Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130740 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #285 on: June 24, 2009, 05:01:45 pm »

If you really want to get rid of shrubs, start building dirt roads everywhere.

Also, while magma will take out shrubs, fire won't.  That means that you'd have to coat the entire map with magma to clear it of shrubs (which isn't necessarily a bad thing ;) ).

I'm in a desert anyways.

Edit: I did use reveal early on, but I did a manual crash instead of saving that revealed version. There were actually no trees present from the start, so.....
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 05:13:09 pm by smjjames »

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 24, 2009, 08:33:51 pm »

Bins. Make wooden bins, put crafts/merchandise in, then during Trade, just select the bin to be traded. It and all it's content is then traded.

Still, sometimes you might not want to sell the bins, like for example a wood scarce map or elves.

You don't have to sell the bins just because they were carried to the depot. The trade screen will show all the contents of the bins, which you can trade individually. Precious bins will be kept and restocked into your piles once trading is finished.
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.
The same guys that think its a good idea to make magmafalls.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 24, 2009, 10:08:03 pm »

If you really want to get rid of shrubs, start building dirt roads everywhere.

Also, while magma will take out shrubs, fire won't.  That means that you'd have to coat the entire map with magma to clear it of shrubs (which isn't necessarily a bad thing ;) ).

I'm in a desert anyways.

Edit: I did use reveal early on, but I did a manual crash instead of saving that revealed version. There were actually no trees present from the start, so.....

I'm trying that dirt road method, it took a while for me to designate the entire map and the shrubs just keep coming back soon after. I think this is truly a tree-less map and the tree line must extend pretty far back. I think the scarce wood is counting the driftwood.

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 25, 2009, 10:49:24 am »

Channeling tiles over an aquifer in a freezing biome. I had already channeled into the aquifer, so the water was insta-freezing as I channeled the tiles above it. I decided to go and smoke and found out that both of my miners, who had both of my pickaxes, had decided to miraculously channel some tiles in the wrong order and get sucked down into the water... As it froze.

Of course, there was also the time that I accidentally channeled two tiles without realizing it, leaving a nice gaping hole for a zombie giant bat to come into my fortress, kill six dwarves, and wound the last remaining dwarf... Did I mention that it systematically hunted down all my dogs, cats, and horses too? And did I also mention the asshole bat LIVED, killed six adventurers in a row, and had five weapons stuck in it by the end of the entire ordeal?
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 25, 2009, 10:53:32 am »

I'm trying that dirt road method, it took a while for me to designate the entire map and the shrubs just keep coming back soon after. I think this is truly a tree-less map and the tree line must extend pretty far back. I think the scarce wood is counting the driftwood.

Yeah, the shrubs will keep coming back, but they'll also keep coming back if you harvest them all.  Clearing the map of shrubs (regardless of method) is mostly just a way to keep shrubs from gradually choking out the trees by taking up more and more tiles.

It sounds like your area is indeed either treeless or else might as well be.  Better get ready to do a lot of buying from traders :-\
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 25, 2009, 01:32:09 pm »

I was already planning on doing alot of buying from traders. I got the humans the first time and in fact, they had a whole load of wood. I guess word got around that wood is in demand here. The abundance of shrubs actually provides a great source of food and so it's easy to stockpile alot of them.

Anyways, I messed up the savescum and couldn't get back to pre-abandoned fortress. I started a new one and then last night I realized I could have just done a reclaim, which I'll probably do now.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:34:42 pm by smjjames »

Nerdgasmic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 25, 2009, 03:47:52 pm »

Ugh. I started a new fortress today.

I was stupid and forgot to channel a grated pool from the river, so both of my miners were slaughtered by carp. I had to restart.

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 25, 2009, 06:20:27 pm »

I normally place the meeting area for my dwarfs outside so that they don't get cave adaptation.  Yet, I still want to provide them a sheltered area so I will also build a roof over their little heads so I prevent 'caught in the rain' bad thoughts.

However, the access to the newly constructed roof was an up stair constructed upon a naturally dug down stair.  That wasn't desirable because the downstairs couldn't be used anymore.  So, I removed the constructed up stairwell so that I could replace it with an up/down stairwell.

....well, it turns out that up stair was the only thing holding up the entire roof over the meeting area.  So, it collapsed.  Also, the meeting area was over the living quarters and dinning hall.... so anyone who was  on break, eating or sleeping was instantly killed.  Worse, all the beds were destroyed, which prevented anyone who did survive from being nursed back to health. 

In all total, over 25 dwarfs died by this one mistake, including a legendary glass maker and the dwarfed named for me as I was playing a Bloodline game.  Woops.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 25, 2009, 08:15:55 pm »

Well, I was going to complain about building a pump tower and 4-square long aqueduct for nothing (at least not without pulling up a couple of hundred tiles of floor above a dug-around magma pipe), but it seems slightly insignificant now.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 25, 2009, 08:38:43 pm »

Lymojo, what's your avatar (besides, obviously, a Pikachu?)

I'd ask about yours but it's very clearly a sprite for a Kobold Pimp. Can you post the raws?

It's actually supposed to be a replacement for the current Kobold Noble, which looks like a dude in a dress; rather amusingly silly, and not at all impressive as any noble should be. As such (and partially due to a few amusing engravings in my last Kobold Camp suggesting that my kobolds' leader had gotten to that point by sleeping around before being thrown out once discovered) I made the Kobold Pimp sprite from the Swordmaster-even if, admittedly, the only things remaining are the hat and cape.

The staff is supposed to have a gem on top, but it didn't work out as planned-and regrettably, Shorer, Groger, and all my other important kobolds, plus my favorite Spearchampion, were KILL BY GOBLINS. What a shame.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 02, 2009, 03:32:18 pm »

ach my worst moment was realising i could save ballista arrows by channeling in front of the wall so it falls down and i lost 7 dwarves and 9 pets when they decided to go cleanup the mess and get pinned against the walls. the other time was when i made a water resivoir and channeled the wrong tile BEFORE the door was in place. god i hated carp when the fort got flooded  >:(
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 02, 2009, 03:46:31 pm »

Realizing I could dig upwards through ramps.

Getting acquainted with collapsing floors by mining out a few tiles of island in a murky pool, then watching them plummet through several floors of my fortress, killing the miner and using perfect precision to land on a craftsdwarf, killing him as well.

Discovering that I have to add the Captain of the Guard to the Fortress Guard.

Figuring out how to use the military.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 02, 2009, 03:51:06 pm »

Getting acquainted with collapsing floors by mining out a few tiles of island in a murky pool, then watching them plummet through several floors of my fortress, killing the miner and using perfect precision to land on a craftsdwarf, killing him as well.

worst monent i had with cave ins was when i accidentally removed the one piece of wall that had the kingpin support suspending the fort over a volcano. i have never seen such a long list of " " has died in the heat.
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 02, 2009, 03:52:46 pm »

worst monent i had with cave ins was when i accidentally removed the one piece of wall that had the kingpin support suspending the fort over a volcano. i have never seen such a long list of " " has died in the heat.
You dropped the fort into the volcano?

...Awesome.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 02, 2009, 03:59:08 pm »

Discovering that I have to add the Captain of the Guard to the Fortress Guard.

Wut ._.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 729