Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Pirating, your opinion.  (Read 12218 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Pirating, your opinion.
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2009, 03:18:18 am »

Can anybody tell me, what's the point of this thread if we start to use personalities? General ideas overall could be great, however coming to discussions of "would you pirate this and that" can lead this thread to a bad end.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2009, 03:21:35 am »

Ok, to everyone....previous question.  :D

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2009, 03:48:42 am »

To the OP, what about EA's games, where they charge normal price, then make you buy half the original content for 100's?

Would you pirate the full game?
No, i would not. I prided myself on having the sims 2 and near all the expansion packs [exluding the stuff packs and glamour stuff]

Congratulations on supporting a faceless corporation with a shitty business model wherein they make you pay $30 every two months so you can get five new pieces of furniture for your little digital people.

Granted, this is good for them, but you have to consider something here. It's a shifty tactic to get as much money as possible out of people, and not really a justified amount for the amount of "new" content they add. There used to be ethics among software companies. It wasn't about making expansion packs every other week to grub as much money out of stupid consumers as possible. Once upon a time the gaming industry was about providing a quality entertainment experience for people to enjoy in their spare time. It's long since become everything BUT that.
EA may make shitty, spawn of satan games, but there is literally NO justification to pirating a game, in my view, the only one is buying the actual game first, then create a pirated version and not distribute it to others. As a developer you learn to have a different perspective.

So what if you bought the original game...Would you pirate that new set of different colored furniture?
No, because i don't like the different colored furniture and wouldn't buy/pirate it, if you truly truly want some of that different colored furniture then buy it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2009, 04:55:40 am »

Or mod it. Cheap and legal.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2009, 05:53:33 am »

I do it. Oh well. Cut me. ~___~.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2009, 08:39:06 am »

Yeah, modding is the alternative.  Some games become a lot better with modding (like Spore, for instance).

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2009, 08:55:32 am »

Out of interest what mods have you got for spore?
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2009, 09:10:37 am »

Bethesda Softworks took this approach in an EXTREME way.
Now I expect any of their future games to be made with a lack of deepness/with some real inconsistances/gameplay problems and still to become great after a few years of modding.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2009, 09:17:46 am »

Pirates:
they want to earn money as other people, though not really in a legal way.
the number of those kind of pirates has been decreasing over the last decade. In fact I can safely bet that at the moment the number of people who produce free torrents (for whatever reasons) outweighs the number people who sell bootleg DVDs of games by an order of magnitude. Torrents generate a lot of things- traffic, complaints, virus distribution, etc. But not money.

Not here.
Piracy industry is a PROFITING industry.

And game... pirated games still legal, cause the ones in power DOES NOT KNOW SHIT about video games anyway.

However, illegal dvd-seller is still illegal. IF the police is not THAT corrupt, eh.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 09:28:24 am by IndonesiaWarMinister »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2009, 09:32:00 am »

I dunno.. it's sort of the problem when you have something really cheap to manufacture, but expensive to produce. I think they just have to go for an unpiratable business model. Fighting pirates is just way too expensive and too difficult. Maybe they have to look into providing long term entertainment, ala MMOs, instead of the 'pretty screenshots, good reviews, crap ending' model they're using right now. The TV and movie industry somehow got it right - they're making millions of cheap/free entertainment.

I pirate, though I'm not happy about it. If I could afford it and if I really enjoy the game, I buy the original.. like what I did with all the Fallout games (except 3), Rome: Total War, Evil Genius, and ToEE.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2009, 11:39:54 am »

Over here we have laws that if somebody hides behind the laws not for justice but to abuse the system for their own gain, breaking that law against them is considered civil disobedience. Or rather, we had that law for 300 odd years before the pro-copyright lobby threw a bunch of money at the courts and make judges agree like sheep when they sue one time downloaders for several million euros.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2009, 01:16:37 pm »

Not here.
not where?

And game... pirated games still legal, cause the ones in power DOES NOT KNOW SHIT about video games anyway.
It was sort of the same over here back in the 90s and early 2000s. I don't have any proof that the people were pirates of course, the CDs were always well made (not some fake looking ones with the name written in marker), but you could tell most of them were in fact pirated (with your 5$ copy of Starcraft you could still feign ignorance , but when you bought abandonware compilations from the same companies, the illusion was lost completely).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2009, 01:54:20 pm »

But doesn't that fact show a bit about the demand? Of course a lot of computer related demand is caused by people having no idea what they need ("what do you mean i can write a letter without a dual core?") But not all of it. If there was still enough demand to justifiy a rack of 56k modems taking up valuable space, from an ISP POV, you would be able to buy that kind of service.

Oh I think there's plenty of demand, the problem is how would you price such a service? Proportionately? If a 10Mb line costs, say, $20 a month, a 1Mb would have to be mere $2, but it would still incur the same installation, maintenance, and support costs as the 10Mb line. And if you priced it closer to the 10Mb line, people would just get that, because then they'd have more bang per buck.

there is literally NO justification to pirating a game, in my view

How about if you know you wouldn't buy the game? I think that's what most pirates do most of the time. If I can have it for free, hey, that's great! If I have to pay actual money for it... naaaah, I'll pass. The company loses nothing in such a case, since if you couldn't pirate it, you simply wouldn't play it at all.

I dunno.. it's sort of the problem when you have something really cheap to manufacture, but expensive to produce. I think they just have to go for an unpiratable business model. Fighting pirates is just way too expensive and too difficult.

Moreover, they're going about it in completely the wrong way. DRM and copy protection schemes? Pirate groups compete for rep and prestige with each other in cracking them! Making a better copy protection only spurs them into even greater effort to pirate your game!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2009, 02:06:32 pm »

I dunno.. it's sort of the problem when you have something really cheap to manufacture, but expensive to produce. I think they just have to go for an unpiratable business model. Fighting pirates is just way too expensive and too difficult.

Moreover, they're going about it in completely the wrong way. DRM and copy protection schemes? Pirate groups compete for rep and prestige with each other in cracking them! Making a better copy protection only spurs them into even greater effort to pirate your game!

This situation makes me laugh or giggle every time I see it.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2009, 02:13:32 pm »

nevermind.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10