Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2126544 times)

Upright Path

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #945 on: January 23, 2010, 09:32:49 pm »

Building a Magma powered fortress... And marking the above ground area as 'Restricted' until you've built a wall around it to protect the hairy buggers...

Then forgetting that you'd marked it as Restricted and spending a year in game trying to figure out why your dwarves go upstairs then downstairs to work on a wall that's 4 squares away from the first set of stairs. >.>

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: January 23, 2010, 10:27:43 pm »

Trying to play DF with no previous knowledge of it, how to play it, or the idea of it at all.

Yeah, I was stupid.

This thread is helpful for new players :U

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: January 23, 2010, 11:49:33 pm »

Forgetting about an Aquifer when I start digging out areas for beds near the surface of a seasoned fortress.

Yeah... Aquifers are such a cruel concept

Errori

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: January 24, 2010, 11:56:24 am »

I ocasionally like to embark as humans. It's quite fun usually, but axe is replaced with a halberd (if you don't change it every time). Halberds can't be used to cut trees, which I can clearly understand. Well, naturally I have some times embarked to a site with a lot of trees and a halberd... and aquifer. The project to get through aquifer is not my thing (it is nt rare that my only miner dies in such project).

Well guess what, halberd and a dead miner (with the only pickaxe) at the bottom of aquifer... Sad isn't it. *facepalm*

Well the usual stuff I also have encountered; flooding, not a single drop of water on the whole fortress (and if there is, it's frozen through year), 5 dwarves at the bottom of a river... eaten by a carp (or a hippo), humans at beach of salt water (and not much of wood)...
Things happend... all you can do is laugh at your own stupidness ;)

Edit:
Halberds can't be used to cut trees

I've used halberds (or was it great axes? they're the same size, so there should be no difference) when I had modded my dwarves to use them. The trick consisted in telling them to use "two weapons", which should be more accurately understood as using a single two-handed weapon.
That makes sence to be honest... Must try that when I've got enough time for that, thanks :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 01:50:48 pm by Errori »
Learning the thing on the hardest way makes sure that you really learn... untill you forget the things you just learned.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: January 24, 2010, 12:32:19 pm »

I've used halberds (or was it great axes? they're the same size, so there should be no difference) when I had modded my dwarves to use them. The trick consisted in telling them to use "two weapons", which should be more accurately understood as using a single two-handed weapon.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: January 24, 2010, 02:09:06 pm »

Not always. When using a one-handed weapon and set to two weapons, the Dwarf will carry two weapons. This is very handy with weapons such as spears and swords. When they get stuck in an enemy, they will swap to the other weapon instead of running of to get another weapon. At least, so I've heard. I haven't tested it myself.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 24, 2010, 02:14:46 pm »

Ideally, you're supposed to forbid any relevant one-handed weapons before you tell them to wield two. This guarantees that, when they pick up a weapon, it will be a multi-grasp.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 24, 2010, 05:50:00 pm »

It's really 'how many hands should I dedicate to holding weapons' more than 'how many weapons should I hold'.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 24, 2010, 06:24:13 pm »

Yeah, I accidentally ballsed up creating a waterfall. One of my dwarves was still in the way when I took out the last bit of earth in the way and he was sent flying into the pit and splattered 6 Z levels below.

LostxInxThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 24, 2010, 10:03:40 pm »

I found a nice embark site, 4x4, 1 non-mountain tile, obsidian mountain with a somewhat flat edge to dig into right next to the 1 embark tile of soil, and right near the (already exposed) magma pipe, great spot to strike the earth.
Once I had my workshops and farms set up, I decided to get a jump start on my defences with a magma moat.
I forgot where exactly I had put my farms, and I managed to have channelled my magma moat into my farms, food stockpile, and 5 of my 7 dwarves *facepalm*.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 24, 2010, 11:46:59 pm »

I channeled a river into the top of a magma pool

I dont know what i was thinking it didnt really do anything.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 25, 2010, 12:20:12 am »

I channeled a river into the top of a magma pool

I dont know what i was thinking it didnt really do anything.
Somehow I doubt that; when I drove a river onto the top of a magma pool, the result was a slowly growing cap of obsidian, which eventually covered it and kept fire imps from threatening my poor dwarfs.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: January 25, 2010, 12:26:33 am »

that was the intent, me trying to kill the fire monstors but i thought it would like cause a cataclysmic explosion idk i kinda did it without thinking.

do you think that maybe i created a sona?

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 25, 2010, 12:47:09 am »

that was the intent, me trying to kill the fire monstors but i thought it would like cause a cataclysmic explosion idk i kinda did it without thinking.

do you think that maybe i created a sona?
Don't know if it'd kill them, considering that they'd probably be in one of the lower layers, but it should not cause any kind of explosion, saving large clouds of steam. You might create some sort of sauna effect, if you can ensure that the magma isn't consumed entirely in the attempt.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 25, 2010, 01:37:45 am »

from what i cn tell it basicly made this kind of "whip cream on hot chocolate"

except the chocolate has evil fire creatures.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 729