Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2130946 times)

wallie79r

• Bay Watcher
  • Ravenous Seal
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #825 on: January 06, 2010, 02:31:22 pm »

Not quite a facepalm, but nonethless glorious. Playing with the Unleashed Mod, got attacked by a Mephansteras, a scary insectoid megabeast. My military has recently suffered some setbacks, so I seal the fort. The Mephansteras, who happens to go by the name of Abare Phantomfight the Abyssal Fist, blunders into my trading post and starts slaughtering merchants. Somehow, the caravan guards manage to cut out both of his eyes and exhaust him. I, sensing an opportunity, open the gates and send out my military, consisting entirely of poorly-trained swords and marksdwarves. The battle has now been going on for almost a season, as my militia is completely incapable of wounding the beast and Abare is too blind and too sleepy to be useful. I haven't lost any dwarves yet, but one of my fighters is starting to get a little dehydrated. Abare has 8 bolts and spears stuck in various parts of his anatomy, none of which has accomplished anything. Suggestions?
This world will burn and with it end the reign of man, a mercy stroke!

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 06, 2010, 02:33:26 pm »

I just found out that you can build wells above water, as in, with space inbetween.

Actually, don't you have to build them that way?
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 06, 2010, 03:10:47 pm »

I just found out that you can build wells above water, as in, with space inbetween.

Actually, don't you have to build them that way?

You can build them the z-level right above the water (or above empty space), it's just he didn't realize the wells didn't always have to be exactly the level above the water.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 06, 2010, 04:10:29 pm »

Yeah it just never clicked to me that the bucket and rope would be making a trip down to the water, instead I was thinking of it like any other well in a video game.

Granted, no other video game of management has more than 2-3 z levels.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 06, 2010, 04:55:30 pm »

Is it still the case that deeper wells are somehow more appealing?

Mind you I stopped caring about appeal for wells a while ago, since I prefer they stay the hell out of there unless they need to fetch water for a wounded dorf.  I have a half-dozen Urist McTimmy corpses in that cistern.  I do still keep one z-level for a buffer against overflow in case my shutoff system malfunctions.

Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 06, 2010, 05:33:24 pm »

I made myself a nice artificial lake by diverting a brook. It's 6 Z-levels deep, but about 2 screens tall. So, a nice sized lake, with tons of water, and flow from a brook. I decide I'm going to try that "drain through a fortification on the edge" trick I've heard about. I channel out 3 fortifications, because I'm being careful not to wind up with too much flow through there. That could cause flooding!

So, I dig myself a nice 1 tile drainage hallway, leading up to those fortifications. I had some stairs near the fortifications, so I could start work on it. I set up a door with a lever, so I could stop the flow if need be. This was definitely a good idea.

I pulled the lever, and I thought the game froze. I glance at the FPS, and it's dropped from 100 to 6. Something has clearly gone wrong. I edge over to the drain, and I see it's already entirely filled, instantly, with water. Suddenly, I start getting cave in messages from my nearby magma pipe.

I'd forgotten entirely that the drain point was 7 z-levels lower than the top of the lake. The massive water pressure instantly flooded the entire bottom right corner of my map, and sealed off the volcano. It was awesome.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #831 on: January 06, 2010, 06:55:57 pm »

Not quite a facepalm, but nonethless glorious. Playing with the Unleashed Mod, got attacked by a Mephansteras, a scary insectoid megabeast. My military has recently suffered some setbacks, so I seal the fort. The Mephansteras, who happens to go by the name of Abare Phantomfight the Abyssal Fist, blunders into my trading post and starts slaughtering merchants. Somehow, the caravan guards manage to cut out both of his eyes and exhaust him. I, sensing an opportunity, open the gates and send out my military, consisting entirely of poorly-trained swords and marksdwarves. The battle has now been going on for almost a season, as my militia is completely incapable of wounding the beast and Abare is too blind and too sleepy to be useful. I haven't lost any dwarves yet, but one of my fighters is starting to get a little dehydrated. Abare has 8 bolts and spears stuck in various parts of his anatomy, none of which has accomplished anything. Suggestions?
Cage trap.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 06, 2010, 08:00:48 pm »

Don't think that works on civ forge megas.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 06, 2010, 08:10:53 pm »

The way I see your situation (Mephansteras), it seems that it is just serving the purpose of training dummy to your dwarves. Exploit that.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 06, 2010, 09:41:07 pm »

The way I see your situation (Mephansteras), it seems that it is just serving the purpose of training dummy to your dwarves. Exploit that.

I don't know if it's possible to cause dwarves to break off attacking unless they somehow lose sight of the enemy, which could be a problem. Sometimes they'll even ignore starvation or thirst to keep going.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 06, 2010, 10:04:46 pm »

So much for having a live, indestructible training dummy, huh?

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 06, 2010, 10:33:25 pm »

I don't know if it's possible to cause dwarves to break off attacking unless they somehow lose sight of the enemy, which could be a problem. Sometimes they'll even ignore starvation or thirst to keep going.

Disable the military for those dwarves.  Until they are champions, they'll immediately change from "Monster! Kill it!" to "Monster! Run away!," run to a safe place, then go eat and drink as they say "Hey! I'm sober and hungry!  I need to fix that!" 
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 07, 2010, 02:22:27 am »

I believe if you set their squad orders to "Stays close to station" they'll ignore any monsters not near their station/patrol points.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 07, 2010, 07:07:36 am »

Mind you I stopped caring about appeal for wells a while ago, since I prefer they stay the hell out of there unless they need to fetch water for a wounded dorf.  I have a half-dozen Urist McTimmy corpses in that cistern.  I do still keep one z-level for a buffer against overflow in case my shutoff system malfunctions.

Maybe I am extraordinarily lucky but I don't think I have EVER had a dwarf fall down a well. Maybe once, although it was a long time ago. I was expanding my waterways by channeling so I can't rule out the fact that he had the ground channeled out from under him. I even do everything you are not supposed to do with a well. I put it on the surface, near a statue garden and an armor rack so there are constantly partying, vomiting and sparring dwarves tumbling around the thing.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 07, 2010, 01:33:40 pm »

Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 729