Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130960 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #9885 on: September 24, 2016, 11:57:47 am »

Forgot to remove fireimmune from a caste of my custom fortress race.  Prompting one of the traders to attempt to ford his donkey through the magma moat.

It went about as well as could be expected.
Whooooops.
I think the best part is that the caste is no longer temperature immune either. They only have some minor heat resistance.  Enough to survive a wildfire but nowhere near lava bath levels.  So it's not like the trader himself lived either.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9886 on: September 24, 2016, 06:19:28 pm »

After reading the wiki for the hundredth time I finally got it.  There are no down ramps in this game.  There are only empty spaces with up ramps below them.  I'm thinking of editing my font so that the down arrow is a very small up arrow to remind me.

Relatedly 'd->z' removes the ramps/slopes.  You have no idea the gyrations (and inadvertent cave ins) that I've gone through trying to remove slopes...

The way it finally clicked for me was I wanted to colour my "down ramps" yellow (so they are more visible).  I already had slopes there and I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure out how to replace them with orthoclase ramps.  There are quite a lot of tutorials for DF around, but I wonder if having a list of small tasks like this would be helpful for newbies.  Possibly it already exists...

Edit: I changed my font and indeed it is much more understandable to me.  I made a half sized up arrow, but because it was a bit difficult to notice slopes on the edge of hills, I added an underline as well.  It works really well, especially for slopes around water which never looked to me like they were down one Z level.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 08:24:51 pm by mikekchar »

Beesarewatchingyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9887 on: October 01, 2016, 08:59:40 am »

My dwarves just hauled literally every single item (including every piece of ice that happened to be lying around) in the fortress to the trade depot, and there was nothing I could do to stop them. I disabled all hauling on everybody, I manually went through every item in the fortress and unmarked it for trading, everything, and they still continued moving everything to the depot. I couldn't get them to destroy the depot because they were too busy hauling things to the depot, and that seems to take priority over almost every other job.

The traders finally left and now I have to make them haul everything back to the stockpiles. What an absolute pain, I can't believe this happened. A bunch of mandates got missed, no bedrooms got built for the new migrants and now everyone is on the brink of rioting. The worst thing is I have no idea why it happened at all.

I'm just glad I managed to get someone to close the drawbridge, otherwise a thralling dust cloud would have floated right into the depot where everyone was messing around.

Urist the CaveBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9888 on: October 01, 2016, 03:57:17 pm »

Recently I crushed Queen As Vigormirrored under the drawbridge.  I didn't even realized what I'd done until I got the "so-and-so is missing" notification a week later.

Urist the CaveBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9889 on: October 01, 2016, 03:58:08 pm »

My dwarves just hauled literally every single item (including every piece of ice that happened to be lying around) in the fortress to the trade depot, and there was nothing I could do to stop them. I disabled all hauling on everybody, I manually went through every item in the fortress and unmarked it for trading, everything, and they still continued moving everything to the depot. I couldn't get them to destroy the depot because they were too busy hauling things to the depot, and that seems to take priority over almost every other job.

The traders finally left and now I have to make them haul everything back to the stockpiles. What an absolute pain, I can't believe this happened. A bunch of mandates got missed, no bedrooms got built for the new migrants and now everyone is on the brink of rioting. The worst thing is I have no idea why it happened at all.

I'm just glad I managed to get someone to close the drawbridge, otherwise a thralling dust cloud would have floated right into the depot where everyone was messing around.

Did you try deconstructing the Trade Depot?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9890 on: October 01, 2016, 04:22:39 pm »

Beesarewatchingyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9891 on: October 01, 2016, 07:17:00 pm »

Yeah, I tried. The hauling seemed to take priority over destroying the depot, so they wouldn't do it. The only things they seemed willing to do other than hauling were flip levers, eat and drink. Very weird incident. I'm just glad it happened sooner rather than later in the fortress's life, at least my legendary mason didn't get hammered for missing a quern mandate or something.

All I can say is it was probably my fault somehow. I haven't had a caravan since then, so for all I know it could happen again next time.

Urist the CaveBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9892 on: October 02, 2016, 06:17:24 am »

If there's one thing about running a Dwarf Fortress, it's that when things go to FUN!, it's usually your fault somehow.

Also, my bad somehow, I missed the sentence where you specifically answered my question in your post, oops.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:18:55 am by Urist the CaveBear »

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9893 on: October 02, 2016, 12:15:23 pm »

I had two suspected infected after a wereskink attack, so I put them in a side room. Only one turned out to be infected, and is currently devouring the other dwarf.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9894 on: October 02, 2016, 08:35:35 pm »

I had two suspected infected after a wereskink attack, so I put them in a side room. Only one turned out to be infected, and is currently devouring the other dwarf.

Easiest way to deal with this is to put the suspected werebeasts in the military and station them on the corners of the map, out of sight of the others.  You can do this 1-2 days before the full moon (but just keep an eye on them to see if they do something stupid like go to get a drink).    If they can't see anything to attack, they will just stand there.

Now that you have a werebeast, if you want to keep them alive, you just need to remember to station them somewhere secluded every month (warning: the full moon shifts by 2 days every month!).  I built a small hut (without a door!) for mine so he didn't get rained on.  You should also give them a flask/waterskin so that they always have a drink, which will reduce the occurrences of them wandering off to get a drink right at the full moon.  Also, if you get seiged, werebeast is out the door, obviously since you can't reasonably open up all the gates at full moon.

Basically, as long a nobody sees the transformed dwarf, you will be a-OK.  If you make a mistake, and a dwarf starts attacking/being attacked, do *not* attempt to save them.  Burrow your guys out of sight.  If anyone witnesses the attack, it can cause a loyalty cascade which can take out half your fortress.

I notice many people being frustrated with werebeasts, but while fiddly, they are not that hard to manage.

Yerland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9895 on: October 05, 2016, 02:28:55 pm »

Were beast infected dwarfs are too much fun for me, I arrange for unfortunate accidents for any infected. It's somewhat cruel but better than a mistake leading to a loyalty Cascade.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9896 on: October 05, 2016, 09:50:08 pm »

I haven't ever done anything with werebeasts, but they did lead to the fastest fortress death in any fort I've played. 150 to 30 dwarves in a handful of ticks, and down to 8 by the end of the full moon. Five werebeasts transformed in the crowded hallway while the whole fort hauled crafts to the depot.

Beesarewatchingyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9897 on: October 05, 2016, 11:22:50 pm »

As I've mentioned elsewhere , I got my legendary axelord killed by a duckling. At the time I didn't understand that dwarves could do labours they've got no skill in, so he never got diagnosed (no diagnosers) and died from an infected cut. The worst part is, the duckling survived.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9898 on: October 06, 2016, 11:33:58 am »

Something something even the mightiest can be felled by something something.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9899 on: October 08, 2016, 01:43:58 am »

The beak is mightier than the axe?
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 729