Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130964 times)

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9225 on: April 02, 2015, 01:21:34 pm »

i suddenly had a problem where the entire metal industry shut down. no melting, no strand extraction, no smithing. I spent a good hour trying to figure out the problem, it turns out I accidentally destroyed the ramps leading down to half the fort.
thats what just happened to me,exept it was just half my fortress( and all of my miners) stuck in my soon to be underground aviary.I ignored the cancellation spam because I thought it was just the two miners stuck in the caverns.(it was why they were stuck,because they couldn't path to food)
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9226 on: April 04, 2015, 05:04:38 pm »

Vengeful dwarves are insane. The pinacle of insane.

Embark in a zombie biome. Two peasants catch site of a Giant Zombie Grasshopper (aka murder incarnate), and decide they fancy their odds in a fist fight. The miner gets the same idea. Said grasshopper is actually leaving them alone, because...

...it's on the other side of a freakin' river. So the dorfs proceed to dive into the river to get to the zombie. One drowns in the river. The other two provide a quick snack for the (giant) zombie.

All together now... /facepalm. Three needless deaths.

Amazingly, the two military dorfs totally ignored the thing. You know, the chaps with armour and weapons.

Just curious, can dwarves swim in armor?
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9227 on: April 05, 2015, 01:41:03 pm »

It's year 2 of the fortress, and I'm at 48 dwarves. I've got 8 recruits in the military, and steel armor is just starting to come off the production line. So aside from the fact that I can lock myself down, I'm not really prepared for the necromancer siege that shows up.

Still, I'm in pretty good shape. The fort is airtight, I've got all kinds of metal, and my cage traps already picked off two stealth necromancers that are going to be really useful later. So it seems to me that it makes sense to sit there and build enough cage traps to pen the entire siege, about 50 zombies, so I'll have some toys to play with once I get my necro arena up.

So I carve out a long L-shaped tunnel, put drawbridges at both ends, and build a huge load of cages. When it's ready, I station my fledgling military two z-levels down and way at the north end of the map, and dig a ramp to the surface way at the south end. The miner successfully opens the passage up and heads back toward safety, and the legions of the dead start shambling in.

And here comes the goddamn cavalry. One by one, the recruits charge down the corridor, despite their station orders, despite the fact that they have no earthly way of knowing the undead are there. They don't stand a chance.

Turns out I left an armor stand out front of the main entrance and they were allowed to train there. I guess despite the Station order, they just decided they were going to get to that kicking demonstration by any means necessary.

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Hawaiian Shirts are amazing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9228 on: April 06, 2015, 09:55:07 pm »

I modded humans to be playable and pretty much equal to the Dwarves (Its something I like to have because it makes me feel like I am working on two sides of a story at once, one side is Human, one side is Dwarven.
Its funny to see how it always comes down to how the elves must die.

So I sent them to a 1x1 space.
Everything was going well until the trader wouldn't give me a damn pickaxe.
In anger, I tried punching them in the face with Macho Man (Squad) Randy Savage (Nickname).

And just like that, I lost the fort.
And I was like, eh.
So I started up next to a mountain as Human again.
Flaming Baby Catapult

Dug

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dwarf Fortress Newb
    • View Profile
« Reply #9229 on: April 09, 2015, 12:41:51 pm »

I started a new fort after not playing for a while. I used a drawbridge as the gate to my fort so when it retracts it forms a wall. Unfortunately that didn't quite work as planned as when I ordered the lever to be pulled it vanished into thin air. At the same time there was a gigantic were-something attacking my fort.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9230 on: April 10, 2015, 11:18:04 am »

I tried to get rid of some side of a hill to expand my flat surfaced terrain (where my fortress is).

The method I used to get rid of the hill was awkward after knowing it didn't work: I dug under it, thinking the hill would collapse after channelling a line in each Z-layer and disconnecting part of the unwanted hill from the main terrain, but after digging, the hill somehow floated in the air (I think?). I'll have to check my game again, but it could be that I missed something.

Now I'm trying to dig/channel the remnants of the floating mini side of the hill, but every time I do so, the miner attempting to do the job collapses with part of the hill with still more floating island remains. I should have dug from top to bottom rather than the other way around, that's for sure.
My post ends here.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9231 on: April 10, 2015, 03:19:37 pm »

Lots of dwarves are found drowned in underground lake. I wonder what happened. Did they dodge there?

Lots of them are military.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9232 on: April 10, 2015, 05:54:53 pm »

Lots of dwarves are found drowned in underground lake. I wonder what happened. Did they dodge there?

Lots of them are military.
Probably tripping on 'shrooms. They decide to hang onto them until they lose their grip, then they fall into the water, get stunned, and drown. Seen it happen to cave animals and surface dwarves. Trees: Still deadly even when not falling.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 05:57:03 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9233 on: April 11, 2015, 01:38:15 am »

I've just got a migrant who is a pikemaster. So naturally, he armed himself with a sword.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9234 on: April 11, 2015, 03:34:32 am »

I started a new fort after not playing for a while. I used a drawbridge as the gate to my fort so when it retracts it forms a wall. Unfortunately that didn't quite work as planned as when I ordered the lever to be pulled it vanished into thin air. At the same time there was a gigantic were-something attacking my fort.
You have built retracting bridge instead of raising one. Better to test it before attackers appear.

I tried to get rid of some side of a hill to expand my flat surfaced terrain (where my fortress is).

The method I used to get rid of the hill was awkward after knowing it didn't work: I dug under it, thinking the hill would collapse after channelling a line in each Z-layer and disconnecting part of the unwanted hill from the main terrain, but after digging, the hill somehow floated in the air (I think?). I'll have to check my game again, but it could be that I missed something.

Now I'm trying to dig/channel the remnants of the floating mini side of the hill, but every time I do so, the miner attempting to do the job collapses with part of the hill with still more floating island remains. I should have dug from top to bottom rather than the other way around, that's for sure.
Try checking multilevel trees.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9235 on: April 14, 2015, 12:12:04 am »

Constructed the "golden diving board of joy".
Badically a 4 Z tiles high stair with a bridge ontop. made mostly of gold. Unwanted nobles stand there and then a lever is pulled, letting them fall into a pit that's immediately after that closed with floorgrates. Unfortunately the mayor somehow kept changing flight directions the first 3 tries And he jumped face first into the dirt -.-
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9236 on: April 14, 2015, 01:53:01 am »

So I thought it'd be fun to reinstall DF recently
I got my dorf therapist and dfhack, and genned a world, found a really awesome embark area (sure it's a relatively flat area, but it's still a great area)

Then remembered
I have to re-edit raws to play like I normally do

Oh and reinstall lazy newb pack to get ahold of some of the better mods
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9237 on: April 14, 2015, 03:22:31 pm »

Wrong thread!

*Facepalms*
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:41:01 pm by Dark One »

jaw2233

• Bay Watcher
  • forgetting which switch does what since *BLAM* ow!
    • View Profile
trouser minotoar
« Reply #9238 on: April 14, 2015, 03:24:08 pm »

i have 2 stories, i had just started my new fortress when it said that my wood cutter had gone missing. i went ahead and checked the combat log, he apparently got hit in the neck with a log(featherwood ironically) and blew an artery! later in the end days my fortress was almost a metroplolis when all of the sudden the minotaur that my military had been staring at while he constantly passed out instead of fighting, picked up some trousers and beat everything to death with pantaloons. PANTALOONS! :P
I sincerely apologize for whatever happened above this.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9239 on: April 14, 2015, 05:12:12 pm »

I recently collapsed about a 50x50 square of ceiling on a couple dwarves. The intent was to expand the underground tree farm. I forgot a support.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 614 615 [616] 617 618 ... 729