Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130859 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #225 on: June 02, 2009, 05:08:21 pm »

Ya, I have an airlock (3 drawbridges, outer, middle, inner) but with the few dwarves I had, getting one to pull the level is a pain. The problem was I would order the outer and inner birdges shut at the same time. However, a dwarf would eventually come open the inner one, but then due to the scarcity of 'no job' dwarfs to pull the other lever, the outer would remain open.
But yay! A dwarven trade caravan (the only ones I let in now) came. Almost immediately after it left, a wave of migrants came! Now my fort is back up to 11 dwarves! This is very good since it means they are getting over the fact that my fort is a 'cursed death-trap.' It took 3 years for migrants to come... lol.
The kobolds steal all sorts of crap from me, since I had a bunch of dead orcs and dwarves strewn about, with many iron/steel items laying around outside as well (probably from the human caravan that got slaughtered). I am suprised the kobolds don't go retire in the bahamas with the value of all the stuff they stole.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 05:10:21 pm by alway »

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 05, 2009, 03:22:08 am »

I build a drowning chamber.  It was my very first one, so i put lots of polish on it. 

I also built the pressure plates directly in the middle of the chamber itself.

I also realized that the dwarves should be able ot see the goblins from around the "L" bend, so i decided that the wall for the L bend should be made of glass.  That way, any dwarf coming around the corner could see the incoming goblins, and flee.  However, when i caught my first goblins, the i finally realized that with the levers located a few spaces from the windows, dwarves were afraid to hit the level to drown them. or open the flood gates.  It took nearly 3 minutes for someone to run toward the lever and drown them. 

Then i noticed the gates dissapearring.  Turns out the goblins were running back and forth over the pressure plates as the water came in, opening the doors.  They would run BACK INTO the fortress hitting the pressure plates, closing them in.  They eventually drowned, but i had to move the pressure plates, and the levers. 

another Facepalm: I embarked a miner with back up skills in woodcutting.  ITs not an issue until you figure out that a miner is unable to use woodcutting, since he can have ONLY a pick or an axe.

Blaarg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 05, 2009, 11:17:46 am »

I had an outdoor furniture stockpile right next to an exterior carpenter shop.  I put a meeting site set on top of it so that my war dogs would protect it from theft.  Along comes a zombie fire imp.  Ah, fire imps are wimps, I'll just leave it to the war dogs.  I look elsewhere for a little while and come back when I get a message about one of my dogs dying.  Oh look, a flash fire has started right beside my wooden furniture stockpile...  And I had cut down all the trees on the map, so there won't be any wood left afterwards either...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #228 on: June 05, 2009, 09:32:26 pm »

Lazy as I am, I'll just copy the quote. Here's a little something I overlooked. And as a designer, I'm annoyed at myself for this.

The moment in question...

You could also remove cave-ins from the init file.
Let me add that to the facepalm moments please...

Aw screw it, :facedesk:, I had some interesting ideas to use that required no cave-ins to look/work properly. I didn't know you could do that. :starts recollecting past ideas:

I'm going to make a mostly self-sufficient airship to get to anyone's floating island now if you don't mind. :rubs head in pain while trotting off:

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 05, 2009, 10:00:39 pm »

I wanted an area for water to flow through to a well. I dug out the channel. It was then I realized I had flooded my fort.

Kwilco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 05, 2009, 10:53:20 pm »

Deciding to make a waterfall into my fort (for the lovely mist). My drainage chamber underneath didn't go anywhere, so it slowly filled up. Then my fort drowned.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 06, 2009, 06:14:19 pm »

When, in my forest retreat, I realized I brought two anvils, so didn't need to wait for one.

When, in my forest retreat, I realized there was enough steel on the caravan to get a steel bat.

When, in late summer in my forest retreat, I realized I already had enough steel to do it with the greaves and menacing spike I got.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 06, 2009, 06:22:23 pm »

on my cold fortress that I just started, there was a magma pipe that reached the surface. I decided to dig my fortress into the mountain directly behind the pipe. As my miner was digging and everyone else was going about their jobs, out pops a fire imp. This dastardly fire imp shot a fire ball which landed about 600 yards away. The chain reaction was that it started a fire in the grass. I instantly recruited all of my 7 dwarves and they wrestled him to the ground. As soon as they were done and I deactivated them, out pop the other 6 fire imps. They start shooting fireballs left and right starting more fires. I lose 3 dwarves in the fire and 1 fighting the imps. I also lost all of the animals that came with me. So, before I even dug my stairs down into the earth, I had lost 4 out of 7 dwarves, 10 animals, and burned up half of the map.

EDIT: I also learned that trees don't burn in wild fires ;D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:23:56 pm by Samus1111111 »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 07, 2009, 02:24:46 am »

When, in my forest retreat, I realized I brought two anvils, so didn't need to wait for one.

When, in my forest retreat, I realized there was enough steel on the caravan to get a steel bat.

When, in late summer in my forest retreat, I realized I already had enough steel to do it with the greaves and menacing spike I got.
A what?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 07, 2009, 02:44:52 am »

Pretty much every time I try and collapse a section of cavern on purpose I screw something up and somebody ends up dead or a slobbering mess (nerve damage).
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 07, 2009, 03:16:48 am »

New one. I just read that when designating mining areas using the mouse, apparently right clicking will function the same as hitting enter. So you can select an entire rectangle of arbitrary area in two clicks.

I had completely given up on using the mouse because I thought you could only designate tiles one at a time!

Holy Carp on Fire in Magma, Wow.

Time spend designating -70%

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 07, 2009, 03:41:30 am »

I still haven't actually tested it myself, but followup posts seem to suggest that the right click only re-positions your cursor.

Right-click followed by enter will do what you want, though.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 07, 2009, 04:38:32 am »

Woah, 2 anvils?  You're dwarves skills can't have been great...

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 07, 2009, 10:06:25 am »

Anvils are great for selling to caravans.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 07, 2009, 10:13:31 am »

Nah, too heavy, and they're only worth 1k each (3k for steel.)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 729