Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 135122 times)

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #315 on: July 17, 2009, 11:28:22 am »

how about having everyone be anonymous in the dead chat?

I mean, everyone named the same.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 17, 2009, 11:44:09 am »

Had a couple of thoughts on some roles.

Mad Scientist:
  Change to the Sentry Guns: Functions like the paranoid war vet, attacking and killing anyone who comes snooping around the Mad Scientist's house. However, it has limited ammo (it is just a prototype version), and only works for one night. Should the Mad Scientist be attacked, it is the Sentry Gun that is destroyed not the Scientist. Once destroyed, the Sentry gun cannot protect against any further attacks that night.Like the War Vet's ability, the gun can be turned off for a night. This makes the house safe for friendly visitors but leaves the Mad Scientist vulnerable to attack.

That should make the gun much more useful (since no one has ever taken it, I figure it's a bit weak).

New Gadget (For MS and Aliens): Mind Control Ray: Once per game you can choose the target of another player's Night Action. If the player does not get a regular night action, or has a limited use Night Action and did not choose to use it, the ray is wasted. If used on a Doppelganger without a power role, it can only direct their action if they are the one performing the night kill.

----

Changes to the Alien Scientist to make him more likely to actually win:
  The Alien Scientist gets 2 tech slots
  The Alien Scientist is immune to Night Kills from non-aliens (he spends the night in his space ship studying people).
  The Alien Scientist only impedes the victory condition of the Exterminator.

Thoughts?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 17, 2009, 11:52:17 am »

Mind Control-Kinda good.

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #318 on: July 17, 2009, 11:55:19 am »

I like both ideas.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 17, 2009, 11:55:58 am »

I like the change to the sentry gun, and the mind control ray bears a striking resemblance to the situational mind controller from my mafia way back when.

the smc wasn't very successful, but he was never really played to full effect.

Also, the scientist now seems to be a souped-up survivor, and the immunity to nightkills makes it overpowered, I dare say.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 17, 2009, 12:03:59 pm »

I like the change to the sentry gun, and the mind control ray bears a striking resemblance to the situational mind controller from my mafia way back when.

the smc wasn't very successful, but he was never really played to full effect.

Also, the scientist now seems to be a souped-up survivor, and the immunity to nightkills makes it overpowered, I dare say.

The mind control ray could be interesting. We'll have to see how it goes.

The Scientist is a bit like the survivor, but he has a much more difficult win condition then just survive, which is why I made him immune to human and dopp nightkills. I think he'll have a hard enough time winning even if he does survive to the end, let alone worrying about getting whacked during the night by the dopps.

But I want to hear more opinions on it, since I'm not convinced that it isn't overpowered.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 17, 2009, 12:44:55 pm »

Mad Scientist:
  Change to the Sentry Guns: Functions like the paranoid war vet, attacking and killing anyone who comes snooping around the Mad Scientist's house. However, it has limited ammo (it is just a prototype version), and only works for one night. Should the Mad Scientist be attacked, it is the Sentry Gun that is destroyed not the Scientist. Once destroyed, the Sentry gun cannot protect against any further attacks that night.Like the War Vet's ability, the gun can be turned off for a night. This makes the house safe for friendly visitors but leaves the Mad Scientist vulnerable to attack.

That should make the gun much more useful (since no one has ever taken it, I figure it's a bit weak).

New Gadget (For MS and Aliens): Mind Control Ray: Once per game you can choose the target of another player's Night Action. If the player does not get a regular night action, or has a limited use Night Action and did not choose to use it, the ray is wasted. If used on a Doppelganger without a power role, it can only direct their action if they are the one performing the night kill.

----

The Alien Scientist is immune to Night Kills from non-aliens (he spends the night in his space ship studying people).

Thoughts?

So, that seems to mean that the scientist would only have to worry about the exterminator and lynching, which means that once the exterminator is dead claiming might well be viable (since he's more pro-town than the survivor: He and the town want the game to go on longer, whereas the dopps and the survivor want it to be over quickly), which doesn't seem good to me. I'd probably make it a one-shot immunity + reveal thing, so a dopp trying to kill him would fail, but know he was the scientist and could kill him if they attacked again. That might or might not also apply to the first kill from an AWV and agent hunter in the same game (IE I'm not sure if it should be a single immunity or one immunity per kill-source).

With the sentry guns, I think that it's that the PWV's ability is indiscriminate, and the other options suit more active play better. If I was going to change the sentry guns, I'd have them warn (and block) non-violent visitors, and shoot violent ones. Or something of that nature.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 17, 2009, 12:48:15 pm »

How about the Sentry Guns only shoot non-humans?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 17, 2009, 08:49:39 pm »

How about we stop making things more powerful and adding more things?

Mad Scientist:

----

Thoughts?
The Alien Scientist is dumb. That means you have how many nights to study how many people?

Let's math it up: You have 18 people, 4 dopps, 1 EA, 1 OA, 1 Scientist.
This means Night 1 you have a total of 1 lynch, 0-3 kills, with one person studied, who may or may not be killed.
1-4 dead, 1 studied.
Another lynch, 0-2 dead, 1 studied
2-7 dead out of 18, 2 studied.
That means out of 11 people, you would only have 2 people scanned. The likelihood they will remain alive? Not very.

Also, you have just become the most important town baseman EVER. You can't die, you find out roles and you roleblock. You're basically a Kill-Immune Combined Cop Roleblocker. No one's going to lynch you. The Exterminator may try to kill you, but that's pointless unless he finds you out.

So, your only chance of winning is to find the Exterminator Alien, kill him, then make a secret deal with the Doppelgangers not to reveal them for their kill information, as well as guiding the town exactly.

Then you might have a chance. But then you really can't lose. It just seems... lame. I think the way we had it before with the few roles we had was simple and eloquent, but the many we have now is too much. Maybe if you made multiples of roles or something and cut back on the number of different roles. It'll be more fun, since more people will have roles, it'll make Doppelgangers not have to worry about claims, and it'll make the game less crazy.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 17, 2009, 09:17:04 pm »

On the scientist: I think instead of merely stealing the target up in his ship for the night, he stole them out of the game. They aren't dead, so they can't post on the dead chat, but they also aren't here, so they can't post on the forums, PM, or use the dopp chat anymore. The people the scientist kidnaps can be brought back into the game if the alien scientist dies. Being kidnapped impedes the alien survivor from winning, but it does not impede the alien exterminator, assuming all the other players somehow die. In addition, rather than have to take everyone aboard, maybe it should either be a short list of players or make him kidnap a human, a dopp, and one other alien, or all of them, if you want to make it harder. After stealing the required people away, you should have him instantly leave the game in victory. After leaving, the players on board are gone. They can't even view the dead chat.

Also, might a recommend an alien role that just wants to kill the other aliens? 1 tech slot, and I think it's fair.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 18, 2009, 07:55:26 pm »

On the scientist: I think instead of merely stealing the target up in his ship for the night, he stole them out of the game. They aren't dead, so they can't post on the dead chat, but they also aren't here, so they can't post on the forums, PM, or use the dopp chat anymore. The people the scientist kidnaps can be brought back into the game if the alien scientist dies. Being kidnapped impedes the alien survivor from winning, but it does not impede the alien exterminator, assuming all the other players somehow die. In addition, rather than have to take everyone aboard, maybe it should either be a short list of players or make him kidnap a human, a dopp, and one other alien, or all of them, if you want to make it harder. After stealing the required people away, you should have him instantly leave the game in victory. After leaving, the players on board are gone. They can't even view the dead chat.

Also, might a recommend an alien role that just wants to kill the other aliens? 1 tech slot, and I think it's fair.
Stealing one human, one doppelganger, and one alien is incredibly fair. They should be locked away until the Scientist wins or is killed, in which case they are released. If all three are collected, they are removed from the game.

When the alien abducts a player, they are roleblocked for the night. If the abducted player is one of the species not yet obtained, they are locked away. If it is a repeat, they will be allowed to leave, with some flavor about them being mind-wiped or some such nonsense.

However, certain roles simply can't be roleblocked, such as the paranoid war veteran, who will kill the Scientist. Also, if the Scientist is targeted with a Plasma Bomb, all captured players are also killed.

Does this sound reasonable?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 18, 2009, 10:40:56 pm »

Yeah, I think that's an excellent modification to it. Can anyone see any issues with it? I'll have to make sure that there is at least one other alien in play if there is a scientist, but that's fine.
Come play Mafia with us!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 18, 2009, 11:53:36 pm »

Well, if there are two aliens, the Scientist Alien and some other alien, and the other alien dies, how can the Scientist wins?

Further, if the Scientist Alien abudcts the last remaining Doppelganger, will the game continue? If the game does not continue, then the Alien Scientist would lose, as he did not abduct a human and an alien.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 19, 2009, 05:05:32 am »

Stealing one human, one doppelganger, and one alien is incredibly fair. They should be locked away until the Scientist wins or is killed, in which case they are released. If all three are collected, they are removed from the game.

When the alien abducts a player, they are roleblocked for the night. If the abducted player is one of the species not yet obtained, they are locked away. If it is a repeat, they will be allowed to leave, with some flavor about them being mind-wiped or some such nonsense.

However, certain roles simply can't be roleblocked, such as the paranoid war veteran, who will kill the Scientist. Also, if the Scientist is targeted with a Plasma Bomb, all captured players are also killed.

Does this sound reasonable?

What do you mean "all the captured players are killed"? Would they have been released and allowed to continue playing otherwise?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 19, 2009, 07:28:44 am »

Josh - if the Scientist was killed another way, I believe we decided they would be.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 117