Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2131108 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8355 on: February 25, 2014, 01:17:43 pm »

So I've got this wonderful FB trap setup... I've murdered at least 10 unwanted FB's in it, trying to get a particular one into a web trap.

However, this particular FB refuses to stand 2 away from the bait doors.  No other FB has this problem, just him.  So every time I ALMOST get him into the trap, he screws it up, and I have to open it back up, let other FBs in, who (usually) eat the doors for him and I reset and try again.

On the fourth attempt, I now have 4 FBs in here, all at the wrong range.  One's ON the door, one's right next to it cardinally, and two are a square away at the corner.

ARGH.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8356 on: February 25, 2014, 01:31:18 pm »

Apply cave-in dust. It should knock them around some so they have to rearrange their door admiration society meeting. Although if you have fliers down there it could allow access to your fortress if you don't wall off the soon-to-be-full-of-holes area before pulling the support's lever.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8357 on: February 25, 2014, 01:34:11 pm »

Apply cave-in dust. It should knock them around some so they have to rearrange their door admiration society meeting. Although if you have fliers down there it could allow access to your fortress if you don't wall off the soon-to-be-full-of-holes area before pulling the support's lever.

Everyone mentions this, but there's an issue in general with this theory.  Unless you dig mile-wide corridors (I don't), you have to practically dig over the FB's head to clear the space around the cave-in... at which point your miners run away like little girls.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8358 on: February 25, 2014, 01:43:26 pm »

Everyone mentions this, but there's an issue in general with this theory.  Unless you dig mile-wide corridors (I don't), you have to practically dig over the FB's head to clear the space around the cave-in... at which point your miners run away like little girls.

Just dig out the rock +1z above the FB, but don't channel it. Then go to +2z and do the cavein preparations there. No freakout that way while you construct the supports, and the cavein will puncture through +1z all right. Unless I'm missing something, it should work.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8359 on: February 25, 2014, 04:26:40 pm »

I just made a new cisern closer to my hospital and made it 2 water lvls deep to prevent evaporation, but turns out wells only collect water when it's 3 water lvls deep. it's winter now and the murky pools are frozen...
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8360 on: February 25, 2014, 05:42:12 pm »

wells only collect water when it's 3 water lvls deep.
Buckets can bring up water from wells that are one level deep, but you'll get muddy water.

Or did you mean that you have a cistern filled with 2/7 water? Then again, that wouldn't be very useful, since even if you could draw water with a bucket you'd end up with one 1/7 tile knocking about.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8361 on: February 25, 2014, 06:42:27 pm »

Just dig out the rock +1z above the FB, but don't channel it. Then go to +2z and do the cavein preparations there. No freakout that way while you construct the supports, and the cavein will puncture through +1z all right. Unless I'm missing something, it should work.

Hm, you're right.  I can't get it close enough to the FB to actually affect him without killing him, but I CAN Cave-in through a solid floor...

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8362 on: February 25, 2014, 08:02:37 pm »

yeah. 2/7 water. a well only drains water by 1/7 when it has been used 10 times. but now i can't even use it. once spring comes, the ice will melt into 7/7 water which will fully fill my cisern, but that's in spring.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8363 on: February 25, 2014, 08:20:35 pm »

You could dig out a smaller but deeper cistern and move the water into that, either by pump or by gravity. You'll lose half of it, but the half that's left will be useable.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Chaos17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8364 on: February 27, 2014, 06:18:53 pm »

I spent the night to be trying to build a public bath, to connect the plumbing with a lever took the lead (was a headache) well to me. Finally, I managed to feed my ponds with water and I do not understand the result... My ponds do have 7/7 water tiles...

Why the water does not rise above?!
http://puu.sh/7cSTJ.png

:'(
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:21:51 pm by Chaos17 »

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8365 on: February 27, 2014, 07:26:36 pm »

I'm looking thru legends at a virgin world I made, 1050 years of history.

In 215, a dwarf civ attacked a goblin civ. The attackers had 2,283 dwarves, 200 humans, 5 elk birds and 5 cave crocodiles. The defenders had 12 goblins and 2 trolls. Dwarven casualties? 2,192. Goblin casualties? 12...

"Defender was victorious."

...HOW??

Edit: The first THREE battles were all like this. Thousands of troops in the dwarf/human army, killed and defeated by about a dozen goblins and a troll or two, with a couple survivors, and the defenders win and inflict massive casualties. It wasn't until the fourth battle that over 2,500 attackers killed all 19 defenders, while taking almost 2,300 casualties. There were no defenders after this, and the dwarves installed a new government.

Edit 2: I've never looked this deeply into legends before, so maybe all battles go like this? Nope, another war against the same goblin civ hundreds of years later shows thousands of attackers defeating a handful of defenders with no, or very few, losses. Man, those dwarves SUCKED!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:34:58 pm by Echostatic »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8366 on: February 27, 2014, 09:13:04 pm »

In 215, a dwarf civ attacked a goblin civ. The attackers had 2,283 dwarves, 200 humans, 5 elk birds and 5 cave crocodiles. The defenders had 12 goblins and 2 trolls. Dwarven casualties? 2,192. Goblin casualties? 12...

...HOW??

Edit: The first THREE battles were all like this. Thousands of troops in the dwarf/human army, killed and defeated by about a dozen goblins and a troll or two, with a couple survivors, and the defenders win and inflict massive casualties. It wasn't until the fourth battle that over 2,500 attackers killed all 19 defenders, while taking almost 2,300 casualties. There were no defenders after this, and the dwarves installed a new government.

Edit 2: I've never looked this deeply into legends before, so maybe all battles go like this? Nope, another war against the same goblin civ hundreds of years later shows thousands of attackers defeating a handful of defenders with no, or very few, losses. Man, those dwarves SUCKED!

Did the goblins have a demon?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8367 on: February 27, 2014, 10:41:11 pm »

Go down a level from the screenshot and 'k' over the pond tiles. What you should see is 'muddy ... upward slope', '.../7 water', and 'a ... of mud'.

With ramps, you don't get to see a water level or the ~ sign. You can check this out by looking at a river or murky pool -- although the water goes the way across, you can't see it at the edge. And your ponds are narrow enough to be all edge.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8368 on: February 27, 2014, 11:36:16 pm »

...HOW??

Did the goblins have a demon?

The only defending goblin forces were small numbers of goblins and ogres.

Chaos17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8369 on: February 28, 2014, 03:03:02 am »

Go down a level from the screenshot and 'k' over the pond tiles. What you should see is 'muddy ... upward slope', '.../7 water', and 'a ... of mud'.

With ramps, you don't get to see a water level or the ~ sign. You can check this out by looking at a river or murky pool -- although the water goes the way across, you can't see it at the edge. And your ponds are narrow enough to be all edge.

Thank you for this clarification, I was afraid that my efforts were in vain.  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 729