Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water and Magma through same pump stack (at different times)  (Read 1261 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water and Magma through same pump stack (at different times)
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:24:40 am »

Since I don't feel like building more pumps and constructed walls than I have to, I have this idea to make just one pump stack that I reuse for lifting both magma and water high up. I would choose between pumping magma or pumping water by throwing a lever that selects whether the source is a brook or a magma tube, and similarly at the top of the stack I could choose to dump the output in either the magma tank or the water tank.

If I have just finished pumping water, how long will it take to clear the water out so I can pump magma without it turning into obsidian?  How low must the water be (i.e. will 1-2 turn to steam instead of making obsidian?)  Will the pumps completely suck up all the water from the floor below?

What about when going from magma pumping to water pumping?

Here's how I intend to do the intake:

In this picture there are three pumps.  The -> and <- and ^ arrows show which way they face.  The ^ facing pump is the beginning of the stack.  m is magma below ground, M is magma pumped to this level.  w is below ground water, W is water pumped up to this level.  X and x are water or magma, depending on whether the left or the right pump is pumping.
..,,.,. + X+,.,.,,
........+^+.,.,.,
..,...++ |++.,.,.
..m->M x W<-w.
.,...++++++,.,..

Same thing for the output, but with all the pumps facing the other way.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water and Magma through same pump stack (at different times)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 12:33:37 pm »

if you disconnect them from their source, the pumps will pump up all the water from beneath them.   The only thing you'd need to worry about is the source to magma.

So at your source, you'll end up with 1 deep water for a while, which will then evaporate.  Then you're safe to go with the magma.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:46:43 pm »

Why not keep all the pumps on, all the time, but use a floodgate and a 1*1 raising bridge, connected to the same lever to choose the source?

Spoiler: Key (click to show/hide)
Code: [Select]
   %
   %
%%X~|%%

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 06:34:54 pm »

Why not keep all the pumps on, all the time, but use a floodgate and a 1*1 raising bridge, connected to the same lever to choose the source?

Spoiler: Key (click to show/hide)
Code: [Select]
   %
   %
%%X~|%%

I like it, thanks.  I wonder opening and closing the bridge will destroy any of the level 1 water?

Or maybe using a second bridge, underneath the setup with a channel underneath it, I could safely dump water or magma to clear the pump intake.  The pit could be deep enough to not make a blockage if I accidently made some obsidian.  In fact, the pit could even be an obsidian farm!  YES!  The ultimate in re-use:  the same floodgate/bridge combo that selects water or magma could alternately pour magma and water into the drainage pit to make obsidian.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 07:30:16 pm »

You'll have to wait for either fluid to disappear 100%.  1/7 water + 1/7 magma = a full obsidian wall tile.

Your idea for "smashing" water will work, though.  Floodgates and bridges will both destroy water and magma, so you just need to have one in every tile, linked up to an "instant dry" lever.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 03:44:19 pm »

You'll have to wait for either fluid to disappear 100%.  1/7 water + 1/7 magma = a full obsidian wall tile.

Your idea for "smashing" water will work, though.  Floodgates and bridges will both destroy water and magma, so you just need to have one in every tile, linked up to an "instant dry" lever.

Really all you'd need is the ability to instantly dry any channel used by both the water and magma. That could actually be done via a single lever linked to dozens of bauxite bridges that simply gets pulled every time you pull the levers to change the pump inputs. It's clever really.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 04:09:12 pm »

This needs testing.  Although the statement is true, I have pumped magma directly into a 1/7 tile of water (on pump output tile) with no obsidian created.  I don't know if the water evaporated, was pushed away, or was otherwise obliterated.  Thus, needs testing.

Also, you probably don't want to use the 1x1 bridge + floodgate plan.  Although they should activate at the same time, that may not always be the case, so you could have a brief window where both are open.  You're likely to end up with obsidian blocking one or both sources eventually.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 05:02:35 pm »

I was under the impression you needed at least 2/7 water to make obsidian. 1/7 just makes steam.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 05:07:20 pm »

Not sure, I could try testing it later.  I do know 100% for sure that 1/7 magma will still make a full tile of obsidian, though.

If 1/7 water doesn't make obsidian, that could make clearing out the water unnecessary.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 05:41:45 pm »

I was under the impression you needed at least 2/7 water to make obsidian. 1/7 just makes steam.

I've had a tile of 2/7 water spill onto a tile of 1/7 magma, leaving 1/7 water and a full tile of unmined obsidian, so 1/7 is all you need. Reportedly, water dumped onto magma from 1 Z-level above via a pond activity zone will only cause 1/7 of the magma to evaporate, while dropping it from 2 Z-levels above the magma will definitely make obsidian.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 06:30:41 pm »

I've had a tile of 2/7 water spill onto a tile of 1/7 magma, leaving 1/7 water and a full tile of unmined obsidian, so 1/7 is all you need. Reportedly, water dumped onto magma from 1 Z-level above via a pond activity zone will only cause 1/7 of the magma to evaporate, while dropping it from 2 Z-levels above the magma will definitely make obsidian.

Are you sure? I had an obsidian factory set up at my last fort that regularly had cases of 1 tile of water being hit by 2-3 magma, and vice versa. In both cases, nothing formed. The only way I could get a solid wall tile was by quenching at least 2/7 magma. (Note, I have not tested dropping magma onto 1 tile of water, but magma that flows onto 1 tile of water from the same z-level definately does not form a wall.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 10:24:08 pm »

Well I found the saved game with my (naturally occurring) half-empty magma tube in it, so I should soon be able to test both this question and the question as to whether you can increase the default level in a magma tube.

However, I first need to secure a working fortress before getting into the pump stack project.  I've learned the hard way that if you throw all your dwarves at constructing a megaproject and neglect basic necessities your workers don't stay productive for long!

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 11:13:50 pm »

Route both magma and water to a single tile feeding the pumps.

Put 3 floodgates in a row down in the tunnel with the center one being under the channel for the pump above.

Then you can turn on or off the water or magma independently of the pump source switchoff itself, and have the bonus of the center floodgate destroying that last 1/7 tile of water.