Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698713 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #3390 on: June 17, 2010, 12:17:31 pm »

I love the visualizer, but I don't think that toady wants there to be a remote interface for Dwarf Fortress, that is if I remember DFTalk correctly.

Toady doesn't have a problem with visualizers or remote interface per se. He said three main things:

1.) He doesn't want to spend time on the interface yet, because he'd rather work on game substance.
2.) He doesn't want to integrate outside graphics or interfaces yet because then he'd have to work those systems into compatibility as he updated the game.
3.) He doesn't mind Prefix's DF Hack or customization with "Dragonmen" races, or anything like that.

I think as long as you don't to something nuts like Impaler[PgP] did and try to get people to donate to you rather than Toady, you're ok. I entirely support Toady in his decision not to tolerate this crap by the way; it is his livelihood and intellectual property. After all the Toad is a natural resource.... :)

Finally, Stonesense has gotten some new players for DF and thus some new donors for Toady. It's kind of win-win really.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: June 17, 2010, 02:06:53 pm »

I love the visualizer, but I don't think that toady wants there to be a remote interface for Dwarf Fortress, that is if I remember DFTalk correctly.

Toady doesn't have a problem with visualizers or remote interface per se. He said three main things:

1.) He doesn't want to spend time on the interface yet, because he'd rather work on game substance.
2.) He doesn't want to integrate outside graphics or interfaces yet because then he'd have to work those systems into compatibility as he updated the game.
3.) He doesn't mind Prefix's DF Hack or customization with "Dragonmen" races, or anything like that.

I think as long as you don't to something nuts like Impaler[PgP] did and try to get people to donate to you rather than Toady, you're ok. I entirely support Toady in his decision not to tolerate this crap by the way; it is his livelihood and intellectual property. After all the Toad is a natural resource.... :)

Finally, Stonesense has gotten some new players for DF and thus some new donors for Toady. It's kind of win-win really.
An issue Toady has said he had with a true frontend is that people would then feel they needed this external program to play DF, and he'd be obligated to limit the changes in his releases such that he didn't fuck shit up for them. Obviously, we don't want Toady to feel constrained in development, and this leaves us in a rather awkward position if we want to ad a GUI. While anyone playing DF would be entirely fine with Toady invalidating old versions of Stonesense as often has he needs to, if Toady would personally feel constrained, that's a problem. And we can't really rectify it on our end.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3392 on: June 17, 2010, 02:08:06 pm »

How about those of you who want a UI so badly learn to code and build it yourself, and let these guys build their project the way they want.

Munchkin93

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: June 17, 2010, 02:17:00 pm »

I need HELP! This awesome sounding program is not working!

I have DF 31.5 as well as 31.6 and I have tried it on both: no effect.
I have StoneSense 2.1 I believe or whatever is the latest one on the website.

When I try to connect a black screen with "Connecting to DF" comes up and then nothing changes. It seems likes it's not connecting but I can't figure out why...

PE-LEASE HELP I really want this to work.

Thanks in advance
-Munchkin93

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: June 17, 2010, 02:34:26 pm »

Discussions and opinions are fine by me. I assure you everyone here will be doing our own thing regardless.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3395 on: June 17, 2010, 02:38:30 pm »

Discussions and opinions are fine by me. I assure you everyone here will be doing our own thing regardless.
Discussions of something they have said will probably not be in stonesense is probably best done in its own thread though, wouldn't you agree?

Jordix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: June 17, 2010, 07:45:29 pm »

So I made a few sprites to get rid of the question marks roaming my fortress. Nothing fancy, but it's better than nothing. Figured I might as well post them here in case someone else wants to use them.

Elephant, wolf, lion, tiger, jaguar, leopard, cheetah (yes, the last three are mostly indistinguishable).

Munchkin93

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: June 17, 2010, 08:31:01 pm »

I'm not sure if anyone has seen my previous post since it is on the page before but: this program is not working for me, please help, read earlier post for details.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: June 17, 2010, 10:03:00 pm »

nice work on those sprites  :)

maybe a slight colour difference in the last three would benifit? I really like the subtle marking difference though :D

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: June 17, 2010, 10:24:32 pm »

Either jaguar or leopard can be all black/dark. I forget. And the cheetah doesn't need spots it can just be light tan color.

Other than that, great work.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3400 on: June 18, 2010, 12:10:48 am »

I'm not sure if anyone has seen my previous post since it is on the page before but: this program is not working for me, please help, read earlier post for details.
I did see it but don't know how to help you or I would. Maybe one of the devs can help you out.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: June 18, 2010, 12:45:09 am »

Where are you in DF when you try to start Stonesense? You need to be in fortress mode (not in the main menu, not in setup, etc) for it to work.

-

Also, this was a few pages back, but I was just now reading through it: I think that adding ambient sound to Stonesense would be very nice.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: June 18, 2010, 05:53:18 am »

So I made a few sprites to get rid of the question marks roaming my fortress. Nothing fancy, but it's better than nothing. Figured I might as well post them here in case someone else wants to use them.

Elephant, wolf, lion, tiger, jaguar, leopard, cheetah (yes, the last three are mostly indistinguishable).

those look good, have you tried making them colored by skin tone? you should give it a shot, I think it would work well. take a look at the cats and dogs that come with RC2 to get an idea how it's done.

regarding blood, I have only this to say:

http://drop.io/japaysh/asset/screenshot7-png

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: June 18, 2010, 06:04:02 am »

I'd love ambient sound, but its a huge task to get right.  Having a fitting ambience for every tile type, and making sure it's not repetative, then the task of successfully blending them without strange audio errors.

I think it's too much of a big thing to be made by the stonesense guys when there are more visually oriented things that could be added ad imporoved. Stonesense is a visualiser, and until its PERFECT, I think it should stay that way. Any extra work like sound, will just slow down other important goals. (such as the ones in the poll!)

also, many people only use stonesense as a screenshot-creator, because they cannot run it all the time. in this case, sound would be useless for them.
perhaps a smaller sister app should be created instead, if there appears to be a huge demand  for sound?

As I said, I'd love to have ambient sound blending while I play, perhaps with some non invasive UI sounds or alert sounds, it would make the game even more enjoyable, but I don't think the task should be taken up by the stonesense team unless it's in another app, and they already feel like doing it!

Japa, That blood screenshot has me drooling  :D  I WANT! lol
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 06:06:13 am by Maxxeh »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3404 on: June 18, 2010, 06:08:25 am »

perhaps a smaller sister app should be created instead, if there appears to be a huge demand  for sound?
Yes, perhaps a sister app or some sort of optional plugin. Many of us do not care about sound, nor want it in a visualizer.

Japa, That blood screenshot has me drooling  :D  I WANT! lol
Agreed, that is awesome. Did you make a reaction to drop blood all over the place to test it?
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 379