Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698613 times)

gazj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread - Now 31.21 compatible
« Reply #5220 on: September 14, 2011, 10:14:18 am »

The build system can tell from my PKGBUILD which dependencies it needs by asking the host what architecture they are running.  I can't test 64 bit but I shall no doubt have some feedback soon.

Ok, have worked out the problem with point 2

The default arch linux package does not have user write permissions in the default df directory.  When I give my user account write permission to the df directory fullscreen works with out any problem at all.  With the default permissions none of the log files can be created!  I take it this a problem for stonesense seeing as Stonesense.log appears to keep a list of resolutions.

This could be a mod for the maintainer of the dwarf fortress package, although I am sure they would like to keep it read only and only the data directory write permissions.

Can Stonesense.log be written to the data directory?

I am also running the nvidia binary driver just to let you know on a GeForce 7800 GT

on point 2
Arch uses libpng 1.4 by default so I am just about to install the libpng12 package to see what the outcome is.  Will keep you posted.  Would you prefer me to package it with you allegro?  I guess it helps you with bug reporting etc?
EDIT: Working with your allegro guess it was the need for libpng12

Lastly stonesense seems much much quicker than when I last tried it on my modest hardware.  Not sure what the improvements have been but well done :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:03:00 am by gazj »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: September 14, 2011, 11:03:26 am »

Lastly stonesense seems much much quicker than when I last tried it on my modest hardware.  Not sure what the improvements have been but well done :)

That's from a very aggressive cully algorithm that I wrote.

Still a bit overenthusiastic, though, but you can turn it off if it gets bugged.

gazj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: September 14, 2011, 01:52:41 pm »

Well dont to you then :D and Thanks, it was almost unbearable to leave running constantly before, but now it is entirely possible and my machine is pretty old.

P4 @ 3000Mhz with hyper threading
Nvidia Ge-Force 7800 GT with 512MB Ram
1.5 GB Ram

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #5223 on: September 16, 2011, 07:42:15 am »

The problem really is that DF is meant to be a portable app. AFAIK, it knows nothing about home directories and DFHack/Stonesense follow the same pattern. I could put all the log files into some other directory you could replace with a symlink. It would be still weird. I'm not saying packaging DF is a bad idea, but it's not the best fit ever either.

Hmm... Actually, we can hook any library call. Maybe DF could be made more packaging friendly in general by hooking calls to open() and rediecting them. Not saying I'd do it though. I've got plenty on my plate already. It's probably better to talk to Toady and Baughn about such stuff :)

Still, something is buggy and falls over when the logs aren't writable. That's the problem that needs fixing IMHO.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: September 16, 2011, 01:56:50 pm »

Stonesense is now a plugin for DFHack, so you need to build it as part of it...
OK, HOW DID I MISS THAT? explains my epic fail at getting it to work   ::)
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

gazj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: September 16, 2011, 02:36:28 pm »

Thats the problem Dwarf Fortress in Arch Linux comes as a package in the official repos.  I could ask them to change the package permissions but ideally they would like df game saves in home aswell.  As it happens I do symlink the data folder to a place in my home so it gets in my backups.

The place it should really go I guess if here.  It should really be written to the path stored in this variable $XDG_CONFIG_HOME

Information here http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

I guess windows has some equivelent that by default goes to X:\Documents and settings\USERNAME\etc\etc  (<-- Going from memory haven't used windows for ages)

I can see the advantage of keeping it in the df bundle especially for the devs as release cycles are so frequent and for windows users, altho if I used windows I would personally still move the folder to Program Files, no doubt this would cause me problems with permissions again.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #5226 on: September 16, 2011, 03:14:56 pm »

Stonesense is now a plugin for DFHack, so you need to build it as part of it...
OK, HOW DID I MISS THAT? explains my epic fail at getting it to work   ::)
Just grab the dfhack binary release. It has stonesense in it.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: September 27, 2011, 04:55:20 am »

I have a strange problem, when I run stonesense the program opens but the window doesn't have a physical presence.

I can view the program's thumbnail image in the task bar and it is running, I press f9, it switches to a black thumbnail with some text and then switches to a green thumbnail which is probably the big empty field my dwarfs are in.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and knows the solution or has any ideas for how to go about troubleshooting and correcting it.
OS is Windows 7 -64 bit.
DF is 0.31.25 V9.2

i have this problem. japa replied to read back a few pages for the solution, so i read the previous 10 pages without finding a solution. or, more likely, it was there but i could not recognize it.

also, despite what most of the people posting here seem to think, it is not simple or easy to get stonesense updated from all the disparate sources you seem to need to get files from. as someone who has never done anything remotely like this before, most of this thread is completely incomprehensible, and anything i find that i can understand seems to be out of date a few pages later. packs like this one http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4729 seem extremely helpful, but without being able to first find, and then understand the solutions to problems like the one above im not going to get stonesense running.

i have now spent an hour and a half reading this thread and following most of the links to places like the DF wiki, and getting stonesense running is exactly as out of reach as before i started. is there an FAQ or something i can visit that can get me past all the very basic problems i am likely to encounter for which solutions exist, preferably written so that someone who is mentally subnormal can understand it? i love this program, but with my level of computer literacy i am never goint to be able to find or understand solutions to the problems i am experiencing the way the solutions are currently organized.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: September 27, 2011, 07:43:40 am »

I have a strange problem, when I run stonesense the program opens but the window doesn't have a physical presence.

I can view the program's thumbnail image in the task bar and it is running, I press f9, it switches to a black thumbnail with some text and then switches to a green thumbnail which is probably the big empty field my dwarfs are in.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and knows the solution or has any ideas for how to go about troubleshooting and correcting it.
OS is Windows 7 -64 bit.
DF is 0.31.25 V9.2

i have this problem. japa replied to read back a few pages for the solution, so i read the previous 10 pages without finding a solution. or, more likely, it was there but i could not recognize it.
Start here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=43260.5070
But this is probably what you want:
Whenever I need to move a window that's in a bad spot ... I need to select move, nudge it one pixel with my keyboard, then move the mouse to get the window movement to "link" to the mouse cursor.  If I do not use the keyboard, the window will never detect my mouse position and never move.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: September 28, 2011, 10:06:42 pm »

I miss the full-fort screenshot ability. :(
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: September 28, 2011, 10:08:13 pm »

I miss the full-fort screenshot ability. :(

so do I. :(

I miss having time as well. :(

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: September 30, 2011, 08:33:43 pm »

I finally got around to updating some of my own "Completely useless in vanilla modified humans" sprites to use some of the new coloring stuff I have been meaning to use for ages.

I was going to ask a question, but ended up figuring it out (when the tissue is names "scales" telling stonesense to use "scale" for coloration seems to result in the technicolor dream fort.  Er well it is supposed to, but not in that way.)

I did have an epiphany though.  I always wondered why old sprite games often used a purple hue to identify black.

Well that will be fun to figure out how to get around.

And don't worry Japa, we still love you.  And hopefully you got a little chuckle over my amateur spriting mistake.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: September 30, 2011, 08:46:33 pm »

now that I think about it, There is something I can do to fix that.

I'll add it to the list of things to do when I get back to coding.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: September 30, 2011, 08:57:23 pm »

Th...there is?  I was considering it more of a "real spriters don't try to use jet black as a primary color" lesson.   That would be cool too though :)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: September 30, 2011, 09:00:52 pm »

jet black is the color given by dwarf fortress.

I can just take color and fix it.
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 379