Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126543 times)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #8445 on: April 03, 2014, 01:39:42 am »

Working on multiple tasks all at once has not gone well for me tonight...

Atom smasher assembled...
Dwarven baths installed...
Prepping caged critters for pitting...
Installing new 'gates' for locking goblinite in, I'm getting rather grumpy at how much ore evaporates before I can mine it...
In short, I'm doing 300 things at once.

And lo, my Count is  throwing a tantrum.  I look over his thoughts... 'Dined in a legendary... had a meeting... Slept on the Grass?  I check to see if he broke his bed again (he IS married and had a kid recently... you know how these things can happen...).  Nope, bed still intact, silly dorfus.
I give him a couple of masterwork statues in his throne-room, and unsuspend (again!) the tasks to hook up levers to my new gates... I'd caught a kea playing games with the mechanic earlier, guess it's still around...
Insert random distractions, followed by a moody dwarf that I start to baby-sit.  During this, I see a message pop up (AGAIN!) about being unable to hook up the bridges...for no access?

What?  That's right outside my front door...
... across the dwarven bath...
...which is (still) being filled by bucket...
...to 6/7.
*facepalm 1* - overfilling the bath, blocking my only entrance.  Locking my many dwarves out, including my Count (thus his being grumpy).
I order a channel cut to let the bath drain and return to babysitting McMoody...
Not 5 seconds later: An ambush! Curse them!
*facepalm 2* lock my military inside, my squshy nobels, woodcutters, etc outside (say what you will about nobles, Count has done good work for me in not making a single mandate), and face an ambush before it's resolved.  All for the sake of cleanliness.
The situation resolves smoothly giving me time to spot that my dwarves stripping the gear off the prisoners are not dropping it at the adjacent dump, but hauling it across the map to drop it on my atom smasher.  I correct this for the present loot at the smasher by unforbidding the bits I want kept, and I finish babysitting the moody dwarf, only to have pop up a message: Urist McYouth, Dwarven Child, has been found dead.
I pause and jump to the corpse.  It's at the atom smasher.  No visible blood splatter, evidently no witnesses despite dozens of dwarves in the area...  Did my dwarves strip it off a goblin snatcher and not notice what it was until dumping it?
Seconds later:
Urist McTannedHide has been killed by a flying object.
Eh?  (perhaps you see my error?)
I pop over to his corpse.  In the same spot, and now with a trail of red leading out of the room.... Hang on...  For the love of kitten... *facepalm 3*.
To keep my dwarves safe while operating the smasher, I have them drop trash onto it from above...
I'd just marked stuff on the pile as non-trash, and the dwarves are now collecting non-trash items from below while still dumping trash items from above, with predictable results.
//Torrenal

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: April 03, 2014, 09:19:32 am »

Also, there apparently is a way to make even guided minecart routes dangerous. If the dwarf guiding the cart is an off-duty soldier and gets activated while guiding it up some ramps, he will let go of the minecart - which will then immediately roll back into him. Though I'm not entirely sure if it was him guiding it or another squad mate a few z-levels up the route, a compound fracture in the hip and leg seems a bit harsh for a wooden minecart rolling down 1 z-level?
I had something similar happen, though I don't think it had to do with military. I can only assume that the dwarf guiding the minecart got hungry or something and abandoned the cart right on an incline... two dwarves got killed and a baby, two dwarves ended up in the hospital... it probably wouldn't have been as bad if the minecart wasn't full of stone...

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: April 03, 2014, 11:04:14 am »

Today I was sieged by goblins. Normal business.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:07:54 am by Ieb »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: April 03, 2014, 04:56:26 pm »

While running some more finetuning tests for minecart collision behaviour, i spied a pair of badgers in the middle of the fort. Yes, they tried to take a shortcut through the heart of the fort, disturbing everybody and disturbed by everybody. I rallied the two milita squads and told them to kill all badgers (all six of them, _all_ of which were fucking around in various corners). The soldiers did their duty, and then _two of them decided to take a break in a perpetual-motion minecart pit_. Needless to say, neither survived. I ordered their sorry cadavers thrown into the volcano, lest their stupidity might be infectuous. It's bad enough that they'll force me to superdwarf my fort for eleven months - one was a mother with a one-week old baby.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:33:25 pm by Larix »

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: April 04, 2014, 08:55:29 am »

I offered wagon wood to the elves; they excepted it.  >:(

Wagons are creatures, after all. You offered the elves its bones.

I once lost a fort because I didn't notice none of the dwarves were drinking (freezing biome, all the alcohol had frozen).

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8450 on: April 04, 2014, 01:08:31 pm »

I had an amazing start up to my fort, there was plenty of drink and food and all my dwarves were happy. I decided that my sole miner, god bless his poor soul, should start the forts mining operation. After a month of him digging out some new quarries I noticed that he was starving, thirsty, and wouldn't do his work. Upon looking further I noticed that the stairs were built improperly. That fort died of a sever case of Diggor mortis
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

The Bastard of France

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8451 on: April 05, 2014, 07:56:26 am »

48 undead have besieged my fort
Luckily there are no necromancers
Unluckily i haven't set up my ballista battery yet so all that stands between the undead and my tasty dwarves are 20 untrained militia with some picks and crossbows
I'm probably going to die

edit*
Just fought off the siege
Had to send out all 20 of my militia or miss the caravan that year (obviously i still missed it)
All 48 undead were killed and i lost 12
One of my dwarves Dodok Udariden killed the most undead (12) without any armour other the the cloth he wore and a copper dagger as a weapon. He also had a broken skull but still fought on
This dwarf is definitely getting a decent tomb when he eventually dies
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 08:50:54 am by The Bastard of France »
You know humanity is progressing when we learn new ways to kill each other.

"When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity."
JFK
(This quote is so related to DF in ways both good and bad)

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: April 06, 2014, 04:52:23 pm »

Dug out some rooms for beds and then designated them to be smoothed mined. Shouldn't have forgotten to press "s".
Taste my Paci-Fist

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: April 07, 2014, 01:58:05 am »

Successfully domesticated giant wrens. Good eatin' on one of them. Once I had a clutch of fully domesticated hatchlings, I butchered the earlier generations so they wouldn't breed any more untamed birds.

'Siegfried' Äsberdan, Animal Trainer, is throwing a tantrum!

catastrophy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8454 on: April 07, 2014, 03:09:36 am »

Walled off the only staircase to stockpiles and upper levels.
Came to forum to ask why nothing was working.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: April 07, 2014, 05:58:33 pm »

Successfully domesticated giant wrens. Good eatin' on one of them. Once I had a clutch of fully domesticated hatchlings, I butchered the earlier generations so they wouldn't breed any more untamed birds.

'Siegfried' Äsberdan, Animal Trainer, is throwing a tantrum!

Heh. But wtf, they grow to (slightly over) grizzly-size in one year?!

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8456 on: April 09, 2014, 01:37:39 am »

I tend to do something similar; Dig a staircase down, using up/down stairs, until I find the first cavern layer. Then I floor over the bottom of the stairwell until I find a safe place/way to breach the cavern. Trouble is that building the floor on an up/down stair also removes the up stair, and then I'm left wondering why the mason is sitting down there with "no job" while there's a ton of work for him to do.

thehman03

• Bay Watcher
  • Some cats just wanna watch the world lag.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8457 on: April 09, 2014, 06:14:58 pm »

My most recent " successful" fortress had about a month and a half freeze per year, so i neglected to build walls around my river until i noticed most traders just up and swimming through it. I designated some walls to complete the entire wall in early summer, hoping to get the last few bits done in winter for the short freeze. The dwarves neglected to build said walls until the last week-ish of the freeze, at which point all of my carpenters decide "hey lets go have fun skating on the melting ice" not a single tile of wall was created that winter, all of my carpenters drowned as they were washed downstream, the stream was contaminated due to an arm being blown off and the deaths caused a tantrum spiral to rage through my fort until I pulled the doomsday switch. I was doing so well too, but as they say...

LOSING IS FUN

especially when you drown all of your dwarves in your gladiator pit

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: April 09, 2014, 07:33:45 pm »

I set my dwarves to engraving. There were a bunch of images of rope reeds and mittens, symbols of authority, but one dwarf engraved something different.

A hedgehog man.

Out of anything, a hedgehog man. Sonic the Hedgehog came irreversibly to mind. I must now mod in video games as toys.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

catastrophy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8459 on: April 10, 2014, 06:20:23 am »

I tend to do something similar; Dig a staircase down, using up/down stairs, until I find the first cavern layer. Then I floor over the bottom of the stairwell until I find a safe place/way to breach the cavern. Trouble is that building the floor on an up/down stair also removes the up stair, and then I'm left wondering why the mason is sitting down there with "no job" while there's a ton of work for him to do.

Yea, I always get confused whether the Up/down stairs have a floor or not and take care to redesign a cave breach, but this time I floored off a staircase just 3 levels below ground.
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 729