Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126575 times)

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #270 on: June 23, 2009, 01:28:31 pm »

Turns out the woodcutter couldn't cut the tree not because he was afraid of magma (dwarves aren't afraid of a little fire!) but because the only access to the tree was on a diagonal.

That's pretty /facepalm. All that magma in the grass for nothing!

Ah well. Things are moving along as designed now. I only hope the magma reaches the end of the pipe before the two saplings growing down there mature...
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.
The same guys that think its a good idea to make magmafalls.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 23, 2009, 01:55:21 pm »

Build a road over the magma path. Floor will work too, but roads need fewer tiles.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 23, 2009, 03:23:59 pm »

I had built a grand fortress with beautiful waterfalls to make all my dwarves happy, and a volcano magma defense system in place in case sieges got too nasty.

Ever seen what happens when your waterfalls suddenly turn into magma when the magma flows into where I initially drained in the water? I have.

Humberticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 23, 2009, 03:29:54 pm »

I'm really hoping there's an easier way, but is there a way to select all the items you have to sell in a trade depot in a single shot instead of pushing enter a billion times?

I'm really hoping this turns into a facepalm moment for me. :-\

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 23, 2009, 04:01:22 pm »

Bins. Make wooden bins, put crafts/merchandise in, then during Trade, just select the bin to be traded. It and all it's content is then traded.

Azoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 23, 2009, 05:18:37 pm »

Just went to mark all my puppies for slaughter, and accidently made them all available for adoption. Didn't notice until after I watched my butcher stand motionless in his room for half a minute... gaah.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 23, 2009, 05:29:32 pm »

I had built a grand fortress with beautiful waterfalls to make all my dwarves happy, and a volcano magma defense system in place in case sieges got too nasty.

Ever seen what happens when your waterfalls suddenly turn into magma when the magma flows into where I initially drained in the water? I have.

That's awesome.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 23, 2009, 06:12:25 pm »

Lymojo, what's your avatar (besides, obviously, a Pikachu?)

For me, well...

Giant bat attacks one of my dorfs. I figure, "Can't be too bad, can it?" I draft him.

He dies.

That goddamn bat slaughtered my entire fortress. I took sadistic glee in slaughtering it later when I reclaimed. I think I laughed insanely as it was mobbed by axedorfs.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 23, 2009, 06:34:02 pm »

I finally got around to getting the Orc Mod, and during embark setup, I wanted to make sure that everything was as perfect as possible because I didn't know what to expect.  I got the skills all matched up to preferences and everything.  So I embarked.

And then I found out that I only had one miner, instead of two.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 23, 2009, 07:06:41 pm »

You win the thread.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 24, 2009, 01:23:27 pm »

Lymojo, what's your avatar (besides, obviously, a Pikachu?)

Well on the selectbutton forums it's apparently a really hep thing to redraw different Pokemon, particularly Pikachu, in weird or mundane roles.
I drew him as a sort of surly, pepto-bismol-chugging management type. Like a harried stockbroker or impatient editor-in-chief wagging his pen at a subordinate.
His suit is the one Gordon Gekko is wearing the first time you see him in Wall Street.

I'd ask about yours but it's very clearly a sprite for a Kobold Pimp. Can you post the raws?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 01:25:17 pm by Lymojo »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 24, 2009, 02:12:24 pm »

Bins. Make wooden bins, put crafts/merchandise in, then during Trade, just select the bin to be traded. It and all it's content is then traded.

Still, sometimes you might not want to sell the bins, like for example a wood scarce map or elves.

My current fortress is on the coast and despite the biome having said scarce trees and other plants, however the place is treeless, not even a young saguaro to be seen. The shrubs are more abundant than typical as a result.

If the elven diplomat complains about treecutting when there never were any trees in the first place, I'm going to tear him a new one.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 24, 2009, 02:14:58 pm »

The only way to fix this is to cut down all the shrubs.

Two ways do that.  Dwarves, or magma.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 24, 2009, 04:39:41 pm »

I keep redsignating the shrubs, but I'm still in the summer of the second year and so I don't have enough dwarfpower so to speak to make a dent as more shrubs keep popping up. I have 4 dwarves set up in the farming/proccessing sector, so, it'll take a few more immigration waves to make a big enough dent.

I have a magma source (not set up yet though), so it's not situation critical or anything and I asked the dwarven liason to bring wood the next time (which is soon). Once the humans come in a few years, I'll have a source from them.

Really, the primary need for wood right now is just beds and to a lesser extent, barrels and bins. The barrels and bins I can make out of metal later.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 24, 2009, 04:43:13 pm »

If you really want to get rid of shrubs, start building dirt roads everywhere.

Also, while magma will take out shrubs, fire won't.  That means that you'd have to coat the entire map with magma to clear it of shrubs (which isn't necessarily a bad thing ;) ).
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 729