Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698697 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #4470 on: December 28, 2010, 10:07:46 am »

DF31.16 compatible.
Is it planned to make it working with 0.31.18?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4471 on: December 28, 2010, 10:26:08 am »

you should know that dark tundra is doing something similar, though he's been inactive recently.

also, this document may be helpful:

http://code.google.com/p/stonesense/source/browse/trunk/Sprite%20Guide.txt
Thank you, you pointed me to the exact same document two pages ago ;).

I didn't know that about dark_tundra's attempts, but what I see from his screenshots it's not quite what I wanted to do.(I'm more of a handspriting person)  According to the forum he hasn't been around for over a year though :s.
I'm happy people like the grass, I'll release that tonight then :).

EDIT: Sorry, he has been around today, he just lurks.

Kogut, compatability depends on the compatibility of DFhack. DFhack not compatible with DF == Stonesense not compatible.
DFhack can't find critters == Stonesense can't find critters. etc.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:24:50 am by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: December 28, 2010, 10:36:47 am »

more like 10 days.

my memory is terrible.

frog3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: December 28, 2010, 12:17:13 pm »

I loaded up my fortress alright but I can't see my dwarves, what am I doing wrong?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: December 28, 2010, 02:29:14 pm »

creatures are not supported in the latest release.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4475 on: December 28, 2010, 05:14:12 pm »

Alright, here's the darker grass: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3617

Just unzip the file inside the stonesense directory and add GD/index.txt to the index file, above all the other entries.

If you don't like the ramps, go into the GD directory, delete SSGDramps1.png and rename SSGDramps2.png into SSGDramps1.png.

I hope you'll enjoy!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In the meantime, I have managed to figure out the xml system well enough to figure out darktiles for insides. But I think I need to draw a whole lot of these things before I can really start modding it. (I've been winging it with trial and error now, but I presume the terrain values can somehow be found with df hack?)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: December 28, 2010, 05:34:00 pm »

Personally, it's the inside I had no problem with, but the overly bright outside was *blech* ... well, there are a few that could be toned down.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4477 on: December 28, 2010, 06:08:04 pm »

Personally, it's the inside I had no problem with, but the overly bright outside was *blech* ... well, there are a few that could be toned down.

Well, I don't mind the insides too much when it comes to colours. However, I don't really like the fact that everything's a pallete swap of eachother. So I'm going to see if I can do something about that.(Though, I have to admit, trying to figure out how to make a tile for something like 'raw native silver' is actually quite hard...)

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: December 28, 2010, 07:58:12 pm »

... I presume the terrain values can somehow be found with df hack?)
Spoiler: Value list (click to show/hide)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4479 on: December 28, 2010, 08:16:36 pm »

... I presume the terrain values can somehow be found with df hack?)
Spoiler: Value list (click to show/hide)
Thanks you!
I'll go decipher that then :)

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: December 29, 2010, 03:12:11 am »

Well, I don't mind the insides too much when it comes to colours. However, I don't really like the fact that everything's a pallete swap of eachother. So I'm going to see if I can do something about that.(Though, I have to admit, trying to figure out how to make a tile for something like 'raw native silver' is actually quite hard...)

You could look at my set for inspiration. I didn't really worry about trying to make mine fit in with the rest of the art, since I had a half-baked plan to replace ALL the graphics, but I did make every wall type.

I didn't worry about making them visually distinct from each other though, except for the ones that actually ARE visually distinct in real life, like malachite. But they are mostly more exaggerated in their unique features than in real life.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2188428/stone_sheet.png

EDIT: I just had a sudden, unrelated idea.

What if you detected the stone *layer* of a wall, and drew that, then drew another sprite of the actual material that was just veins/crystals/clusters embedded in the layer sprite? For the sake of making terrain feel more cohesive, and things like precious metals and gems looking better.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:16:06 am by Jadael »
~ T

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: December 29, 2010, 03:15:17 am »

You could look at my set for inspiration. I didn't really worry about trying to make mine fit in with the rest of the art, since I had a half-baked plan to replace ALL the graphics, but I did make every wall type.

I didn't worry about making them visually distinct from each other though, except for the ones that actually ARE visually distinct in real life, like malachite. But they are mostly more exaggerated in their unique features than in real life.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2188428/stone_sheet.png

these look pretty good, actually.

I'm gonna go ahead and stick em in a sheet.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: December 29, 2010, 04:22:33 am »

There's a sheet version and old XML files here, if that helps. I never bothered to keep the set up to date.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2188428/jadael_stones.zip
~ T

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4483 on: December 29, 2010, 10:29:57 am »

EDIT: I just had a sudden, unrelated idea.

What if you detected the stone *layer* of a wall, and drew that, then drew another sprite of the actual material that was just veins/crystals/clusters embedded in the layer sprite? For the sake of making terrain feel more cohesive, and things like precious metals and gems looking better.
I was considering of doing this as well, though I'm thinking of how to order that in the xml.
Speaking of which, how do you seperate the different materials and layers anyway? I mean I'm looking at jadael's file and it mentions "<subtype value="SILT" />" but I don't know if that's still a valid command...

Looking into it though, it seems that certain materials only appear in certain veins. Like, gold-ore is basically gold mixed with quartz. It's quite pretty.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: December 29, 2010, 10:47:14 am »

While you cannot have a different sprite for a different layer, for the same vein, you can do palette swapping to achieve a similar effect, where part of the sprite is colored by the layer material, and part is colored by the vein material, or not colored at all.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 379