Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126692 times)

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8280 on: February 05, 2014, 03:35:36 am »

He doesn't have remarkable stats, 1096 agility(average), 1561 endurance(VERY slow to tire), 859 recuperation(average), 1484 strength(average), 1594 toughness(he's tough), 1237 willpower. Amazing how this guy is even standing, he's also a novice soldier, lvl 2 in most combat skills and 1 in spear... The other dude who got injured is almost dead from dehydration and doesn't move despite no foot damage...and he is is might, almost as tough as Zon here, and greater recuperation...I don't know what to make of this lol

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8281 on: February 05, 2014, 03:08:34 pm »

My most recent face-palm, I was trading a human caravan and they had a caged male drake I bartered for immediately.

"A drake?"  I thought, "How awesome!  I will have this terrible carnivorous, magical reptile creature to defend my fort!  Forget guard dogs...if I can tame this thing my fort will be AWESOME!"

I had visions of goblins being bitten in half by my new pet drake, fearsome in visage.

Then I face-palmed.  A drake is a male duck.

Noun

drake (plural drakes)

A male duck.

Noun

drake (plural drakes)

A mayfly used as fishing bait.
    A dragon.  [quotations ▼]
    (historical) A small piece of artillery.  [quotations ▼]

ColdOneK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8282 on: February 05, 2014, 04:19:37 pm »

priced at 110 dwarf bucks
 ;D

Well look at the bright side, dig down to the caves and set up some cage traps passed a raising drawbridge, and you could cap some giant spiders or crocs

make the drawbridge before breaching - forgotten cave beasts usually have trapavoid apparently...found out today  :P
fliers get caught in cage traps - have a giant bat an some buzzards to prove it
50 lvl 8 or better dwarves armed with the finest copper and silver armor and weapons this crap embark could provide :'( made short work making the damn thing stay forgotten before it could harm a single dwarf lol

after snagging a pair - train them - then have them breed while tamed - don't bother till you get a pair or there's a chance they'll revert to wild after being trained
there is a chance the offspring will be (tame)
you may not be able to train them as war beasts, but if you assign war dogs, they become pets, witch somewhat defeats their purpose

I've done this with elk birds and naked mole dogs - working on giant olms atm but only have a male...
~likes grizzlies for the epicness - dwarves for their melee - prefers to drink bourbon and coke when possible - needs alcohol to get through the working day - a fat stubby creature prone to arrogance and bouts of insanity~

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8283 on: February 05, 2014, 08:59:40 pm »

after snagging a pair - train them - then have them breed while tamed - don't bother till you get a pair or there's a chance they'll revert to wild after being trained
there is a chance the offspring will be (tame)
Offspring are only Tame if the mother is Tame. If the mother is trained, then the offspring inherit her training level. While the offspring are still children their training can decay to Semi-Wild, but no further. Animals that are trained as children will become Tame, but animals trained as adults will not.

You can train up an animal before you have a breeding pair, especially if the one you have already is female and gives live birth. Either give your dedicated animal trainers little to do, or enable the labour on a number of dwarves and don't assign the animal to anyone.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8284 on: February 06, 2014, 11:09:03 am »

Offspring are only Tame if the mother is Tame.
Actually I'm pretty sure offspring can randomly be tame as long as the mother was trained above a certain level, but you can't "tame" an animal that was wild at any point of its life...

ColdOneK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8285 on: February 07, 2014, 07:19:00 am »

I had a slight problem with elk birds in the caverns, so I set up some cage traps, and caught some of them -
trained them - then placed in nest boxes - they bred
and I had tame elk birds

I slaughtered all the surviving non tame ones
they also starve to death while incubating their eggs - probably a bug - insignificant though

I had the same results with blind/naked mole dogs
but they didn't require nest boxes to breed

they were wild before becoming trained, and breeding tame babies
~likes grizzlies for the epicness - dwarves for their melee - prefers to drink bourbon and coke when possible - needs alcohol to get through the working day - a fat stubby creature prone to arrogance and bouts of insanity~

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8286 on: February 07, 2014, 09:23:41 am »

"Tame", not "trained"?

What mod are you using? This very demonstrably doesn't happen in the unmodded game - children of "trained" animals inherit their mothers' training grade, they don't start out tame.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8287 on: February 07, 2014, 01:34:00 pm »

"Tame", not "trained"?

What mod are you using? This very demonstrably doesn't happen in the unmodded game - children of "trained" animals inherit their mothers' training grade, they don't start out tame.
No mods, I had it happen with  Dralthas too, perhaps first gen tameness is a possible feature of first level cavern dwellers? Or maybe we just got lucky

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #8288 on: February 07, 2014, 01:55:48 pm »

I've had naked mole pups born that were just trained, not tame. I think tameness is for the third generation of trained creatures. Maybe if your wild animals are trained really well it's possible for their children, the second generation, to be tame but I dunno.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8289 on: February 07, 2014, 10:29:06 pm »

I made my tens of thousands of items, 100 dwarf fort into a quantum stockpile system to condense my crap-strewn-everywhere problem. I set it to accept certain types of refuse(bones and skulls) for crafting.
EVERY item that is affected by wear was worn out and destroyed before i noticed the unhappy thoughts from lack of clothes.... @$#$@#!!!!!!
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8290 on: February 07, 2014, 10:54:18 pm »

I think tameness is for the third generation of trained creatures.
Might be second generation of trained creatures if you wait for the wild ones to give birth and then train the offspring before they grow up (if that works -- never tried training a wild child creature).

But either way, you're still waiting through one pregnancy and one childhood.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8291 on: February 08, 2014, 08:37:23 pm »

I think tameness is for the third generation of trained creatures.
Might be second generation of trained creatures if you wait for the wild ones to give birth and then train the offspring before they grow up (if that works -- never tried training a wild child creature).

That's what I meant, yeah. Counted the wild animals that get caught and trained as the first generation. Their children are born "Trained" to some quality, and then the children of those children should be "tame".
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8292 on: February 09, 2014, 12:13:36 am »

I just realized that I had sent in the wrong person to be killed by demons when I saw that the vampires profession was still up in DT, job, drinking blood, and right at that moment ingame, one of my masonry guys died. *facepalm*

In other words, I THOUGHT I had sent in the vampire when I actually didn't.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8293 on: February 09, 2014, 01:26:17 pm »

Modding in new race based off the body of trolls. Took a while to find why they weren't showing up in arena. After fixing that, I get to see their names drawn in game for the first time.

Apparently, I had misspelled "trollock" as "trollcok". It was just a simple misspelling, but...

TrollCOK.

TrollCOCKS.

I accidentally made a race of troll cocks that would war with everyone and wield giant phallus-like clubs.

*facepalms*

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8294 on: February 09, 2014, 06:13:38 pm »

Modding in new race based off the body of trolls. Took a while to find why they weren't showing up in arena. After fixing that, I get to see their names drawn in game for the first time.

Apparently, I had misspelled "trollock" as "trollcok". It was just a simple misspelling, but...

TrollCOK.

TrollCOCKS.

I accidentally made a race of troll cocks that would war with everyone and wield giant phallus-like clubs.

*facepalms*

There isn't an emoticon for how terrified I look right now.
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 729