Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698752 times)

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #4695 on: February 22, 2011, 06:45:28 am »

Love the new multi-tile trees. I've drawn a quick alder if you want something more to work with. I have no idea how good/bad it'll look in game.

But maybe it looks more like an oak?  ???

EDIT: Hmm... I've tried to put it to a Stonesense screenshot in Photoshop but it sill looks too small. Maybe 2x2x2 trees are still tiny? Enlarging it 200% worked nice, but it was of course too pixelated. I'll try to draw something even larger later. In the meantime, any feedback is welcome.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:51:55 am by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: February 22, 2011, 06:59:34 am »

Trees should ideally have odd-numbered widths, with the center column being the trunk. that tree looks like it would do well as a 3x3x4 tree.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: February 22, 2011, 07:12:29 am »

Right, thanks.

The other issue I can see is that when I try to create a mock-up screenshot, it blends all to well with the new grass. On the old grass, the tree looks nice and is clearly visible, but it's hard to see in the new grass which is a bit more busy and colourful. I think I might have to wait till you finish the grasses so I can choose good palettes for trees in different biomes.

EDIT: This might be caused by not having any shadow. Do we want trees to have shadows? And if yes, shall I draw them as part of the sprite, or will the engine handle them itself?

EDIT2: Seeing as nothing in Stonesense casts shadows, this was probably a bad idea.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 07:33:48 am by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4698 on: February 22, 2011, 08:20:06 am »

Try using blacks to ouline the tree near the bottom perhaps? I think the grasses I made won't actually get black, so it'll pop out your tree. Don't forget to add lighter colours the 'higher' the tree gets. Like the currect stonesense cows: they've got black outlines near the hooves but light-grey outline near the horns.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: February 22, 2011, 08:44:07 am »

actually, creatures in stonesense cast shadows, but nothing else does.

the trouble with tree shadows is that what happens when the shadow is on an open space?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: February 22, 2011, 09:16:37 am »

# stopped regrow from adding extra grass types on a tile

Will this change things? I know people were doing really cool things with the new grasses a few pages back, but i couldn't tell if they were getting the effects through overlaying multiple grasses sprites. If they were, then Toady removing that bit of coolness makes me sad.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

kenlon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: February 22, 2011, 02:10:51 pm »

DFHack now supports .19 - what's the ETA on a working Stonesense?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: February 22, 2011, 02:28:22 pm »

Will this change things? I know people were doing really cool things with the new grasses a few pages back, but i couldn't tell if they were getting the effects through overlaying multiple grasses sprites. If they were, then Toady removing that bit of coolness makes me sad.

IIRC it looked like crap when they tried to display multiple grass types at once, so they were already displaying only one grass type per tile.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: February 22, 2011, 03:39:28 pm »

DFHack now supports .19 - what's the ETA on a working Stonesense?
Why is it that every time I read one of these (usually posted like 30 minutes after the DFHack update) I imagine someone creeping back and forth on their chair biting their nails while humming a song?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: February 22, 2011, 04:06:37 pm »

IIRC it looked like crap when they tried to display multiple grass types at once, so they were already displaying only one grass type per tile.

Actually, we never even bothered. What we did that looked like crap was displaying the grass type that was the most dense, when DF shows the first one in the list regardless.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: February 22, 2011, 04:30:20 pm »

Actually, we never even bothered. What we did that looked like crap was displaying the grass type that was the most dense, when DF shows the first one in the list regardless.
Not to be a bother, but could that be a flaggable option?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

eljacko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: February 22, 2011, 05:03:30 pm »

I tried to use the temporary fix that was posted here to get StoneSense to work with .18, and when I turned StoneSense on it did show the world, but it didn't show any creature sprites. What's the cause of this, and can it be fixed?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: February 22, 2011, 05:07:22 pm »

the cause is that the memory offsets for creatures haven't been found yet, and the fix is either learning how to find them (A complex and arcane process that few have mastered) or travel to the future, to a time when Peterix has already found them.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4708 on: February 22, 2011, 06:55:11 pm »

Not to be a bother, but could that be a flaggable option?
Well, it won't actually matter anymore now would it?
# stopped regrow from adding extra grass types on a tile

I think Toady wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for Deon's suggestion thread about having the tallest grasses show up instead of the first grasses.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: February 22, 2011, 07:35:44 pm »

I think Toady wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for Deon's suggestion thread about having the tallest grasses show up instead of the first grasses.
Ah, good call.  Shows how much I pay attention to the release notes.
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 379