Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126522 times)

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8220 on: January 05, 2014, 12:53:14 pm »

You should invest in bins and I generally make my farmers the brewer as well and turn off hauling duties for all of them. Except for the first few seasons until the workforce builds up enough to take up the slack.

I've embarked in a place with virtually no wood, and also no weapons-grade metal, so I couldn't breach the caverns safely. Making bins out of gold seems heavy and considering the dumbness of my dwarves...
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8221 on: January 05, 2014, 01:22:47 pm »

You should invest in bins and I generally make my farmers the brewer as well and turn off hauling duties for all of them. Except for the first few seasons until the workforce builds up enough to take up the slack.

I've embarked in a place with virtually no wood, and also no weapons-grade metal, so I couldn't breach the caverns safely. Making bins out of gold seems heavy and considering the dumbness of my dwarves...

Yea, good point. The caravans bring lots of wood, so you should be able to get some soon if you're low on wood.

Also, you can make large pots out of stone, which will free up wood for use in bins.

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8222 on: January 05, 2014, 01:32:51 pm »

Went to haunted evil biome, lost within 2 minutes of gameplay  >:(
Strike the earth!

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8223 on: January 05, 2014, 02:22:44 pm »

What happened?

Urist McOriginalname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8224 on: January 05, 2014, 06:04:48 pm »

In my second attempt at DF i had no idea about wells and as the winter came my river froze , but only in the last week of winter I saw the first victim of dehydration because i unconsciously had stacked up on metric ton of booze from embark and the first caravan , but as my people fell from my lack of knowledge , about 7 dwarfs survived and there was one special beekeeper who caught my eye as his dehydrated body blindly rushed to the now flowing spring river.
While he was as i imagine shoving his whole face under water , a sea lamprey took a swing at him. Being the clumsy beekeeper we all love , he fell in the river.

And there i was , looking at the screen for 5 minutes as the message "Urist Mcbeekeeper has died of dehydration" was floating on the screen.

After that fort was done i knew DF was a game for me.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8225 on: January 05, 2014, 07:28:29 pm »

What happened?

Ravens. It's usually undead ravens.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8226 on: January 05, 2014, 08:30:41 pm »

Husks/thralls or 'just' undead?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8227 on: January 05, 2014, 09:09:36 pm »

The caravans bring lots of wood, so you should be able to get some soon if you're low on wood.
Forbidden wood doesn't count towards the traders' estimation of your stocks, so you can pretend to be low on wood. The traders' goods are decided when they spawn -- not sure if it happens per caravan, or per goods-carrying animal.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8228 on: January 05, 2014, 09:42:05 pm »

The caravans bring lots of wood, so you should be able to get some soon if you're low on wood.
Forbidden wood doesn't count towards the traders' estimation of your stocks, so you can pretend to be low on wood. The traders' goods are decided when they spawn -- not sure if it happens per caravan, or per goods-carrying animal.

True, but I was speaking of when your wood supplies actually are low, which is doktoros situation.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8229 on: January 05, 2014, 10:10:21 pm »

Yup, but hiding all the logs means you can keep more around if you suddenly need a lot of something else.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Bonesinger

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8230 on: January 06, 2014, 10:48:56 pm »

There was this time I decided to embark on an evil biome with terrifying wilderness. I hadn't read the wiki or any forum post about all the bad fun stuff it provides.
I take a look at the map, the trees are quite dead, but at least the river looked good enough. Unpause, immediately comes an evil cloud. It gets a single dwarf, which becomes a zombie and, since none of my dwarves had any military skill, they all became zombies, one by one.
Okay, now I know evil clouds are evil, I prepare to quickly dig anything and hide my dorfs there!
Reclaim, embark, unpause, a few moments later, ambush! It's one of the original settlers! I really didn't expect that they would appear there. Anyway, the reclaim failed, then i decided to cheat. All 7 dwarves high master fighters, dodgers and other military skills, all equipped with steel gear and weapons. A lot of resources to endure at least a year and let's embark!
Before unpausing, I put all dwarves under a squad and get ready to order a kill. Unpause, 3 zombies in sight. Attack! And they start fighting! And more zombies appear! And I see some hacked off parts reanimating and attacking my dorfs. And that's when I notice that I simply have no chance here anymore. And to add insult to injury, another frakking evil cloud got ALL of my dwarves. Armokfrikkindamit!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8231 on: January 07, 2014, 08:59:06 pm »

Pit:  2 gorlak
Restrain:1 necromancer, human fisher

So I modify an archers arena for a necromancer.  I dig out an area for it, and put the access to it inside the containnent area.  I have a bridge up, space is tight, why not?  I assign the jobs simultaneously, and the gorlak gets pitted first.  I hear about this as, Blah, dwarven baby has bled to death.  Tge mother drops the nowzombie baby who then procedes to pommel her with tge gorlak.  Military was barracked down the hall, but could not respond in time to save her.

Killed by your own child . . . zombie.

Also screwed up the gcs silk farm, but I can fix that.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8232 on: January 08, 2014, 08:34:08 pm »

So, my soldiers had driven off their first goblin siege with no casualties, except for the poor baby stuck on the axedwarf's back. The mother was grief stricken.

So I went down, saw the coffin that the baby was going in, and prepared a slab. Then I look down, and I see "Urist McBreeder cancels bury corpse, seeking infant."

Oh myyyy...

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8233 on: January 10, 2014, 02:13:27 am »

My legendary military strode out over the bridge over the magma pool, looking to kill the lone remaining goblin crossbowman.

I didn't expect three of them to dive off the bridge to avoid bolts.

The goblin only has one arm, for crying out loud....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8234 on: January 10, 2014, 09:23:02 am »

My legendary military strode out over the bridge over the magma pool, looking to kill the lone remaining goblin crossbowman.

I didn't expect three of them to dive off the bridge to avoid bolts.

The goblin only has one arm, for crying out loud....

And that is why I abandoned my fort in the middle of a massive magma pool I dug out...
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 729