Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oddom's Sorrowful Euthanasia  (Read 4580 times)

Sarcose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Oddom's Sorrowful Euthanasia
« on: July 31, 2009, 02:58:04 am »

Oddom Akumoddom looked up from his bed as the nurse entered with a pale of water held against her beard. A cat trailed in behind her, rubbing up against her legs and almost tripping her. He smiled to see his adorable Kivish Tenshedbomrek being so playful.

She set the bucket on the floor and ladled some water to his lips, and watched him stroke Kivish for a bit before she said. "Some of the cats are becoming a nuisance, Oddom."

He glared at her. "They're just being playful. It's not like I can do anything about it." He laid his head back on the pillow and imagined his seven precious felines and two dogs all gathered around him, to drift off to sleep or at least try to. He was comforted by his pet.

The nurse stood and walked out with a sigh. It wasn't long before his old friend the mayor entered his small room with a quiet little knock. The mayor sat where the nurse was and shot a glance to the cat on his lap. There were two more on the floor around the bed now. "I've been hearing what the doctors have said about your spine, Oddom. They're not very optimistic."

"I know," he said.

"What do you think.."

"I've been thinking about it for years now. I'm a warrior Mosus, not a layabout. And I don't know anyone I talk to anymore. You're the only one left from the first crew. All these new faces..."

"Yeah..."

He continued, beginning to lose himself in his thoughts, "I can tell the new recruits don't respect me or what I've done, even though it's engraved all over the dining room - I'd wager anything that seventy-five is still a sight more kills than any of these other soldiers calling themselves 'champions'"

"well--"

"All I have are my pets, Mosus, and you visiting me, and the nursedwarfs. It's not the life of a warrior."

"You've earned your place at the great warrior's table, Oddom," the mayor said, glancing to the trapdoor on the floor. He thought about the lever just outside the room, marked with a purple exclamation point.

"Yeah, I know. I think I'm ready for it. I-in a few days. Lemme say my goodbyes, what scant few I have."

Mosus gave a curt nod, not one for emotional displays, and began to get up. As he turned, Oddom called his name. "Yes?"

"Will you take care of my cats?"

The mayor's throat caught. He began to open his mouth, then closed it, then finally, "Oddom..." he said, "the---the cats are going with you."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Oddom's Sorrowful Euthanasia
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 03:36:47 am »

:'(

So.. so SAD!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 12:51:36 pm »

...ON AN ALL EXPENSES PAID TRIP TO TROPICAL MEXICO!
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 12:55:27 pm »

...ON AN ALL EXPENSES PAID TRIP TO TROPICAL MEXICO!
*pulls out crossbow and shoots eduren in head*
don't ruin the moment!
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Sarcose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 04:45:26 pm »

Actually, it was sort of meant to be funny in the last line. My exact thought when I realized the situation was was "God damnit, he's crippled AND the source of my catsplosion?"

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 05:52:12 pm »

I have a simmilar problem. I mangled a guy's arm while trying to kill his cat. Only problem is, he is a legendary mason. I feel kind of sorry.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 06:18:23 pm »

*sniff*
Beautiful.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 06:23:45 pm »

I'm assuming that you have over-pressured water pipes running underneath all the rooms?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 09:17:53 pm »

GOING -

TO BE TURNED INTO ZOMBIE BRONZE COLOSSUSES!

Sarcose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 11:18:23 pm »

I'm assuming that you have over-pressured water pipes running underneath all the rooms?

Actually no, but since he's immobile I jerry-rigged one up especially for his rather than try to get him moved to the suicide booth.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 01:49:39 am »

Actually, it was sort of meant to be funny in the last line. My exact thought when I realized the situation was was "God damnit, he's crippled AND the source of my catsplosion?"

At this point I don't pay attention to individual dwarfs. They are just cogs in the machine.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 02:07:57 am »

clearly he was one of the original seven, they always leave a mark with me. all immigrants feel like intruders until one does something special then I start to notice them. otherwise they are nameless faceless dorf fodder for my diabolical plans

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 02:26:29 am »

Just out of curiousity, how was his spine broken?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 04:32:31 am »

I can never remember my dwarves, so it's usually just one or two that make themselves note-able by being spectacularly stupid, or awesome. My original seven just get lost in the crowd.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 06:55:22 am »

I can never remember my dwarves, so it's usually just one or two that make themselves note-able by being spectacularly stupid, or awesome. My original seven just get lost in the crowd.
Same with me. And it sure doesn't help that their names are full of trees :D , kind of makes them breeze right past my head. I do try to keep them relatively organized via squad assignments in the military screen though, dividing them up into immigrant waves, or categories of laborers, and so on. That led to the only organized fort I've ever made, where a large number of superfluous laborer-soldiers were (are, since I just haven't played in a few weeks, it's only in its third year) supported by a small number of civilian experts.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.
Pages: [1] 2