How does 40d16 compare to 40d?

Higher speed, no problems
Higher speed, problems
Same speed, no problems
Same speed, problems
Lower speed, no problems
Lower speed, problems

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 64

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16  (Read 270397 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d16
« Reply #375 on: September 02, 2009, 05:33:39 pm »

If I may ask, what settings are you using for print mode? Standard/partial or one of the other options?
And if partial, what number?

I can't seem to get any speed increase out of any of the 40d# versions..
My current fortress, 5x5 area, 165 dwarves, 50-ish loose animals, completely flat map (minimal # of z-levels), brook, small 6 z-level magma pool, no other features fluctuates between 9-18 FPS both in normal 40d as in the 40d# versions I tested, with FPS_CAP:140 and GFPS_CAP:8.
I was SO hoping for a speed increase.. I really want to play a map with underground features, HFS and/or more z-levels.

I'm playing on a laptop, running XP pro on AMD Turion64X2, ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 with 2Gb Ram
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Postius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 02, 2009, 07:37:08 pm »

You do know that you already ARE using a tileset?
All you have to do is change it.
Ah i found it :) thanks for the pointer. I'm still getting a bit used to looking in the ini's myself, takes me back to the old days ;D.

Still if i activatd the Mayday graphivs set, ingame the walls look different from your other set i was using(which is really good). It's not a problem, but i just got used to all the rock icons. Perhaps anyway to get the walls to look the same as in your other tileset?

personjerry

• Bay Watcher
  • Big Towers = Fun Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 02, 2009, 09:23:20 pm »

error running 40d16:

[abc@abc-system]@file:/df.16$ ./df -sound_output ALSA
mkdir: cannot create directory `unused_libs': File exists
mv: cannot stat `libs/libSDL*': No such file or directory
Segmentation fault
[abc@abc-system]@file:/df.16$

On the other hand, my 40d15 (i think that's the version, it might be earlier) still works. Good thing I didn't delete it. Any workarounds?

EDIT: From the previous version working and the fact that I'm a developer who works with SDL/OpenGL, yes I have those libraries installed.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:25:47 pm by personjerry »
SPOILER ALERT
Build a Trade Depot anywhere on the map.  now hold Shift+D (Depot access display) while viewing a Z-level that has been completely untouched by miners.  All 'normal' stone areas will have big red D's all over them.  Any area with *any* sort of site feature will be blank (no D's). 

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 02, 2009, 11:55:15 pm »

Any suggestions on some settings that will give me a full-screen DF with this version on my laptop that will actually use all the space the way 40d up to 40d11 did?

My monitor resolution is set to 1680x1050. I'd prefer a square ascii tileset, but really I just want to be able to play this version without losing half my screen to empty space.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 03, 2009, 12:01:42 am »

Dont know if already mentioned... and dont know if its still true.

In 40d14 (fortress mode) I set the movement cursor for z levels to / and *. Like in ye olde mayday sets.

From then on I was kinda unable to set reserved barrels. Also I didnt find the entry for the reserved barrel keybindings in the options.

Any pointers?
Yes, don't do that.  The reserved bins and barrels use the Secondary Scroll group of bindings instead of having thier own.  You will have to also change those bindings to eliminate the conflict.  The conflict you are creating by setting the bindings as you did would also affect the 'q' and 't' workshop menus.

If I may ask, what settings are you using for print mode? Standard/partial or one of the other options?
And if partial, what number?

I can't seem to get any speed increase out of any of the 40d# versions..
My current fortress, 5x5 area, 165 dwarves, 50-ish loose animals, completely flat map (minimal # of z-levels), brook, small 6 z-level magma pool, no other features fluctuates between 9-18 FPS both in normal 40d as in the 40d# versions I tested, with FPS_CAP:140 and GFPS_CAP:8.
I was SO hoping for a speed increase.. I really want to play a map with underground features, HFS and/or more z-levels.

I'm playing on a laptop, running XP pro on AMD Turion64X2, ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 with 2Gb Ram
There probably isn't all that much of a speed increase you can get at this point.  Most of Baughn's work has been in making the graphics display faster.  You are currently only using the graphics display 8 times a second.  This means that the game play is using the rest of the time.  My work on the input system is on the game side of the FPS counter, and eliminated about 2K clock cycles of instructions per frame.  A decent machine does about 10M cycles, you can do the math to figure out what takes all the time.

If you use partial print you should always try to use the lowest number possible, and shouldn't ever need a number above 4.  If 4 doesn't work for you then you should probably use standard mode.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 03, 2009, 12:06:08 am »

Hmmm...actually, these settings work ok in game:

[GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:800]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:curses_square_16x16.png]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:800]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:curses_square_16x16.png]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

Although they still look odd and squished during the menus and world-gen. Maybe legends, too, but I haven't checked that yet.

Time to start looking through various square fonts, I think, to find one I like better then the default.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 03, 2009, 01:54:56 am »

I started using d16. A great increase from d14, and was able to get it to work. It seems to run at ten FPS slower than d14, however, but the FPS remained constant with the 12 new immigrants I have.

The fix to the right-menu is a godsend, no doubt.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 03, 2009, 03:28:32 am »

There probably isn't all that much of a speed increase you can get at this point.  Most of Baughn's work has been in making the graphics display faster.  You are currently only using the graphics display 8 times a second.  This means that the game play is using the rest of the time.  My work on the input system is on the game side of the FPS counter, and eliminated about 2K clock cycles of instructions per frame.  A decent machine does about 10M cycles, you can do the math to figure out what takes all the time.

If you use partial print you should always try to use the lowest number possible, and shouldn't ever need a number above 4.  If 4 doesn't work for you then you should probably use standard mode.
Ahhh... In that case, it does work.. Even though I don't get any speed increase out of it.
I now changed my GFPS cap from 8 to 20, and my FPS didn't drop ingame.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 03, 2009, 05:33:28 am »

I just tested it with 40d16:

If you use the divide and multiply keys for z level navigation, it totally overrides the "reserved barrel" keys. Maybe I'm missing something, but I dont see a way to set reserved barrels after you remap multiply and divide. In the keybind menu I didnt find an entry for the barrel settings, either.

Doesnt happen in 40d IIRC. You might hop through z levels when you set the reserved barrels, but at least it works.

Maybe that info is useful for somethign  ;)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #384 on: September 03, 2009, 09:00:34 am »

I spent ten minutes yesterday trying to reassign the reserve barrel keys.

Since the menu is now so broken up, and you can't just scan the right hand side for the key it was, would it be possible to get a search function (by task or assigned key)?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

personjerry

• Bay Watcher
  • Big Towers = Fun Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 03, 2009, 09:49:33 am »

error running 40d16:

[abc@abc-system]@file:/df.16$ ./df -sound_output ALSA
mkdir: cannot create directory `unused_libs': File exists
mv: cannot stat `libs/libSDL*': No such file or directory
Segmentation fault
[abc@abc-system]@file:/df.16$

On the other hand, my 40d15 (i think that's the version, it might be earlier) still works. Good thing I didn't delete it. Any workarounds?

EDIT: From the previous version working and the fact that I'm a developer who works with SDL/OpenGL, yes I have those libraries installed.

I am running Ubuntu Linux 9.04, 32 bit edition.

Strangely, the 40d16 works if I download the Windows version and use WINE.

EDIT: Found a fix... very strange, it works if I just run using this command:

./df ./libs
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:11:57 am by personjerry »
SPOILER ALERT
Build a Trade Depot anywhere on the map.  now hold Shift+D (Depot access display) while viewing a Z-level that has been completely untouched by miners.  All 'normal' stone areas will have big red D's all over them.  Any area with *any* sort of site feature will be blank (no D's). 

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #386 on: September 03, 2009, 10:44:06 am »

Just got my 40d16 today. Had d13 earlier as d15 didn't get much praise except for macroing. I'm using WinVista and Deon's DF Complete/Genesis and my own creatures on top of that. I like my dogs, wolves and horses at 1.25x the speed of peasants.

Got a nasty crash on a starting fort (temperate freshwater marsh+brook), which did not happen from the same save file when I did not designate activity zones (first one on two pools, drink and fish, 2nd one on brook for fishing).

--EDIT: didn't crash on later zone designations.

Sometimes the worldgen's history making crashes, probably due to unforeseen stuff from non-vanilla mega- and semimegabeasts. Seems to crash less on small worlds. If I only had a windows exe which gave a stackdump instead of "has stopped working".
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:10:55 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 03, 2009, 11:02:25 am »

EDIT: Found a fix... very strange, it works if I just run using this command:

./df ./libs
Now that's strange. It should make absolutely no difference.

Does it work if you specify some other directory? An arbitrary different directory? A nonexistent directory?

Anyway, I'm working on adding extra logging to DF so we can figure out why it's failing, for those of you having crashes. Might take a week or two.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 03, 2009, 11:04:06 am »

great build thxs. ;D

RadicalThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 03, 2009, 02:44:57 pm »

I just downloaded the df_28_181_40d15_linux.tar.bz2, extracted, and it worked. But there is some bug making Xorg go crazy: it takes 90% of the CPU constantly. This stops when I exit DF.

First I thought that the problems came from my 64-bit computer. I got some extra libs, as suggested in
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/System_requirements
The game still runs, but Xorg still eats 90% of my CPU. This even so when I'm only in the menu screen and not yet actually playing a game.

Has anyone a clue what is going on? I have Ubuntu 9.04, the Jaunty Jackalope, 64 bit.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 64