Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698885 times)

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #4140 on: September 21, 2010, 12:46:00 pm »

it's also not hard to have entireley different sprites per profession, but that means more drawing.

Since you can construct everything from layers now it is not that hard to make every profession have unique look with fairly little work. I have basic model with skin, hair and clothes that get colour and on top of that I lay layers with weapons, additional clothes etc. and on top of that I lay some more coloured layers if for example the hand positions change. It's not that much more drawing really but the xml file becomes MASSIVE, especially with both sexes. I'm also wondering if it will impact performance if every profession has like 5-10 sublayers.

And because picture speaks more than words here is what I do with my dwarves:

Top row is male dwarves, second row is females, third is gear for masons etc, fourth is woodcutters etc.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:55:51 pm by belannaer »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: September 21, 2010, 02:21:53 pm »

You could save a bit and do one face layer, one hair layer, and an optional facial hair layer.  Since they look the same a single body layer would work as well.  Doing that would take you from 8 "peices" to 5 (only looking at the top two rows).  4 for a basic dwarf, +1 for beard (and perhaps one more for that beard overlay).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: September 21, 2010, 05:15:55 pm »

it's also not hard to have entireley different sprites per profession, but that means more drawing.

Since you can construct everything from layers now it is not that hard to make every profession have unique look with fairly little work. I have basic model with skin, hair and clothes that get colour and on top of that I lay layers with weapons, additional clothes etc. and on top of that I lay some more coloured layers if for example the hand positions change. It's not that much more drawing really but the xml file becomes MASSIVE, especially with both sexes. I'm also wondering if it will impact performance if every profession has like 5-10 sublayers.

And because picture speaks more than words here is what I do with my dwarves:

Top row is male dwarves, second row is females, third is gear for masons etc, fourth is woodcutters etc.
demopic.

cough. Ignoring for the moment that I am not the best of sprite artists.

Certainly makes creating the sprites easy. <3 layers.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #4143 on: September 22, 2010, 02:03:57 am »

Guys (and gals. (I've learned)), this is looking really promising. We can't wait to see what you come up with :D

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: September 22, 2010, 03:16:48 am »

There is also a distinct possibility of getting the materials for clothes.

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: September 22, 2010, 03:56:05 am »

There is also a distinct possibility of getting the materials for clothes.

If there is going to be a support for materials in code can the xml handle if cases? IF METAL use sublayer ELSE use this sublayer etc.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:13:59 am by belannaer »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: September 22, 2010, 04:08:48 am »

it's possible. we'd have to see how well the system works.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: September 22, 2010, 04:43:51 pm »

Ugh... Doesn't work with 3112. For me, at least. Anybody else able to run with 3112? =|
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: September 22, 2010, 09:14:53 pm »

we're getting there.

right now, we've managed to get everything but creatures to wrk. we'll release when they do.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: September 23, 2010, 04:13:30 am »

I meant that it doesn't connect... Including with the memory.xml. Ah well, I'll quit bothering ye and get back to farming goblins.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

lazylonelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: September 27, 2010, 11:21:45 am »

It doesn't even start on my WinXP Pro :-[
And -- yes, I'm waiting for it too.

P.S. Used it with 40d last time

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: September 28, 2010, 11:28:24 am »

TLDR thread... so, here's a question:

Is there a way to make ramps appear "smooth" if they're "anchored" to a smoothed wall? Like, it can be altered in the Stonesense raws or does that have to be modified at the source code level.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: September 28, 2010, 12:19:07 pm »

as far as I know, no, it would require sourcecode changes, as ramps in DF cannot actually be smoothed, so the surrounding tiles would need to be checked for smoothness, and overall, it's a huge can of worms.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: September 28, 2010, 01:15:43 pm »

Would be nice though.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: September 28, 2010, 02:35:57 pm »

as far as I know, no, it would require sourcecode changes, as ramps in DF cannot actually be smoothed, so the surrounding tiles would need to be checked for smoothness, and overall, it's a huge can of worms.

Well, the program already checks around every ramp to see if there are walls to determine the ramp orientation, so it's probably a much smaller can of worms...
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 379