Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696525 times)

DwarvesH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #4530 on: January 09, 2011, 04:56:24 am »

@DwarvesH: Awesome to see your project coming along so nicely! :)
Thank you!

Thanks to some of Jadael's stone graphics I am trying some really crazy things with stone tiles and layers. It is good to know that for now I don't have to worry about graphics and just code!

I have a question: how fast is Stonesense at rendering? My experience with it is slow but still very usable. Probably seems slower because of the way it periodically reads DF memory. I was wondering about the top rendering speed under ideal conditions, on a good machine where Stonesense gets along great with the hardware. Or at least average FPS that people are getting.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: January 09, 2011, 05:33:15 am »

stonesense is rather slow, at the moment. I kinda went for looks rather than speed, and there's a lot that can be optimised still.

if you enable debug mode in the init.txt, you can see the drawtimes.

DwarvesH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: January 10, 2011, 03:55:58 am »

stonesense is rather slow, at the moment. I kinda went for looks rather than speed, and there's a lot that can be optimised still.

Hmmm, 144ms on a machine that does not like 2D OpenGL. That is almost 7 FPS. Are you using Allegro with OpenGL hardware acceleration? I have 10-13 FPS on the same machine with my engine and OpenGL. But I have 70 FPS with software rendering. DirectX is comparable. I am rendering 300x300x40 maps.

Indeed, you seem to have a performance bottleneck here. But it is OK if you want to focus on looks. There is no need for blazing speed if you have the refresh speed set to 0.2 seconds. Accurate representation of DF maps is far more important.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:59:45 am by DwarvesH »

lemonpieman

• Bay Watcher
  • Maario
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: January 11, 2011, 02:03:26 am »

How do I get stonesense to work in .18? when i try to use stonesense all i get is the "connecting to df" message

taodih

• Bay Watcher
  • Aye
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: January 11, 2011, 05:43:13 am »

How do I get stonesense to work in .18? when i try to use stonesense all i get is the "connecting to df" message

Read through some previous posts..

anyway , you can't for now , seemingy DFhack person is unavailable t'ill februari so it's only a partial 31.18 version, 31.16 does work fine.
I reverted back to 31.16 just because of it.
Aye

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: January 11, 2011, 05:47:12 am »

you can view fortresses withan updated memory.xml, but no creatures.

lemonpieman

• Bay Watcher
  • Maario
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: January 11, 2011, 05:50:11 am »

This is a 300 page thread.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: January 11, 2011, 05:59:46 am »

From the opening post, the one you presumably got stonesense from:
If stuff's not working
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From the previous page, the one you presumably should have read through before reaching the post button
the dfhack guy is busy till February, so there will likeley be no updates till then.
@linchowlewy: Yeah it's a DFHack issue, and there's not much we can do about it but wait.

@DwarvesH: Awesome to see your project coming along so nicely! :)

@Truean: Thanks for the heads up, I think I got em fixed.

taodih

• Bay Watcher
  • Aye
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: January 11, 2011, 06:07:53 am »

This is a 300 page thread.

on the page you posted your answer is found
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[EDIT]... I'm rude today x.x sorry bout that , prolly not enough sleep.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:09:35 am by taodih »
Aye

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: January 11, 2011, 06:45:17 am »

Hmmm, 144ms on a machine that does not like 2D OpenGL. That is almost 7 FPS. Are you using Allegro with OpenGL hardware acceleration? I have 10-13 FPS on the same machine with my engine and OpenGL. But I have 70 FPS with software rendering. DirectX is comparable. I am rendering 300x300x40 maps.

Indeed, you seem to have a performance bottleneck here. But it is OK if you want to focus on looks. There is no need for blazing speed if you have the refresh speed set to 0.2 seconds. Accurate representation of DF maps is far more important.

Well, some extra speed wouldn't HURT. I have a framerate way slower then it refreshes. It's kind of annoying trying to use Stonesense because it doesn't buffer keystrokes, I have to just hold it so it recognizes them at the frame update.
~ T

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: January 11, 2011, 07:00:53 am »

It buffers some keystrokes, but not all.

I specifically didn't buffer the arrow keys, because I don't want a display that runs away even after you release the keys.

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: January 11, 2011, 08:02:07 pm »

Ah, well does it buffer everything else? That's actually ideal, I've just been assuming I need to hold everything.
~ T

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: January 12, 2011, 06:58:51 pm »

It buffers some keystrokes, but not all.

I specifically didn't buffer the arrow keys, because I don't want a display that runs away even after you release the keys.

Could you make it buffer a single arrow key press and throw out any extra presses? that way I could press once for precision movement and holding would not cause the display to run away after.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: January 16, 2011, 05:46:13 am »

Or count how many presses have happened and move by that amount; or keep the current behavior if you press and hold.
~ T

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: January 17, 2011, 10:53:42 am »

I just laugh at the unintended benefits of people not reading the thread. We effectively have a sticky for stonesense, because everyone will keep posing and asking for updates, compatibility for .18, etc.

I'm perfectly ok with this and this post disappearing somewhere on the 300s section of this page.

;D
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 379