver's strange mood produces a headscarf, made from a single piece of animal silk and nothing else. It's called "Fail". Literally.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 05:14:30 pm by Valikdu »

Jokerleouf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: October 28, 2013, 07:44:52 am »

I just began my fortress in the mountains. My dwarf started to dig and to do all their tasks, and then a wolverine arrived, charged at my fisherdwarf, who was thrown directly on a rock and died becaus his head "exploded"... Yep, great start and great facepalm !  :'(

Elarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: October 29, 2013, 04:13:06 am »

Playing a new fort and planned out a long winding caravan tunnel (3 wide), side passage (for dwarfs quick access, laced with traps), double drawbridges (each end of the tunnel) and finally an indoor trade depot. Built a stock pile next to the trade depot too for speed. A (so far) very well planned entrance I think (I know I've just cursed myself by saying that! .... 5 yr history and second highest setting for megabeasts.....)

Anyway, I got a message about caravans unable to reach my trade depot but they still came on horses anyway, just no carriage. Meh, must be those slopes preventing my entrance way being "3 wide" enough for them. 9 YEARS later I was wondering why the ONLY caravan I've had was dwarven... and even they didn't bring their wagon with them ever...

Finally I remembered there is a button to check Depot Access (D), that nice winding tunnel I built... one, just one bleeding wall piece wasn't dug out! It had nothing to do with the slopes and what not at all!

Ranold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: October 29, 2013, 04:24:51 am »

I had something similar when using the new version, not realizing that traps will block wagons. Anyway, 9 years without a caravan  wow :o  I usually can't bare to miss even one, are you intentionally choking down your wealth production to avoid large immigration waves?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: October 29, 2013, 04:34:13 am »

Made a stockpile for some magma-safe stone, not too big but not too small.

Forgot to set number of wheelbarrows - fps goes way down and a long line of thirsty and hungry dwarves forms between the stockpile and the deepest reaches of my fortress. Needless to say any activity that doesn't have a dedicated(no hauling) dwarf is halted

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: October 29, 2013, 08:47:27 am »

Weaver's strange mood produces a headscarf, made from a single piece of animal silk and nothing else. It's called "Fail". Literally.

Lorikeet pegasus? lolwut?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: October 29, 2013, 01:36:30 pm »

lorikeets.... one of the most evil birds known to mankind. I have recently acquired ear scars from my trip to that aquarium. If they have combined with the dread unicorn cousins, then Ugdash, Female dwarf deity, have mercy on us all.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: October 30, 2013, 06:11:42 pm »

So, I had a block stockpile in the bottom floor of my future barracks, and there was a siege. So, I dug fortifications. Then the dug fortifications led to "interrupted by goblin" spam. So I removed the fortifications to make space for solid walls...

And a bloody siege hit. It was like they were just salivating at the opportunity. I'm surprised the goblins didn't wipe out the fort, but they ran away just as I was beginning to despair.

11sparky11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: October 30, 2013, 06:17:12 pm »

So, first hunting trip for my hunter and his faithful companion. This happens.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How. He was pushed. In the head. By a louse. A FREAKIN' LOUSE.
HugoLuman: What got in?
MrSparky: The river.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: October 30, 2013, 08:45:27 pm »

If it makes you feel any better, imagine the dog being run over by a llama-sized living tank doing a spin dash.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8099 on: October 31, 2013, 05:40:38 am »

My hunter fell asleep in the middle of hunting. I'm not kidding. He was shooting at this boar and then he suddenly stopped, went to sleep, and the boar limps away and escapes..
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 729