Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698617 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #4830 on: March 09, 2011, 12:07:38 pm »

Here's a good suggestion for you: Have different centering offsets for Adventure and Fortress mode.  I've noticed that I have to readjust my offset every time I play Adventure mode, even tho it works just fine in Fortress.

Also, in Adventure mode, snow coverings dont' seem to be working correctly for "visible" squares.  I get alot of black floor squares where there should be snow covered stuff.  I'm playing a modded version but when I (l)ook at the square I see normal soil ground squares.  But in Stonesense it looks like an unrevealed floor or something.  The ones I can't see, however, are rendered just fine.  Maybe since it's outside my visual range, but revealed, the snow is rendered but the problematic object is not.

To the first: this has been waiting for the ability to tell if it's adventure mode or not. now that the ability is there, I'll add it in.

To the second: I'm not entirely sure what causes this. a save could help.

Necalli

• Bay Watcher
  • amusing ourselves to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: March 09, 2011, 01:15:28 pm »

Yeah, I get a black snow too. I play 0.31.21.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: March 09, 2011, 01:43:40 pm »

In the meantime.

i quite like the flower sprites in this one.. the entire screenshot looks way too busy though. its like there's a full flower bouquet on every grass tile.
to get a more natural appearance there needs to be a lot more tiles that has fewer flowers on them imo.
especially those large white ones completely dominate that particular screen

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4833 on: March 09, 2011, 03:10:47 pm »

Actually, that's only on the mountain biome. That's because the grasses in question, mountain heather, cloudberry(berries, not flowers), white avens and cotton grass(which doesn't have flower, but does have cotton puffs), are pretty much defined by their flowers.

Other nuetral biomes are much more calm looking.
http://img.ie/4c8bc.png
I posted that screenshot in the screenshot thread, it shows the difference between biomes pretty well.(Which is usefull, because unlike what the grass implies, you can't farm in the mountain biome.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: March 09, 2011, 03:19:40 pm »

Actually, that's only on the mountain biome. That's because the grasses in question, mountain heather, cloudberry(berries, not flowers), white avens and cotton grass(which doesn't have flower, but does have cotton puffs), are pretty much defined by their flowers.

I posted that screenshot in the screenshot thread, it shows the difference between biomes pretty well.(Which is usefull, because unlike what the grass implies, you can't farm in the mountain biome.

It looks calmer, but it's still very visually busy.

Also the new trees are so big you can hardly see anything else.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: March 09, 2011, 03:25:31 pm »

It looks calmer, but it's still very visually busy.

I liked it, and thought the trees were too small. I think it is a matter of taste.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: March 09, 2011, 03:43:17 pm »

Well it IS A forest, you know.  It always made me a little sad that the forests seemed so small... not at all what I imagined from the ASCII
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: March 09, 2011, 05:36:36 pm »

One more reason to deforest it all and piss off the elves.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4838 on: March 09, 2011, 05:49:22 pm »

well, either way, thanks to the modabillity of stonesense, it should be a matter of making a slight change to the index files to revert everthing back to how it was.
(The currently the middle one doesn't have dry and dead grasses and the latter needs work).

You know what, I'll maintain the grayscale one and will make sure all the files for the last option are just a edit of the index file away, so that people can choose their own grass, if it's too much of a problem.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Necalli

• Bay Watcher
  • amusing ourselves to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: March 10, 2011, 03:55:20 am »

It's a bit unusual for DF, having such big trees. But hey, that's what they are. Trees. Forests.

As for grasses, I believe this is an actual DF flora. And personally I like what I see here.
The thing is, without Stonesense imagining all this stuff is pain. In fact, all we're supposed to look at is a couple of ASCII tiles with labels. Even Toady, when he makes the game's vegetation grow, can't predict how it really looks like (though, I'm pretty sure he knows exactly what he is putting and where). That's why Stonesense often surprises us.

I'd say, if it's dandelions, make them look like dandelions. If it's a dead grass, it shouldn't be green and lively. And we'll see what comes out.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:07:15 am by Necalli »

UristMcIrish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: March 10, 2011, 10:19:16 am »

Sooo uh yea am kinda confused...

I've downloaded stone sense from the FP annnd I downloaded the memory thing, I use .19 DF... But when I try to start stone sense it goes to "Connecting to DF" then just stops everything and fuggles...

Vargos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: March 10, 2011, 11:34:21 am »

Its surely a stupid question, but: explain me someone please, how i can use stonesence with .21

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: March 10, 2011, 11:38:43 am »

Find a tardis, go to 3-5 days into the future.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: March 10, 2011, 12:51:47 pm »

ah! a time commitment!  :D :D

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: March 10, 2011, 12:58:03 pm »

ah! a time commitment!  :D :D
Unless I travel forward to disrupt this time-line!  /brb
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 379