Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130950 times)

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #420 on: September 30, 2009, 07:33:02 am »

Seeing a really cool fortress once, with a magma moat from the edge of the map all the way around, with one section left free so all sieges and bad guys turn up there and thinking,'I have to do that'.

So set about a nice spot with a magma pipe and work on the deep pumping system to draw it up, two pumps to each level, masses of wooden axles to work the lot. Then i turn it on and grin, all the pumps start up.

A second or two later, where is the magma? its not coming out the top? check the magma pipe, its going down, so where is it going?.

Turns out I had placed one pump the wrong way around, the magma had leaked back half way up, melting mechanisms and burning up a tone of axles...on a low wood map and all

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 30, 2009, 08:53:20 am »

This has probably happened to everyone at least once, but as i was digging down to make my multistory entrance hall,
both miners at the exact same time, stood on the supports and dug out around themselves. :(

Actually thats fairly easy to fix, just have the miners dig out the rock under them (I assume you are channeling) and on the lower level, order them to convert one of the soon to be channeled out walls as a ramp, and voila miners are back with the general populace.

Face palm moment of mine.

I spend hours meticulously designing a pump system for my constructed volcano. Everything is perfectly in place so I throw the switch to see how it works, and the pumps dont work. Why? Because the power access to the bottom pumps was blocked by a floor. I remove the floor, and the pumps collapse... So I had to spend even more time (albeit not as long as the first time around), redesigning my power structure to work the pumps.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #422 on: September 30, 2009, 09:44:49 am »

There's a nifty trick for preventing that - build a supported axle or gear assembly next to one of the higher-up pumps and none of them will collapse.

Of course, I discovered this one the hard way, though thankfully it only resulted in a few tiles of mud (a 4-tall pump stack for a waterfall room).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 30, 2009, 11:51:01 am »

yeah I did that one one of them and it worked, buttt...

when I dug out the floor where the power was supposed to transfer, the stacks stayed up, so I thought to myself, "huh... guess it works." couple of minutes later the stack collapsed, the one stack I attached the gear to to keep it up, I said screw it and let it collapse as I was gonna have to redo the entire thing to begin with.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #424 on: September 30, 2009, 01:45:28 pm »

My latest- finally learning that you can "stack" repeated orders in workshops.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 30, 2009, 03:29:40 pm »

My latest: Learning that you can  not just use / and * but also 9 and 3 to scroll faster through several menus. Previously I was scrolling through long lists of units and through the trading screen one line at a time!

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 30, 2009, 09:32:24 pm »

The humans have been besieging my fortress for so long that their horse mounts have given birth. I now have hostile horse foals running around outside.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 30, 2009, 11:21:36 pm »

Oh god, I never thought I'd be able to laugh again before that

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 01, 2009, 12:40:58 am »

v.

Really.  For a long time, every time I wanted to check a unit's wounds/jobs/status, I hit k, found the dwarf in question, read the name, hit u, searched my LONG list of units for that name, hit c.  I didn't catch on that there was an easier way until I watched a couple of DF movies and went "Wait a second... how did they get to that directly from the main menu?!"

Other than that, I almost drowned all of my dwarves hanging out at the meeting zone/well in the main entrance of my fortress with an artificial waterfall accident.  For my first attempt, I followed the Wiki's directions for building a pump tower and made the mistake of trusting this line:

Even without walls surrounding the pumps, water still gets up with only minor leakage.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.  Or at least, what it seems to suggest is wrong.  I didn't completely wall in the pumps thinking everything would be cool, but I ended up creating a tower of misty death spewing water in every direction at an alarming rate.  One of my hunters was immediately swept away into the makeshift river.  Fortunately, I had thought to tie my gear assembly to a lever, so I was able to kill it and save my fortress.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 12:49:20 am by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

azaydius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 01, 2009, 03:17:53 am »

So I had this dragon get captured in a cage.  I thought, "Sweet! I'll have my Dungeon Master tame him and it will be the most badass pet ever!"  After he had been tamed and was set loose to guard my fortress he found a Kobold thief sneaking about in my main hallway.  The dragon was more than willing to help with this matter.

Unfortunately, dragons happen to breathe fire.  Fire happens to not care what it hits and the giant cone of fire death breath my dragon put forth to kill this kobold did its job admirably.  The kobold died a horrible death... along with about ten dwarves who were in the path of the blast.  Additionally the blast set fire to EVERYTHING flammable, which was the majority of all my food, items, drinks and shops.  The ensuing blaze and smoke from it effectively rendered that level of my fortress uninhabitable.  To top it off, the pathways to the rest of my fort were through this inferno of death.  Dwarves don't seem to know that smoke and fire are bad for them so very quickly pretty much every dwarf in my fort was dead or dying.  Lots of FUN, but also FML.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 03:23:33 am by azaydius »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 01, 2009, 04:23:23 am »

I made a ridiculously complicated ice fortress on a glacier. Engravings everywhere, giant architectural marvels and crazy aquifer management schemes. It was all designed from the get-go as a fort to be visited in adventure mode.

...where it promptly melted.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 01, 2009, 06:28:07 am »

Spending literally 6 hours making a 29z level pumping system and aqueduct system to move water across a 6 by 6 map only to discover an underground river right BELOW my moat

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 01, 2009, 08:21:07 am »

Oh god, I never thought I'd be able to laugh again before that

Urist McMiner has died of thirst!
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 01, 2009, 09:19:37 am »

WRONG WRONG WRONG.  Or at least, what it seems to suggest is wrong.  I didn't completely wall in the pumps thinking everything would be cool, but I ended up creating a tower of misty death spewing water in every direction at an alarming rate.

Tower of misty death?  SWEEET!  That will go perfectly with my new fort.  I must build one.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 01, 2009, 09:29:08 am »

...my first time fooling around with moving water to higher z-levels. I built a windmill on top of a pump by a brook, I came back a minute later to see a few of my carpenter dwarfs holding on for dear life while the ones standing at the higher z level were yelling over the torrent of water, "turn it off! turn it back off!".
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 729