Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698674 times)

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #225 on: October 24, 2009, 10:00:32 pm »

Man, if it's there and it's possible to vis it, I don't see a reason why not to ALLOW vising it :P

Well, for starters you need 4 to 8 times as much artwork...

And the dfhack library has only just gotten the ability to tell whether a critter is alive and actually there vs dead and long since hauled off to the refuse pile...

Feedback on these racks?
You had me fooled into thinking they were too large for a moment, but thats just 2x scaling. I think they are d*mn nice. Do you have the armor stand sans-background?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 24, 2009, 10:22:32 pm »

armor rack looks great. the weapon rack, maybe the actual rack could be slightly darker for better contrast with the weapons. the weapons looks a tad small too, maybe the hilt of the axe should go all the way to the floor, same with the swords blade?
just thoughts ..nice work!

I think the weapons are just the right size on the rack.

I like the armor rack, although the items lying on the left (boots? gauntlets?) are a bit jumbled.  A pair of boots standing upright might be easier to discern.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 24, 2009, 10:32:58 pm »

If someone wants a challenge, I could use an itsy bitsy vise attached to the upper left side of a bench (for jewellers, craftsdwarfs etc workshops - it has to be upper left because of the layout of the jewellers)

Grimic

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma cures all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 24, 2009, 11:07:11 pm »

To think how of good this looked initially, it just gets better and better. I can't do graphics work for beans, but here's a few ideas for the actual program:

-Widen, or at least allow for a widened viewpoint that covers the entire stonesense window with tiles. If the view stretches offscreen, this would solve stairs/ramps displaying incorrectly when along the edges of the viewpoint and make things look much bigger and nicer overall.
-Like many have already suggested, allow Stonesense to mimic the current point of view in DF and always be displayed on top of DF.
-Perhaps the functionality of DF's 'k' key could be replicated within stonesense, except you can't view descriptions or forbid/dump/melt items or anything like that. It would just bring up the name of everything you hover over. This would allow you to look around in stonesense while the actual game is left unpaused, possibly with auto-update going on at the same time.
-Use some means of palette swapping (or recoloring) to show material colors and things covered with snow, blood, vomit, etc.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 25, 2009, 12:19:06 am »

Can I ask why we're still using ultra low-res tiles? I completely understand that its an art-style, and I quite like it. But surely we could bump the resolution up - Because I see all these guys slaving over cool tilesets and struggling to get the detail they need out of it.
Furthermore, it is becoming known that we'll be having to make entirely new tilesets for the different perspective. So lets make a move to a new resolution standard before anyone gets too stuck into this.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 25, 2009, 12:57:04 am »

Can I ask why we're still using ultra low-res tiles?
There's a trade off between detail and number of sprites you can pack on the screen. Same reason all the DF ingame tilesets are on the small side.

Add in that stonesense really needs to have the df window running as well and there's really not much room for detail.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 25, 2009, 06:54:37 am »

We are now looking for artists.
Mayday! Mayday!
Also, I'd like to repeat my question: any plans on including custom shaped and sized tiles for this?
I asked about custom sizing earlier (at least when I wrote my GIMP script for easy mockups of iso by screenshot+odd tileset, it was quite easy to implement for multiples of four, if you're wondering)
@CobaltKobold: yes they are, the sprites are stored as bitmaps :) the size is fixed though.
...aww. hope this gets fixed before I get to it, since I'm working on a retro DF tileset in that vein. Anything multiple 4 should work for this angle-pattern- though not much smaller than 16x(16, 8 floor) would work well. (I'm sure some enterprising artists could prove me wrong, but that's another discussion)

edit: Alpha channel support would be a nice feature. Particularly with glass and windows.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 25, 2009, 07:52:46 am »

Feedback on these racks?

You've got a nice pair.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Massena

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 25, 2009, 08:02:42 am »

Feedback on these racks?

The outline of the weapon rack is lighter than the armor one, I don't know why. It should probably be as dark as the armor rack.

Glorious work so far!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 25, 2009, 08:15:53 am »

edit: Alpha channel support would be a nice feature. Particularly with glass and windows.
Yeah, that would be.  Should be easy to do, too.  Just put the images in photoshop and set the layer opacity down to (I guess) 50%, then cut out the parts of the window that need to be solid into another layer (or outline them).  Save as .png, and it's done.

I'm gonna do that just to see how well it works (making it transparent, that is).

Edit: 7cent Nickel, is it alright if I try it out on your windows?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:39:29 am by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #235 on: October 25, 2009, 10:59:55 am »

Things have really been moving fast the last couple of days, and it didnt help that I got completely hammered last night ;)
BUT we are looking really good for the next release, and for those who arn't poking around in the repository I can just say we have some awesome new features coming.

@7¢ Nickel: Excellent work on those windows, I'm putting them in asap. Windows can be built without floors right, in DF I mean? Otherwise I'll look at adding some logic to remove the floors.

The weapon rack and the armor stand are just perfect, there's not much more to say...

@Belal: Did you get my pm about linux compiling? I really want to make this multi platform friendly.

@Katie: I would like to follow the DF cursor too. I think we have enough info to get it, I'll check with Peterix of dfHack...

@The13thRonin: The next release should be done soonish (within a week?)

@kaypy: You're doing great work. But you know that, we talk on #dfhack @ freenode.net.

@dyze: The hats on the dwarfs symbolize 'peasant'. But it's the only dwarfsprite we got so far, so they're all peasants.

@Footkerchief: Yes, I believe Solifuge sent an email to Mike. But like he said; he's a bit busy. Of course, when he gets time, we'd love to get help from such a talented artist.

As for using graphics sets: It kinda works... at least as placeholders. They're a bit small for our 32x32 sprites, but not too bad i suppose...

@Mike Mayday: Nice to hear from you mate :) Let us know when you feel like you have some spare time!
Custom tile sizes will have to be put in compile time (because of optimization issues), but all you really need to do is change ONE flag in common.h. If people really want this i might release a 16x16 or 64x64 binary. would that work?

@Footkerchief: reading graphics packs is something Im gonna look into.

@Nexii Malthus: I havn't had any issues here.. let me know if you find out anything with Allegro? :)

@Grimic: these are all very good ideas. 1: cover the whole screen? sure, Ill add an option. 2: yes. working on it. 3: I made that, for debugging. its not pretty like DF's Look function is. 3: I want that too. Been looking into it.

@DJDD: You said it yourself: " its an art-style, and I quite like it". That's my answer too :)

@CobaltKobold: we want to switch to alpha and PNG files. but it would require many more library dependencies, not good for people who want to compile.

background color?
Sprite list.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 25, 2009, 12:04:26 pm »

@CobaltKobold: we want to switch to alpha and PNG files. but it would require many more library dependencies, not good for people who want to compile.

In case you didn't know (and I don't mean this in a snarky way), DF is going to start using PNG tilesets by default.  40d16 already does.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #237 on: October 25, 2009, 01:58:37 pm »

@Mike Mayday: Nice to hear from you mate :) Let us know when you feel like you have some spare time!
Custom tile sizes will have to be put in compile time (because of optimization issues), but all you really need to do is change ONE flag in common.h. If people really want this i might release a 16x16 or 64x64 binary. would that work?

What I'm most interested in (this is a 2x zoom): http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/upload/fatwallADV.jpg
The SHAPE of the floor tile is important here. Other sizes - yes, but possibly even unlimited tile size... this is a 32x32 floor tile rotated by 45 degrees and the dwarf fits in a 32x32 square, but since the walls are bigger anyway, would it be possible to also use larger creature/object sprites?

As for larger sprites: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/upload/all16.png my OLLLLDD 32x32 images are here.
Then there's also this: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/upload/miner.gif
And this: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/upload/isodwarf2.png
<3

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 25, 2009, 02:31:15 pm »

I'd recommend the DevIL (Developer's Image Library) which is used in Khazad, all our textures are PNGs, it can load and save just about any kind of image file and works well with SDL.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

ChocoHearts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 25, 2009, 03:28:27 pm »

As for using graphics sets: It kinda works... at least as placeholders. They're a bit small for our 32x32 sprites, but not too bad i suppose...
Well, how big are dorfs when compared to a tile in-game? We don't really know - and smaller sprites would allow for multiple occupants, assuming you can put a bit of logic in to shuffle them in the tile...

And I like Beefmo's dorfs, but the other kobolds are better imho.
Feeling dumb is just nature's way of telling you you're still learning.
Elfy McElf: We are here to hug trees and kill dwarves. And it's your fault we are all out of trees.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 379