Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26

Author Topic: Eccentric player behaviors  (Read 49018 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eccentric player behaviors
« Reply #285 on: January 10, 2010, 08:53:36 am »

I refuse to use stonecrafting or obsidian short swords. That's partly due to obstinacy, partly due to the painful effect it has on trading (either you sell all your bins or you need thumb surgery after three years), but mostly due to boredom. Likewise with obsidian short swords, I'd rather train up an all purpose weaponsmith and use hammers.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 10, 2010, 05:30:28 pm »

I never wall in a dwarf taken by any kind of moods. If they go insane and murder half the fortress... so be it.

My dining room feature tables in a square like so:
###
#0#
###
With the middle space occupied by a statue.

My dining room spans 2 z-levels, and contains natural (engraved) columns.

The entire fortress is smoothed.

I build physics-defying towers, with a single column supporting each tower. I place a pressure plate after the tower (but before it's "inside" the fortress) and position my squads before the plate (below the towers). If they fail, the tower might drop on their heads. I like to think that they know this and will fight harder.
マグマキッド

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2010, 07:17:59 pm »

I just noticed another eccentricity of mine: I always, always smooth the inside of magma and water pipes and power conduits. Always, no exceptions. I haven't the foggiest idea why. These are places that, once they're finished, my dwarves will literally never go, and yet I'm compelled to smooth them anyway. I'm really weird.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2010, 09:46:15 pm »

I smooth the lava channels too. After all, it's the last chance I'll ever get to do that. I suppose I could just do the floors and leave the walls for later. Funny how you can dig a parallel tunnel and smooth the walls from the outside.

For water channels, I've started laying down constructed floors. Only because constructed floors are a way to prevent tower caps gumming up the pipes when there's an underground water source. Of course I use smooth blocks.

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 11, 2010, 10:20:25 pm »

I always use water for my major traps.  Pressure is so much more Fun than magma.

On that note, I keep water as pressurized as possible unless absolutely necessary.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Grafsburg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mad Catta
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2010, 12:01:19 pm »

I usually play as my own made-up race, and I like to do things like build temples (which are just statue gardens), fancy barrackses (barracks?) for my troops, stuff like that.

I also like to build an 'execution pit' that drops unwanted people like nobles and criminals down about ten stories and kills them. They usually explode upon impacting the ground, which is pretty gross to say the least.
"The great thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain." ~Bob Marley

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 12, 2010, 12:23:10 pm »

I also like to build an 'execution pit' that drops unwanted people like nobles and criminals down about ten stories and kills them. They usually explode upon impacting the ground, which is pretty gross to say the least.
You misspelled awesome.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Grafsburg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mad Catta
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 12, 2010, 12:40:55 pm »

You misspelled awesome.

You actually made me look through my post about three times before I realized what you meant <_>.
"The great thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain." ~Bob Marley

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #293 on: January 12, 2010, 04:57:31 pm »

Not only do I smooth water and magma conduits, but if a water conduit or cistern intersects a vein of cinnabar or realgar I dig it out and wall up the hole, making sure none of the loose stone is left in the cistern.  I know that DF doesn't have heavy metal poisoning.  I just do this anyway.  Then I make the cinnabar into mugs and give it to the elves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 12, 2010, 05:44:32 pm »

Not only do I smooth water and magma conduits, but if a water conduit or cistern intersects a vein of cinnabar or realgar I dig it out and wall up the hole, making sure none of the loose stone is left in the cistern.  I know that DF doesn't have heavy metal poisoning.  I just do this anyway.  Then I make the cinnabar into mugs and give it to the elves.
Interesting. Do you do that also with orpiment, also an arsenic sulfide; cobaltite, cobalt arsenic sulfide; stibnite, antimony sulfide; or, of course, pitchblende, uranium oxides? Going like this, I think I might have to build all my potable water systems out of glass. Moats, drowning traps, and obsidian farms will receive no special treatment, but anything my dwarves are going to drink or which will irrigate my farms is going to be somewhat pure.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 12, 2010, 09:57:20 pm »

That's going a little overboard, even for me. After all, where does the water come from in the first place? Either murky pools, which by definition are murky, or from streams and rivers meaning the water's so full of carp waste and offal you could probably burn it for fuel in your smelter.

Obviously we need to petition Toady to add water purification to the game.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 12, 2010, 10:20:09 pm »

That's all well and good, but shit probably isn't exactly as toxic as heavy metals.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 12, 2010, 10:25:05 pm »

That's all well and good, but shit probably isn't exactly as toxic as heavy metals.
Agreed, and you can filter out macropollution like waste and carcasses much easier than you can remove heavy metals.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #298 on: January 13, 2010, 09:21:50 am »

Didn't know about Orpiment, I'll have to start sealing that off too.  Pitchblend I already remove and set aside for the Dwarven nuclear power program, of course.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 13, 2010, 11:20:37 am »

I dunno, I'm no expert but I imagine more people have died over the years from cholera and dysentery than heavy metal poisoning.

I mean, think about it. I dump corpses into my plumbing to make vermin fish spawn for my fisherdwarves. That same pipe, not thirty tiles away, feeds my well.

It's a miracle any of my dwarves survive.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26