How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270388 times)

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d14
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2009, 08:44:12 am »

Are there any translucent tilesets? Even screenshot will do, i want to see it.

In case you're hoping for something more significant, translucent tilesets do not allow multiple objects, items, or anything else to be displayed within the same tile.  The only real effect (that I can think of offhand) is that it provides a tileset maker with a little bit more flexibility in how the background color can be shaded.  Previously, you could darken and/or tint the foreground color by using some color other than white, while the background color was always 100% or not at all.  Now you can more or less do the same with the background color as well.  The biggest immediate benefit I can think of is better anti-aliasing along the foreground/background border of a tile's image.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2009, 11:10:42 am »

It's probably your modding.  Did you generate a new world after implementing your mods?  Is furniture hauling turned on in Orders?

I always gen a new world after any changes.  Furniture hauling was turned off, but I've got no idea how that happened.  Probably slipped while turning on outdoor refuse, I suppose.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2009, 07:11:13 am »

I have a small complaint: when using a larger tileset than supported by your screen, the zoom tries to start out at, say 11x7 (yes, i'm making a big tileset) but can't, so defaults to 80x25 instead, which looks horribly stretched on my screen, and requires a lot of scrolling to get rid of.  Could you have an option somewhere of keeping the default zoom at the closest gridsize that still keeps the aspect ratio?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2009, 07:37:50 am »

Yes, I'll get to that at some point.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Aosher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2009, 10:30:02 am »

I have a pretty major complaint: is the dwarf wrestling bug going to be fixed any time soon?

40d14 runs nicely for me but I want the wrestling bug to be fixed so that I can enjoy playing the game again ^_^

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2009, 10:47:00 am »

I have a pretty major complaint: is the dwarf wrestling bug going to be fixed any time soon?

40d14 runs nicely for me but I want the wrestling bug to be fixed so that I can enjoy playing the game again ^_^

It's getting worked on for the next major release, which you can read about here and here.  The 40d# releases don't have any changes to actual gameplay.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 10:48:40 am by Footkerchief »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 23, 2009, 07:34:16 am »

I would just like to comment that the combination of alpha and zooming gives some very nice possibilities that i an exploring now

budapi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 23, 2009, 08:42:41 am »

I always played DF via Wine, and didn't use any 40d* update. Now using "native" 40d14 I was riddled with more kernel panics than I've seen my entire life... Turns out it's the heat. The old versions never reached ~100% CPU usage. Using cpulimit, setting DF to 50%, it's still a nice improvement over the old versions, performance-wise.

Would be nice if for future versions, through some arcane threading mechanism, some configurable limit would be built-in.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2009, 08:52:42 am »

Awesome  ;D

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2009, 11:30:48 am »

I always played DF via Wine, and didn't use any 40d* update. Now using "native" 40d14 I was riddled with more kernel panics than I've seen my entire life... Turns out it's the heat. The old versions never reached ~100% CPU usage. Using cpulimit, setting DF to 50%, it's still a nice improvement over the old versions, performance-wise.

Would be nice if for future versions, through some arcane threading mechanism, some configurable limit would be built-in.
That's a no.

Seriously. Fix your computer instead.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2009, 12:00:56 pm »

I wish I could offer some sort of input, but honestly, nothing. I get nothing. I got it to work for a brief moment getting ~20 fps with 28 dwarves on a standard map, then after playing around with the settings, any attempt will yield a blank screen, fullscreen or not. I'll stick with d13, which I've had (so far) damn good luck with.

But please, keep up all the good work.

budapi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 23, 2009, 12:11:06 pm »

Fix your computer instead.

I don't want you (or anyone) to give me software fixes for the weather over here, I wanted
  • to point out that it's just unusual nowadays to have ~100% CPU load for just one process, even a game, and
  • to express feelings of thankfulness for providing a DF version that brings my computer to its limits (and thanks to >40°C room temperature, to its knees ;D).

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2009, 01:10:33 pm »

it's just unusual nowadays to have ~100% CPU load for just one process, even a game

Maybe my processor just sucks, but it's not unusual for me.  Every non-turn-based game I know of will hog all the CPU you give it, unless you're already hitting a frame cap (which DF also has, incidentally).

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2009, 01:27:10 pm »

It's less usual today.

What used to happen is that your GPU drivers would get into a polling loop, checking whether the GPU was done yet every single - is it done yet? - moment. This produced 100% cpu use even on games that didn't need the cpu much.

However, with multithreading becoming more common, the driver developers also apparently figured out that it'd be nice to use edge triggering instead. If you ask me, we could've used that a little sooner.

Pato2747

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 23, 2009, 02:49:30 pm »

Well, both 40d13 and 40d14 simply don't work for me (I'm using WinXP) - The process is there, using a constant 6816 KB of memory and ~45% of CPU use, but I get no prompt of anything, let alone the fact that the game doesn't even start. Tried changing priority, but it's still not working so I have to kill the process by hand. Mind you, 40d works perfectly fine.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 64