Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698663 times)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread
« Reply #5550 on: March 25, 2012, 12:37:40 am »

He probably is asking which iso projection SS is using. Like this:

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: March 25, 2012, 12:51:08 am »

Japa, EmeraldWind is right...I misspoke (mistyped?) I did indeed mean which isometric projection does Stonesense use. I want my 3d models to look right when rendered into sheets. I know you guys paint your sprites (freaking amazing btw. I'm quite envious ;)  )

EmeraldWind, the image is not showing... What were you trying to show? And thanks for the support! Perhaps I shouldn't write my posts past midnight..I get stupid :p Again EW thanks.

"Ahright, lissen up; you malodorous, malformed, putrescent, 'mok-forsaken lil' mini-orcs! I'm here to drink some tea and kick some asses. Either way, sumptin' gonna get tea-bagged tonight!"

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: March 25, 2012, 12:51:57 am »

regards to which angle, see, that's a tricky one. I actually had to do some pretty complex math when I tried to figure out how to map it to 3d, and I dont remember what I ended up with.

What I do know is that the tiles aren't cubes.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: March 25, 2012, 12:53:22 am »

Fixed that for you, and we'd be using dimretric
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:55:36 am by Japa »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: March 25, 2012, 01:15:31 am »

regards to which angle, see, that's a tricky one. I actually had to do some pretty complex math when I tried to figure out how to map it to 3d, and I dont remember what I ended up with.

What I do know is that the tiles aren't cubes.
Ey, wot? How'd you come up with that?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: March 25, 2012, 01:25:35 am »

The angles are like so:

Code: [Select]
    \117°/
     \  /
121.5°\/121.5°
      |
      |
      |

I'm not sure how to convert that to 3d.

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: March 25, 2012, 01:47:26 am »

Thank you Japa and EW for assisting me in my moment of epic newbiness!

So, Japa does this look right to you?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Ahright, lissen up; you malodorous, malformed, putrescent, 'mok-forsaken lil' mini-orcs! I'm here to drink some tea and kick some asses. Either way, sumptin' gonna get tea-bagged tonight!"

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: March 25, 2012, 01:52:02 am »

How to test: render with no anti-aliasing, and zoom into the edges. This one has a couple issues, but not quite enough to really matter unless you have OCD, which I do.

Otherwise, that looks fine.

I'm not sure weather the pink border is intentional.

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: March 25, 2012, 02:11:30 am »

Ok re: render test.

Re: pink border. Nope was supposed to be pink background..dunno what happened. Checked my image, the pink bg was still there but only a border on img.ie. weird... I'm new to pic posting anyway, could have done something newbish ;)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: March 25, 2012, 02:30:29 am »

hint: don't use a pink background. render with alpha channel.

cousac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: March 25, 2012, 02:32:43 am »

SUCCESS!!

After some tweaking I got it spot on... I loaded the back image and the render into GIMP and as i changed the opacity of the back image it merely appears as if I changed the color :) the edges match up precisely. Thanks for suggesting I turn off antialiasing. Anyway now that I have a template, The rest should be easy peasy.

Oh and if you want to see the result:

PS: I'm not quite OCD, but I believe that "close-enough" equals "lack of passion" which is not me ;)

EDIT: Gotcha, I switched the Alpha channel from sky color to straight up alpha. no more pinks ;)
EDITEDIT: I planned on it, just wanted to see if I can match the tile. Now that I have the right setup I may render in 256x instead
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 02:50:09 am by cousac »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: March 25, 2012, 02:36:36 am »

just a hint: with current stonesense, you may as well render them at a higher res than 32x32.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: March 25, 2012, 03:15:29 am »

The current discussion reminds me that I made this thing a while back for something totally unrelated.  I imagine it could be helpful if someone wanted to do a fast mockup of something. 

A real 3D implementation would be much better though, since different angle-projections could be made much more easily (this thing just draws a bunch of quadrilaterals on the screen). 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 03:21:31 am by Caldfir »
where is up?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: March 25, 2012, 03:38:07 am »

SUCCESS!!

After some tweaking I got it spot on... I loaded the back image and the render into GIMP and as i changed the opacity of the back image it merely appears as if I changed the color :) the edges match up precisely. Thanks for suggesting I turn off antialiasing. Anyway now that I have a template, The rest should be easy peasy.

Oh and if you want to see the result:

PS: I'm not quite OCD, but I believe that "close-enough" equals "lack of passion" which is not me ;)

EDIT: Gotcha, I switched the Alpha channel from sky color to straight up alpha. no more pinks ;)
EDITEDIT: I planned on it, just wanted to see if I can match the tile. Now that I have the right setup I may render in 256x instead

Here's something I found:

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: March 25, 2012, 01:39:43 pm »

we draw our stuff in paint.

That's a bit impressive.  Paint isn't necessarily a bad tool, but it's a lot easier to make something look like crap than it is to make it look good.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 379