Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698644 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #4515 on: January 05, 2011, 04:17:41 am »

not really. the part that takes time is the actual drawing.

each tile consist of a number of layers. when drawing, stonesense check various conditions to see weather or not it should be drawn. these include border conditions, bloodlevels, etc. adding temperature onto there isn't hard.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4516 on: January 06, 2011, 01:40:30 pm »

@therahedwig: I love the work you've been doing, these screenshots you posted look pretty great. I'm particularly a fan of the grass. If you ask me it's better contrast than what we used to have (especially with snow). I'm really excited to see how your graphics pack turns out. BTW, did you check out the Stonesense Content Repository over at the DF wiki?
I happy you like it. I did know about the repository, but I had forgotten about it. I should see how to put up my stuff there then.

Anyway. The messyness problem may have had something to do with bad tiling. So I've fixed the bad tiling, and made both speckled and unspeckled.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: January 06, 2011, 02:23:21 pm »

They both look much better, and the unspeckled one looks great.  The only other criticism that comes to mind is that the goldish-brown tiles in the lower right look a little pixellated, especially on the southeast side where the contrast is highest.  I really like the sense of texture conveyed on that side, but I think it'd look better if the light pixels had softer edges.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4518 on: January 06, 2011, 06:05:16 pm »

Well, I might redraw the rough one for that, considering how the minerals I coloured like that look.
Mica Orthoclase and Microcline

In the meantime, I'm having trouble with cassiterite...

Right now it's looking more orblike then kristal-like. Should I make it more cristal-like or should I keep it? In the worst case I can use it for raw malachite.

After this I can start on the metamorphics, because that's what my first cavern is mostly made of.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

linchowlewy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: January 06, 2011, 06:43:20 pm »

Awesome program, really cool seeing my fortress as something not text.

But currently i'm having the problem of none of my dwarves/animals/piles showing

is this a common problem? did i install it wrong? any help would be appreciated. thanks :D

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #4520 on: January 06, 2011, 06:49:24 pm »

Awesome program, really cool seeing my fortress as something not text.

But currently i'm having the problem of none of my dwarves/animals/piles showing

is this a common problem? did i install it wrong? any help would be appreciated. thanks :D

Glad you like it :)
What version on DF are you running? I think dwarves and animals are not done for .18 yet.
Piles and objects in general never really worked in Stonesense; there are too many of them (100,000+ in a normal fort) :)

linchowlewy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: January 06, 2011, 07:13:15 pm »

Ah, well thats the problem. It appears i am running .18 oh well, how long will it be till they are available? because i can't wait to see my cow farm brought to life

DwarvesH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: January 07, 2011, 03:44:39 am »

Greetings everybody!

Let me start by saying how awesome Stonesense is. Not only does it work well and looks great, but it is also invaluable for people who have problems adjusting to the good old DF look.

My reasons for posting here are twofold.

First, I would like to mention my own efforts. For a few months I’ve been working in my free time on a DF inspired game. It is very slowly starting to shape up, but I have not released it to the public.

But the main reason is that once I transitioned form a top-down to an isometric view, I needed some graphics and I have used the tiles from Stonesense to populate the world. As said before, I only did it on my version and my computer and did not make it public, but I do have a blog and a YouTube page where parts of the game can be seen. Whenever  part of Stonesense tiles where visible, I accompanied the video  with a disclaimer stating the origin of the tiles, giving credit of their ownership to Stonesense and specifying that they were inserted by a third party in an unofficial way.

So let me apologize for taking so much time before telling you about my project. I was busy with development and was not 100% sure that the project would survive. But now I am a phase where I can start thinking about my own tileset and no longer wish to use Stonesense tiles. Still, I thought it would be good to talk about it.

If the authors of the tilesets take offence at me using their tiles for demo purposes as images in a blog, the please contact me here. I’m sure we can come to an understanding. I did not include a link to my blog as I do not wish to highjack this thread, but I will if you desire to see what I have accomplished.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:14:05 am by DwarvesH »

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: January 07, 2011, 03:58:52 am »

Should start a thread somewhere about it, sounds neat. Personally, my tiles are open for use, and I even have a bunch of other little 3D rendered isometric tiles you could have of furniture and dwarfs and stuff.
~ T

DwarvesH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: January 07, 2011, 04:46:08 am »

Should start a thread somewhere about it, sounds neat. Personally, my tiles are open for use, and I even have a bunch of other little 3D rendered isometric tiles you could have of furniture and dwarfs and stuff.
Thank you!

As said, I am trying to get a new original tileset together, but personally I would love to see that else you've got.

I’ll start a thread in the near future, but until then here is a not so subtle way of presenting the links without high jacking this thread: check out my signature if you want to see what I have been working on.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: January 07, 2011, 05:30:09 am »

Catch me on AIM or Yahoo, 'JadaelAngelus', I'd love to talk about the project with you.
~ T

Iceco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: January 07, 2011, 07:28:45 am »

Ah, well thats the problem. It appears i am running .18 oh well, how long will it be till they are available? because i can't wait to see my cow farm brought to life
It's apparently a DFHack issue, and Stonesense used that. They can't access the creatures because they are handled differently in the new version.
I know, my explanation is a bit sketchy, maybe others know more? (It might also be a good idea to add a detailed explanation in the opening post, since it's getting asked every few posts.)
I went over to the DFHack thread but can't find a sign of them even discussing the issue. Though probably, they are aware of it.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping for better gems (and ores?), as discussed a few pages back.
Is that on the roadmap?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: January 07, 2011, 07:40:34 am »

the dfhack guy is busy till February, so there will likeley be no updates till then.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: January 07, 2011, 10:14:42 am »

some of the front page links seem broken
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #4529 on: January 07, 2011, 04:50:28 pm »

@linchowlewy: Yeah it's a DFHack issue, and there's not much we can do about it but wait.

@DwarvesH: Awesome to see your project coming along so nicely! :)

@Truean: Thanks for the heads up, I think I got em fixed.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 379